PDA

View Full Version : Mortising Machines

kershdawg
17th March 2001, 03:42 AM
In a recent estate sale, I obtained a no-name mortising machine made in China. Unfortunately, it doesn't accept any bit that I can find.

I want to purchase another benchtop mortising tool. I have several Delta power tools and find them great to work with, but the info I see on the 'Net really trashes Delta's quality. Does anyone know if their product has improved recent months?

I realize that Powermatic is top of the line, but that's a little rich for my budget. I read some good things about the Jet mortiser. Since I have already bought two Delta bits (1/2" and 3/8"), does anyone know if the Delta bits will fit the Jet Mortiser?

Would appreciate any response.

Iain
17th March 2001, 08:12 AM
Before you go and spend your heard earned dollars on a new machine find out what size the quill is on your 'Chinee' machine and see if you can find an engineering shop to bore it out (accurately) to accept a new bit.
I own a Record mortiser and I had to do this as Record bits are no longer available. Do not attempt to bore it out yourself with ordinary bits as it can shatter the cast quill. Machine shops use a reamer set up in a lathe and feed at a controlled rate. It will not take long and it will cost you about 15 minutes labour.