PDA

View Full Version : Silly materials to turn.

soundman
3rd September 2012, 11:39 PM
I know damn well that there are people on this forum that will tray and stabilise or cast just about anything that doesn't move with resin of some sort.

But that is hardly sporting.

I've been amusing my self with the prospect of turning unlikly things.

The first thing that came to mind was chocloate.

I think it would be dooable, it would probaly need freezing and it would need to be worked in a cool room, but hey what a stunt.

keeping with the confectionary theme....how about hard sugar lollies...ya know boiled sweets ...I recon you could cast the stuff like acrilic resin.

how about pen blanks made of sugar.

Ice sculpture is a big thing in high end catering....turning ice should be relativly trivial and thus almost anything that could be frozen.

How abour vegetables.......I've heard of vegetable carving, I wonder if vegitable turning would be viable.
Carots and parsnips would probably work.

Do ya recon you could fix a pumpkin to a face plate and have at it with a vegetable gouge.

Just some twisted thaughts...anybody game.

cheers

rwbuild
3rd September 2012, 11:48 PM
Hey man, what dust you been snorting.....:D

Claw Hama
3rd September 2012, 11:56 PM
You've lost it Soundman, too many high frequency vibrations will do that to you:D

Ha, eat the chocolate and turn some more wood:2tsup:

soundman
4th September 2012, 12:02 AM
Hey man, what dust you been snorting.....:D

Now that raises the question....would you get high turning wood from a coca tree...they boil down the leaves to make cocaine, would there be enough active ingredient in the wood to cause a positive indication on a road side drug test:?

cheers

soundman
4th September 2012, 12:14 AM
You've lost it Soundman, too many high frequency vibrations will do that to you:D

Ha, eat the chocolate and turn some more wood:2tsup:

Oh come on man it aint that weird :whatonearth:

people turn nuts, bones, antler, jaws from a crocodile...hell I even heard some dude stabilised a dog #### and made a pen out of it:unsure:, just to prove it could be done.....probably truth is it was a drunken dare.

somebody has to have turned something truly weird.

cheers

rwbuild
4th September 2012, 12:19 AM
Here's an idea

Try turning a politician into a normal persont.....that's never been done :D

Scott
4th September 2012, 08:36 AM
Dai Sensai has turned dog poop into a pen, nothing unusual here :D

Cliff Rogers
4th September 2012, 09:03 AM
Hey SM, put the lid back on the glue & open a window for a couple of minutes. :D

rwbuild
4th September 2012, 11:16 AM
Hey SM, put the lid back on the glue & open a window for a couple of minutes. :D

......bit like the Telstra sock Muppet, needs to get an oxygen mask :D

ticklingmedusa
4th September 2012, 02:00 PM
I'll play Soundman. :D
Somewhere on the internet I recently saw a watermelon mounted between centres.
The late Russ Fairfield, a respected turner here in the states published an article in the AAW's journal American Woodturner & illustrated skew technique using carrots (and if memory serves correctly potatoes too).
I'll try finding the hard copy and confirm.
I think the idea being that vegetables were more expendable than timber and perhaps
if a piece flew off the machine it might do less damage.
If one tries this at home of course, protecting your metal & electric components would
be wise.
It sort of puts a different spin on food processing when a bench mounted power tool
is involved.

wheelinround
4th September 2012, 02:48 PM
Saw potataos being turned and as said above water melon.

Chocolate is scrapped and sculpted by chefs etc why not turned

which forum member turned a #### pen for Niel?

Cindy Droza and a cauliflower

Cindy Drozda turns a salad bowl from a Romanesco Cauliflower - YouTube

ticklingmedusa
4th September 2012, 05:30 PM
That was pretty cool Ray.
Thanks for putting that on the board.:2tsup:

corbs
4th September 2012, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure how serious you are but I have often looked at the patterns in carrots once peeled and thought it could make for a nice pen if the colour and structure could be retained while drying out.

Randir
4th September 2012, 06:45 PM
Gobstoppers look pretty impressive. I remember looking up a bunch of videos a while ago (also search 'jawbreaker'). A quick search came up with these:

Watch An Everlasting Gobstopper Get Turned Into A Shot Glass | TopsyTasty (http://topsytasty.com/blog/watch-an-everlasting-gobstopper-get-turned-into-a-shot-glass/)
jawbreaker turning - YouTube
new jawbreaker video - YouTube

Not sure how to put a vid in properly.

And of course there's stone. I remember seeing something about an egyptian who turned big stone hollow forms - scared the daylight out of me, though.

EDIT: Turns out the forum knows how to put videos in properly

tea lady
4th September 2012, 07:03 PM
Too late to invent ice turning. :doh:

Ice Lathe (http://www.icesculptingtools.com/ice_lathe.htm)

http://www.icesculptingtools.com/Lathe%20fior%20ice%20carving%201.JPG

dai sensei
4th September 2012, 10:36 PM
And people called me nuts :U just goes to show I'm not alone :U:U

soundman
4th September 2012, 11:23 PM
I am surprised how well the cauiflower stayed together.

That being the case a realy tight drum head cabage should be viable.

It occurs to me a good hard cheese should turn very well.

Don't know about the watermellon..that would be like trying to tie a load of em onto a tray back truck with ropes....but some muppet tried it and got zipped for his foolishness.

Pumpkin though I recon would be a goer.....it would be possible to make a nice centrepiece of a buffet.

If its a real stunt you are after...how about a complete minature winsor chair out of carrots.....the chair bottom would probaly have to be a slab of pumpkin or a slice out of a big sweed.

On the subject of sweeds......now there is a realy viable item.....they can come pretty big and fat and they are quite firm.

Its the sort of thing heston blumenthal would try.......I'll have to see if I can find an email address.

cheers

rwbuild
4th September 2012, 11:38 PM
food sculpture - Google Search (http://www.google.com.au/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=571&q=food+sculpture&oq=food+sc&gs_l=img.1.3.0l10.1786.8959.0.12240.7.7.0.0.0.0.223.1137.2j0j5.7.0...0.0...1ac.8OXZrJI2q2E)

tea lady
5th September 2012, 01:02 AM
Do I see the next "turning challenge" on the horizon? :D

dr4g0nfly
5th September 2012, 03:48 AM
I think Cindy Drozda also turned a Khol Rabi on youTube.

Best I can manage is wine into water. Piece of pi**. Well enough of that!

ticklingmedusa
5th September 2012, 12:58 PM
http://www.woodcentral.com/webbbs/media/turning/455/455804_1.jpg

mkypenturner
5th September 2012, 05:08 PM
got myself a gobstopper lolly , gunna give a go a a shot glass :rolleyes:

Ueee
5th September 2012, 05:54 PM
Now I'm gunna have to let a few carrots go in the garden and see how big and woodie I can get them......without splits. While on the thoughts of ice, my thoughts strayed to mythbusters and their frozen mince bullet. How bout a frozen lamb roast bowl, or a t-bone plate?

Farmer Geoff
5th September 2012, 06:11 PM
Back in the olden days we used a lot of fertiliser which came in heavy sheet plastic bags. Us kids would light the bottom corner of a bag and let the drops of molten plastic drip into a bottle or jar. After it cooled, we'd break the bottle and have a solid lump of black plastic. We once took a specimen to school to try turning it but the party pooping teacher thought this an inappropriate act. If it wasn't so atmosphere polluting to do the burning, it might be interesting to revisit the idea.

mkypenturner
5th September 2012, 07:36 PM
Ok I did manage to turn and make the shotglass unsanded finished as want it to be edible
Cant post pic as on mb

tea lady
5th September 2012, 07:39 PM
Ok I did manage to turn and make the shotglass unsanded finished as want it to be edible
Cant post pic as on mb:2tsup:

jamarpa
5th September 2012, 07:50 PM
I don't have a lathe. YET. but a beetroot shotglass filled with beetroot juice and Bourbon sounds good. The other interesting thought would be to epoxy circuit boards together.

dr4g0nfly
6th September 2012, 07:27 AM
a beetroot shotglass filled with beetroot juice and Bourbon sounds good

And saves on the washing up if you eat it afterwards!

soundman
6th September 2012, 09:08 AM
And saves on the washing up if you eat it afterwards!

Yeh but think about getting the stains out of the table cloth:doh:

cheers

spankingpigeon
6th September 2012, 09:09 PM
Cant post pic as on mb
could you use a wet cloth to polish it and then it would still be edible ?

ian
7th September 2012, 01:22 AM
I'm game
I know damn well that there are people on this forum that will tray and stabilise or cast just about anything that doesn't move with resin of some sort.

But that is hardly sporting.

I've been amusing my self with the prospect of turning unlikly things.

The first thing that came to mind was chocloate.

I think it would be dooable, it would probaly need freezing and it would need to be worked in a cool room, but hey what a stunt. I'd be inclined to chill it in the fridge and work it with tools stored in a freezer.
whne the tool got too warm grab another from the [dry] ice box

how about pen blanks made of sugar. interesting surprise for the pencil suckers out there

How abour vegetables.......I've heard of vegetable carving, I wonder if vegitable turning would be viable.
Carots and parsnips would probably work.

Do ya recon you could fix a pumpkin to a face plate and have at it with a vegetable gouge. I think the inside might be too soft

soundman
7th September 2012, 10:13 AM
good to hear you taking the matter serioulsy.
I recon there may be a real market for turned weird things....not a big one bit a market all the same.

just about every Ice shop will sell you an ice sculpture, made to order and some chefs in the fancy hotels take great pride in their ice, vegitable and butter carvings.

I don't think a watermellon is a viable item, but I recon if you could get a pumpkin to stick to a chuck or baseplate, it would bake vable bowl material.....the hollowing would certainly be easy.

cheers

Scott
7th September 2012, 05:24 PM
Looks like watermelon turns out quite well:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachments/f13/81057d1346978760-watermelon-rind-img_2047-alt.jpg

soundman
8th September 2012, 09:40 AM
yeh nice try but no cigar.

I was talking to a bloke last night that grows pinapples.

They are a definte goer.

they have a nice firm woody core......expect to get wet though.

Apparantly in the early days of mechanised pinapple processing, turning is exacly how they used to peel them.

Mount em up between centres and straight in with a......."peeling cut".....:laughing1:

Of course plain ordinary apples are a no brainer....I have several devices that either impale or mount aples between centres, peel, core and or cut spirals from apples.

I wonder if a kibab cooker would be considered a lathe, or would be if the speed was increased.

cheers

jimbur
8th September 2012, 01:49 PM
When you think of the things that have been turned over the centuries - shale, coal, a variety of metals etc etc - it makes wood seem the odd one out.:D
Cheers,
Jim

soundman
8th September 2012, 11:17 PM
COAL...now that is something worth having a go at...from what I understand it polishes up pretty damn fine.

cheers

dr4g0nfly
9th September 2012, 06:44 AM
Now you're onto something. Coal dust is mixed with Resin (circle completed) and cast in moulds to make souvenirs for visitors to our once great coal industry museums.

The moulds have very fine detail so I imagine turning the stuff would work as well.

jimbur
9th September 2012, 12:14 PM
COAL...now that is something worth having a go at...from what I understand it polishes up pretty damn fine.

cheers
I saw a table in England in either Leeds or Sheffield that had been made for an exhibition. It looked just like a normal victorian round top, centre pedestal, three legged breakfast table apart from being a beautiful glossy black.
cheers,
Jim

Kev Y.
9th September 2012, 05:14 PM
I have turned a lump of timber from our local open cut mine - thought to be about 15 million years old. Once I got it dry, I found the dust to be very irritating. the item turned didnt stand up to heavy use and dinted rather easily

dai sensei
9th September 2012, 06:18 PM
I have turned a lump of timber from our local open cut mine - thought to be about 15 million years old. Once I got it dry, I found the dust to be very irritating. the item turned didnt stand up to heavy use and dinted rather easily

Try stabilising it