PDA

View Full Version : effect of carbon price on plantations?

Lplates
28th August 2012, 05:02 PM
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have information about how the carbon trading scheme will affect small scale tree plantations.

The reason i ask is because i am looking at buying a few acres for a house and decent sized shed and hopefully a decent sized garden. So i was wondering whether it would be worth looking at bigger size blocks (5 acres plus) where i could plant some trees and potentially get some cash back by selling the carbon credits. With a view to pass on the timber to my children for their projects if they prove to be interested in woodwork themselves.

Not even sure that it (the trading scheme) will work that way but that's what i gathered from what i have read in the papers which admittedly isn't the best source of information.

If you have any information or are planning on doing something similar please post your comments below.

CHeers
Mat

ian
28th August 2012, 08:18 PM
Hi Mat
as I understand carbon credits, trees planted for carbon credits have to be allowed to grow for 100 years -- that's the great great great grandkids

I'm not sure how thinnings are treated -- either they don't count at the start (which would appear unlikely given what I've observed in respect to public servants' and polititians' ability to think things through) or they count from day one but the "crop" can't be thinned, rendering the exercise largely futile as no worthwhile timber results from the plantation.

Better I think, if you only have 2 or 3 hectares, to not worrry about growing carbon credits