PDA

View Full Version : Differece between Thermal and Acoustic Batts

maglite
20th March 2005, 01:54 AM
Can someone tell if there is any real difference between acoustic and thermal batts.
Obviously, other than the thermal /noise argument.
Most acoustic batts come in a 1.5 or 2 rating in either rockwool(bradfords) or polyester(greentech)...which would be best?

If i was to put standard 3.0 ceiling batts in the walls of the reno and used the wall gyprock to compress them in would i still get the same acoustic properties as if i was to get 'proper' acoustic batts.

What would you do?

Cheers
Steve

nt900
20th March 2005, 01:29 PM
Sorry I cannot answer your question in full, but I do know that compressing batts reduces R rating. Something to consider.

Myself, I used an incredibly dense rockwool batt in my weatherboard walls. The stuff is intended for direct contact with het sources (boilers and furnaces). It is not really intended for thermal insulation in homes, and did not carry an R rating. I used it for all the outside walls and internal walls around the home theatre. Excellent sound insulation qualities, and my house is keeping rather cool in summer and holds heat nicely in winter. I don't have heating installed yet, and won't need cooling I expect. Anyway, the stuff performs excellently and is only 80mm thick. So fits nicely into wall cavities.

Having said that, I am using polyester/wool on another house, in the ceiling and walls. It is so much nicer to use than rockwool. When I need a little rest, it is lovely to spread out on the floor and take a nap on.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p