PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Pine - turning green

Bruce White
1st September 2012, 11:15 AM
Some really generous people on this site. I just picked up a trailer load of Norfolk pine from Darren (Comgreserv). Thanks Mate! It will be split between me and the local Mens Shed.

Had my first try at green rough turning today. First time it has rained inside my shed. Did it between centres and found roughing the outside a lot more difficult than expected but hollowing out a breeze with long shavings flying over my shoulder. I am just burying the bowls in the shavings in a cardboard box till ready for final turning. Just had a thought - do I need to seal the outside of the bowls if they are totally buried in shavings?

I want to try turning a lampshade - guessing they are end turned from a whole round? Should I pre-turn it green and should I leave the bark on till dry as I suspect that this is where the colour (as seen in some of the lovely examples on this site) comes from? Also, I assume that they are turned as a straight sided bowl and then cut off.

Oh well, back to it - between this load of Norfolk and the big Jacaranda trunk I picked up round the corner this week I expect to move from Novice to Intermediate green turner quickly.

wheelinround
1st September 2012, 02:37 PM
Bruce I saw the post re-giveaway/ well done on both parts.

This was my first go at wet turning Norfolk Pine the log had sat in a plastic bag for months prior turning hence the spalting. As I did this at the club I had a week between each session of about 2 hrs max turning so I continued to use the plastic bag to cover the pine and sometimes sprayed water on it also. Wool 'n' Wood: Search results for norfolk pine (http://woolnwood.blogspot.com.au/search?q=norfolk+pine)

Here are some excellent sites,

The Master of turning NIP Woodturned Koa bowls, curly Koa bowls, thin Norfolk Pine bowls and Kou calabashes (http://www.hawaiiwoodturning.com/index.html)

Norfolk Island Pine Tips (http://www.woodturningblanks4u.com/norfolk-island-pine-tips.html)

A good WiP http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/norfolk-island-pine-wip-129685/

rsser
1st September 2012, 03:54 PM
I found that NIP if felled in the winter here in Melb. was remarkably stable turned green.

One 25cm bowl finish-turned in one session only went out of round by a mm or so.

And turning them ASAP after felling will reduce the bluestain problem with softwoods.

Have never had any luck with finding/producing the colour they get in Hawaii. One suggestion from one of their turners was to wrap in plakky and periodically spray log ends with a sugar solution. Maybe it just wasn't warm enough or we don't have the quality mould spores they do.

HTH.

Bruce White
1st September 2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks Gents for the excellent tips and sites. Given that I have the best part of a tree, it will take me a whole to get through it. I have split some and sealed the ends, left some as rounds and cut others for rough turning - up in the shed this afternoon doing it. I will have a dash at turning a couple to finish tomorrow - be great if that works. I think I will put most of the unturned wood and maybe a couple of roughed bowls into big plastic bags to see if I can get some spalting - any value in tossing in a bit of manure or dirt to kick off the process?
Thanks again,
Bruce

wheelinround
1st September 2012, 05:57 PM
Sounds like you have a fair bit Bruce.

No idea about manure but I do know a bit of Yoguhrt is supposed to work. I doubt you'll need it as the moisture in the NIP and sealed in a bag ill create a damp environment.

I will warn wear a good mask when turning the stuff especially if spalted.

turnerted
1st September 2012, 05:59 PM
Bruce
I watched a lampshade turned at the last Turnfest .It was turned from a whole green log to finish size with a light shining through the side to judge the thickness .
Google up Peter Block for a tutorial.
Ted

Bruce White
1st September 2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks Ted - and isn't his work lovely? I'll have a go at a little one in the next few days.