PDA

View Full Version : No Manual Blues

Harry
3rd April 2001, 08:53 PM
I bought a second hand Ryobi 16" scrollsaw and the first weekend I used it the tension adjustment gave way possibly because of my heavy handedness but maybe it was on the way out, anyway it's fixed $40 later and I'm on the way again but as the machine didn't come with manuals and there is no indication on the (too small) adjustment knob I am worried that I may damage it again. At the moment I'm "playing" it by sound, that is I pluck the blade until it sounds okay, pretty dumb eh. Can anyone offer advise?
Secondly, I have an old (19??) table saw made in Melbourne by A. Kavanagh. As you could imagine, being old, its solid as and looks and works like it will go for ever. One thing that sort of bugs me though is that the mitre guide is incomplete. It must have had some sought of "hold down" thingy that screws into the top of the mitre gauge and extends above and parralel to the bar that runs in the slot in the table. The bar has 4 threaded holes of the same size and distance apart, these may or may not have been used as part of the "hold down" setup. I don't think I'll ever find the part I need to complete the mitre gauge but I reckon it would be possible to come up with something if I had the tools to work with metal which I don't, therefore where would you go to get the work done? I'm thinking the job would be too small for many to worry about?

John Saxton
6th April 2001, 12:09 AM
Hi Harry,I don't necessarily have the answers to your problems particularly where the scrollsaw is concerned but try this sie it may be of some assistance to you. www.scrollsaws.com (http://www.scrollsaws.com)

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

davej
19th April 2001, 11:42 PM
hi harry i have a ryobi scroll saw model sc-160.in the manual it says that after you have put the blade in, take up the slack,then do 1 full turn for the tension i hope this is a help to you davej

Harry
20th April 2001, 11:01 PM
Thanks Dave, your advice gives me a point of reference to how tight the tension should be but I'm sure if I do as you say then the tension seems a bit "slopy" which makes the blade wonder therefore it's hard to keep on line. Its fine of course if I'm cutting 3-5mm MDF but for anything offering more resistence I get better results if I tighten the said knob at least 2 times after I take up the slack.