PDA

View Full Version : Skewed

torchwood
6th September 2012, 11:16 AM
Hi, just enquiring about the skew and everyones (almost everyones) problem with it. I tend to use it straight on and don't seem to have a problem with it. If it's sharp it takes off quite a bit of shavings, it never catches and also leaves the wood smooth, what am I doing wrong?

pommyphil
6th September 2012, 01:01 PM
:rolleyes: Once you start cutting instead of scraping it gets interesting. Phil

Scott
6th September 2012, 01:32 PM
:rolleyes: Once you start cutting instead of scraping it gets interesting. Phil

Hehe, agreed. Try cutting with the edge at and angle and roll into the timber ;)

Mulgabill
6th September 2012, 01:49 PM
:o Torchwood, I think some lessons are in order. Find someone who has experience and is able to teach the use of the skew.

Acco
6th September 2012, 01:51 PM
:o Torchwood, I think some lessons are in order. Find someone who has experience and is able to teach the use of the skew.

And seeing that you're in Melbourne, is the best teacher for the Skew chisel!!!

torchwood
6th September 2012, 02:21 PM
I think your right.

Mulgabill
6th September 2012, 02:55 PM
Torchwood, I agree with DJ. is da man!!!:yeah:

RETIRED
6th September 2012, 05:11 PM
Funnily enough, I agree. :roflmao:

Ueee
6th September 2012, 05:20 PM
Skews, awesome if you get it right, f###ing scarey if you get it wrong.... And some many ways to to use them. Take the advice given and get shown, its very hard to explain how to hold a shearing cut with a skew. Good luck!

dr4g0nfly
6th September 2012, 06:25 PM
I'd like to add that if all you've been doing so far is scraping the skew, to learn all the other things it's capable of will be an interesting learning curve. :U

Paul39
8th September 2012, 04:38 AM
I am a bowl turner. I use the accursed skew rarely, to make tool handles. Once one has gotten it to work properly the beautiful slick finish is wonderful, the ease with which it is done is amazing.

Usually after I marvel about the above, on the finishing pass comes an unintended spiral or a WHONK! which removes a nice chunk from my slick, smooth handle.

Accursed %$#@%!%$#$ skew!!

dr4g0nfly
8th September 2012, 05:28 AM
I am a bowl turner. Accursed %$#@%!%$#$ skew!!

I find most bowl turners keep their skews stuck in the ceiling, where it flew and got stuck last time they used it!

NeilS
9th September 2012, 10:38 AM
Hi, just enquiring about the skew and everyones (almost everyones) problem with it. I tend to use it straight on and don't seem to have a problem with it. If it's sharp it takes off quite a bit of shavings, it never catches and also leaves the wood smooth, what am I doing wrong?

Torchwood - as far a I can see you are not doing anything particularly wrong. And, if you are, many highly experienced and skilled turners are also getting it wrong, at times. Most turners periodically use the skew in scraper mode, e.g. to form dovetails.

However, this is not the primary use of the skew, its primary use being for slicing cuts in spindle turning. And, as others have recommended, the best way to learn how to acquire that challenging skill (for some) is to take tuition from an expert like .

tea lady
9th September 2012, 05:08 PM
What you have there, sir, is a negative rake scraper.:U

BangleGuy
14th September 2012, 01:47 AM

Sounds like we are using the skew the same. It works great for flat or slightly convex geometries in a finishing cut, but it must be razor sharp. It works very well for some pen turning and often I go straight to 600 grit sanding. Of course, my gouge skills are terrible! :oo:

chuck1
14th September 2012, 12:17 PM
When we were at t.a.f.e we would make the noise schhheeww the sound of the skew digging in , then watch and listen as everyone who was turning have dig ins we were mean apprentices.