PDA

View Full Version : Oil stone box protection

RedShirtGuy
28th August 2012, 09:15 PM
In the not too distant future I'll be knocking up a little box to store and use my oil stone in.

Is there a particular finish I can use on the inside of the box (around the stone) to try and protect the wood from absorbing the oil and sludge that will come from use? I was thinking about a few coats of simple polyurethane but not sure if the oil would eat away at it.

Christos
28th August 2012, 10:01 PM
This is an interesting question. I always thought that there was no finish to these boxes. The oil and sludge gets adds to the patina.

The thing that I am trying to recall is if I still have one of these boxes. Will wait to see what others think.

fxst
28th August 2012, 10:15 PM
Just checked both oilstone and hone stone boxes and neither have any finish on the inside or outside
Pete

Wizened of Oz
28th August 2012, 10:21 PM
I made one from Silky Oak 55 years ago and finished inside and out with multiple coats of orange shellac. Finish is still intact and no oil has got into the wood.
Then I have another that belonged to my wife's uncle, unfinished, and nearly black from the oil.

RedShirtGuy
29th August 2012, 01:22 AM
The few examples I've seen don't have an interior finish but it sounds like it's up to the maker whether it's done or not.

I asked because I've got a few choices of timber to use and don't particularly want to spoil the good stuff with goop. I'll hold off for a little while longer and see if there's any other input and have a thinking about which timber I'll use in either scenario.

A potential problem with a finish is the turning of the stone between the coarse and fine sides could wear it out and make it pretty much void.

Rod Gilbert
30th August 2012, 10:31 AM
I made the first 2 of mine in 1974 as a second year apprentice out of some realy nice Red Cedar that was finished (probably with estapol I dont recall) outside only and after 38 odd years the finish is still in tact and the Cedar has darkened considerably with the soaking over the years of oil but the grain is still clearly visable.
Regards Rod.

soundman
6th September 2012, 10:19 AM
The problem is what finish will tolerate oil.

Shelac would give it a red hot go, especially Neil's hard shelac.

many of the modern varnishes will simply turn to goop if exposed to oil long term.

Of course it will depend on the wood you are using too, if it is a hard close grained wood, it will probably look after its self and the oil will improve its apperance, if however you use an open grained timber the oil will just about run straight tru it and take all the carp with it, the result will not be pretty.

Also if you have a timber with a lot of tannins in it, the iron particles will get into the timber.....a bit of moisture and time and the wile thing will turn black because of the reaction between the tannins and the iron

Yeh....I recon U beaut hard shelac would be about as good as it gets.

cheers

orraloon
6th September 2012, 10:33 AM
I guess it depends on the look you want. The oil you use may also be a factor. I just use what ever oil I have laying about and thin it if required with kerro. My stone box has no finish and is 40 years old. Not pretty but at first glance you know it is an oil stone box.
Regards
John