PDA

View Full Version : Magnifying Glass

Dalboy
8th September 2012, 03:15 AM
Don't usualy get into the turning forum much so here goes.
Not anything spectacular but had a little time between other projects so had a clear out of some of the shed and came across 2 magnifying glasses with out frames. Anyway always in need of one I made a frame, still got the other to make. All of the wood came from the scrap bin the glass is about 2 1/2" across

dr4g0nfly
8th September 2012, 05:27 AM
I once heard a story about a Chinese monk and Stone soup. I thing some peoples scrap [wood] boxes work the same way.

You've made a nice job out of that, well done.

Dalboy
8th September 2012, 06:36 AM
Thank you dr4g0nfly I don't like to throw away the small bits of wood as you never know what they may come in handy for, this is about the third project in a row that has come out of "The Box". :U. Not only that but I like to have a magnifying glass handy so when I found them I thought to put them back into commission.
Will post the other one when completed

Rod Gilbert
8th September 2012, 01:56 PM
Yes well done, we turners dont throw out anything oh I could get a finial out of that dosent it have beautiful grain.
LOL. Regards Rod.:wave:

mick59wests
15th September 2012, 03:28 AM
Digger,
how did you make it? Is the handle a separate piece and screwed to top (if so, how is this threaded)? What about fitting the magnifying glass into its frame? I'd be interested in turning/making one but apart from actually turning the handle am lost in how it all fits together.
Thanks
Mick

Dalboy
15th September 2012, 04:24 AM
I first turned the main ring like the diagram232691 then placed the contrasting piece in the lathe and turned a ring to fit the recess leaving it attached to the waste still in the lathe, before attaching these parts remember to drill a hole for the handle(I glued this one in) in the first piece. Now insert the glass into the first piece and glue this to the ring still in the lathe leave to dry then part off very carefully, sand this flush and glue in the handle.
You will notice that I have not included instructions for finishing as this can be done whenever you like I did mine as I went along making sure not to get any on the glue areas. Hope this makes sense.
I will be making another one very soon so if you want I can do a W.I.P.

I glued this up as they were just a couple of glasses that I had laying around from 2 old cheap ones but had good magnification

mick59wests
15th September 2012, 05:52 PM
Digger,
I think I get it but would certainly appreciate any WIP photos on your next one
thanks
Mick

Dalboy
16th September 2012, 07:46 AM
This is a quick WIP of the magnifying glass. Please forgive me as I will explain the best I can Just hope all is clear

First thing is to select the required wood

Attach the thin piece to a sacrificial piece of wood attached to a back plate

Attach the thicker piece to a screw chuck using some spacers and mount this onto the Lathe
Turn the first side with the recess for the glass

Test the fit with the glass

Check the depth of the glass plus a bit more for the wall and mark on the outside

Turn the piece around on the screw chuck and turn away as much wood as you can without breaking through

Remove the screw chuck and replace it with the back plate that was prepared earlier with the thinner [piece of wood.
Turn this down to thickness of the recess of the glass on the first piece plus enough to get a parting tool behind it when the main body is attached.
Also turn it so that the first piece that was turned fits onto this with a good snug fit

Test fitting of main body

I brought up the tailstock to hold the main body in place for the next operation making sure that it run straight before cutting away the centre portion.

Now the main body is complete and still attached to the insert ring I used a parting tool to cut the inside diameter of the insert ring to the same size as the inner ring of the main body
so when the glass is inserted they are inline.
Somehow forgot to take a photo of the next bit, all I did was to turn all the wood away from the inside portion of the inner rin making sure to form a concave into the backing piece as well
because the glass would not seat correctly when assembling the body and insert ring

Before the next stage drill a shallow hole in the main body for the handle.(which can be seen in the glue up photo below)
With the Inner ring still on lathe insert the glass into the main body and glue this ti the inner ring holding it with the aid of the tailstock(In the picture you can see a piece of hardboard between the main body and the piece of mdf
this has a hole cut out to allow for the glass)

I replaced the piece of mdf with a smaller piece of packing so that I could get close enough without rapping my knuckles when I part the inner ring.
You can see the gap where to part off to the left of the main body

Yet again got carried away and forgot the photo of the handle.
Anyway that is just a straight forward spindle turning with a small tenon one end to fit the hole drilled earlier

Well that is the way I did it many may do thing a little different

Sawdust Maker
16th September 2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the WIP

now where did I put that front lens from those old binoculors?

mick59wests
16th September 2012, 04:43 PM
Digger,
that is a fantastic WIP and much better than anyway I had thought of doing it :2tsup:. The only part I have never done is attaching to a sacrificial piece. As the sacrifice is not being saved in anyway, I assume normal PVA wood glue is good enough.
Very much appreciated
Mick

tea lady
16th September 2012, 05:24 PM
Great. :2tsup:

Dalboy
16th September 2012, 09:15 PM
Thank you all for the comments. The only thing I did not cover was the finish as I leave that up to the person when and what to use.

Mick I used double sided tape but you could use glue to attach to the sacrificial wood as you will be parting it off, In which case you may get away without haveing to use the tailstock