PDA

View Full Version : Spring has sprung

Big Shed
1st September 2012, 05:32 PM
First day of Spring and what a fine day it was, bright blue sky, no wind and about 16C, what more do you want.

All the wattles are in full bloom, life's good.:2tsup:

Pics courtesy of SWMBO.

rwbuild
1st September 2012, 07:34 PM
Just the way The Lord made it :2tsup:

Scott
1st September 2012, 08:14 PM
Yup, lovely day, the sun was shining through the front of the shed. It's been a while since I've opened the door. Evolution gets better every day :D

Optimark
1st September 2012, 09:34 PM
My late maternal grandfather who was born and raised in the northern hemisphere in the late 1800’s, could never understand how the authorities in this country had determined that the seasons could, and would be determined by man, to start and end at the beginning and end of various named months.

As far as I know, and he certainly believed, the seasons are started and ended by the solstices and equinoxes.

That said I agree that the weather today was warmish, I had both shed doors open today. There is still a chill in the air in my part of the world though, which should be a lot warmer in 22 days time when this years spring equinox happens, and nature’s spring starts.

March Equinox: March 20, 2013, 11:02 UTC (http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/march-equinox.html)

Mick.

Big Shed
1st September 2012, 09:49 PM
Perhaps you would like to read what Wikipedia has to say about astronomical and meteorogical seasons.

Season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season)

I didn't spend any time in the shed today, spent most of the day on the tractor grading the driveway after all the rain we've had and I was most grateful for the lovely sunny day. Mind you when I got up this morning it was precisely 1degC.

Optimark
1st September 2012, 10:38 PM
Fred, yes a very good read there. Seems as though I'll have to revise my thinking on when seasons start and finish.

The external link on Australia was good.

Agree about the coolness up your way, spent a night up there in our camper very recently, -2ºC, luckily we have a gas powered heater :U

Mick.

tea lady
1st September 2012, 10:53 PM
Yes nice and sunny. Could hang round at the door of the shed, cuppa in hand rather that huddle at the back stomping cold feet. Cold again now though. Clear night with spooky full moon. From hailing yesterday.

Robson Valley
4th September 2012, 07:46 AM
Spring has sprung,
Fall will fell.
Then comes winter,
Cold as Hello.

The fireweed up the mountain slopes is coloring up, hence the name. Even the big trees in the valley bottoms are yellowing off quite quickly. My grapes are coloring but I won't pick for another 6 weeks.
+2C or better at night but daytimes can't cut 20 anymore.

Harman P38+ wood pellet stove & pipes all cleaned up and ready to go. I've run the central heating (oil-fired) most mornings for 20 minutes to take the chill off the place.
The wood stove takes 2 hrs to come up but runs 24/7 for 1/2 the price of oil.

So I wish you well with Spring. Your turn again.