PDA

View Full Version : Dead Finish or archidendropsis basaltica

hughie
4th September 2012, 09:31 AM
This timber can be very hard and on occaision loaded with Silica. One piece I had 4x6, a small vase gave the Thomson gouge a real hard time. This piece courtesy of TTIT aka Vern of Emerald. :2tsup:.

In this case not so bad, flat spirals, 7"x3.5" finished at the moment with a couple of coats of WOP gloss and satin. I'm contempalting giving it a few more coats of gloss then buffing to reduce or dial back the gloss.

Its a very pretty timber with great colour, takes a shine you wouldnt believe. Turned this sideways to give a contrast with the Sap and Heart and the flat spiral really brings this out well :2tsup:.

For further info on this one http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/deadfinish.htm

Cliff Rogers
4th September 2012, 09:56 AM
:2tsup:

wheelinround
4th September 2012, 10:01 AM
:2tsup: One for the wood :2tsup: One for the flutes :2tsup: one for the fnish

bench1holio
4th September 2012, 12:14 PM
beautiful stuff hughie :2tsup:

turnerted
4th September 2012, 05:39 PM
Great job Hughie
Ted

Cliff Rogers
4th September 2012, 08:11 PM
Keep your eye out for the November prize draw, if all goes to plan there will be 3Kgs of that stuff as the prize. :wink:

powderpost
4th September 2012, 08:35 PM
Excellent job Hughie.. :2tsup:. That stuff takes a beautiful thread too.
Jim

TTIT
4th September 2012, 11:01 PM
Very nicely done Hughie :2tsup::2tsup: I reckon you'd get the same finish you're after with a few coats of DO and a buffing - just sayin' :fisch:

How come everyone else gets time to turn more of my wood than I do :think:

angryranga
5th September 2012, 07:17 AM
Very nice hughie:2tsup:

Willbur
5th September 2012, 09:36 AM
Sweet looking bowl there Hughie!! Was reading about Dead Finish on TTIT's website the other day...sounds like a top aussie timber and looks beautiful finished as your turning does.

How do you do the spirals there mate?

Will

hughie
5th September 2012, 09:52 AM
[I reckon you'd get the same finish you're after with a few coats of DO and a buffing - just sayin' :fisch:

Yep your right but I am low on the DO either gotta mix some more or go buy some :C

How come everyone else gets time to turn more of my wood than I do :think:

Thats easy, 'usea cuttin wesa turnin' :U

3KG next draw thats a good prize, jump in guys this stuff is the bees-knees. :2tsup:

How do you do the spirals there mate?

I use the Spanish method, manual :U theres a thread somewheres where I did a WIP.

and my apologies to all the Spanish members of the forum :U

dr4g0nfly
6th September 2012, 07:23 AM
Hughie,

A fantastic piece as always, I've been captivated by your lands Dead Finish since I first saw it in this forum. It looks fantastic.

Keep your eye out for the November prize draw, if all goes to plan there will be 3Kgs of that stuff as the prize. :wink:

If 'IF' I won - what would that cost to post to the UK? or could a friend bring it through customs?

NeilS
6th September 2012, 10:53 AM
:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
6th September 2012, 01:31 PM
Hughie,

A fantastic piece as always, I've been captivated by your lands Dead Finish since I first saw it in this forum. It looks fantastic.

If 'IF' I won - what would that cost to post to the UK? or could a friend bring it through customs?
About $50AUD via sea mail.
Going through customs should not be a problem if there is no bark & no sapwood with mould or insect attack.

Mrs Woodpecker
7th September 2012, 04:36 PM
I have always loved that timber and you sure have done it justice. Great work!!!!
Shirley