PDA

View Full Version : Laminated Platter

kcam
6th September 2012, 08:39 PM
I have in the past avoided doing laminated turnings but I thought that it was about time that I attempted one for a recent club competition. My start was two pieces of black Wattle that I had laminated with a piece of Jacaranda some time ago thinking that at some stage I would cut it on the diagonal for a pepper mill that didn't got to the lathe. Inspired by the work of Ron Katz (featured in the current AAW journal) I added some more Jacaranda and two pieces of NG Rosewood and then decided to make it a square platter so I added a Jacaranda frame to it.
Here is the result, comment and critique welcome.

dai sensei
6th September 2012, 09:57 PM
Very nice indeed :2tsup:

wheelinround
6th September 2012, 10:00 PM
stunning

powderpost
6th September 2012, 10:03 PM
:2tsup:
Jim

vk4
6th September 2012, 10:47 PM
words fail me :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

michael_m
6th September 2012, 10:56 PM
Simply beautiful. I love the second shot of it especially; those curves!

TTIT
6th September 2012, 10:56 PM
Love it :2tsup: Looks great . . . . . . :think: but I'd be a bit concerned that the edge strips along the end grain might come adrift in a weather change :shrug:

Scott
7th September 2012, 04:37 AM
Nice work, great thinking outside the box. When I clicked on the link I wasn't sure what to expect with the Wattle and Jacaranda combination, but you've executed it well. Not sure about the round inlays though.

dr4g0nfly
7th September 2012, 05:59 AM
Maybe I'm being too technical here, but looking at this platter I see one of those diagrams where Space/Time is shown as being curved around stars and the like.

I think it's a very inspiring turning, thanks for sharing.

kcam
7th September 2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks for your comments everyone, they are appreciated. My other attempt/entry was a pegged "button" jar that took a lot longer to prepare than the platter. A woman liked it so much that she had to buy it. The only photo that I have of it is attached.
Vern, the glue "creep" so far is around the plugs and it has been glued for over 5 months and turned for 4, time will tell how the bond is.
I have also attached a shot of the underside, missed out a bit on the alignment and it is attached with brass pins......Cheers Kerry

tea lady
7th September 2012, 11:12 AM
Oh! Very nice. Love the foot ring. Simple and graphic lamination. :2tsup: Lovely form.

NeilS
7th September 2012, 03:25 PM
:2tsup:

Mobyturns
7th September 2012, 08:59 PM
Kerry, very sweet platter, love the box as well.

dr4g0nfly
8th September 2012, 05:21 AM
shame that's the only picture of the Button pot. It looks wonderful, I've no doubt the lady who insisted on buying it is very happy with her purchase.

Well there's nothing for it, you'll just have to make another one.

kcam
8th September 2012, 07:41 AM
Well there's nothing for it, you'll just have to make another one.
:rolleyes: That's what my wife says also, just have to find the time to drill and plug all those holes.