PDA

View Full Version : Al's NEW mill

Sigidi
9th September 2012, 12:47 PM
Yup you read it right, my NEW mill :D

Well it had to happen, Lucas brought out a new mill and I've been busier than a fiddler's elbow at a square dance. Got a great deal on this my 3rd Lucas and have already offloaded Bo Derek, my 2 year old 10-30 to another forum member "Weisyboy" Drove 200k each way to go pick up the mill from a show which was kinda good 'coz Lucas drove it through 3 states and around 1300k to get it to the show. They used it for the couple days of the show which means it was all set up ready for me to cut straight away.

First day I used "Sparky" (decided was his name as sparky refers to the electric bit of him using an EFI engine and a much better name than Jumbo, even though that would be apt as it's 747 cc) I pushed out $390 worth of timber in 1.2 engine hours

So this is a pic of Sparky all set up in his new 'home' for a little while, I should take a few pics to show you guys what I'm doin at the moment too - might add them Monday after the days slicing...

What the new engine looks like from the operators position, see all the wiring harness and fuses - even has a set of lights that come on and off when you do stuff with the key...

Side of the engine, with the specific EFI fuel filter line...

The warning stickers say to only use this specific kind of fuel filter on the EFI engine as other filters wont operate properly with the engine. It appears the whole line from the fuel tank to the engine is replacement only, this includes the two in-line fuel filters. Having said this there is a whole new fuel line filter assembly included in the Lucas kit box and apparently Lucas have ordered an insane amount of them so they can offer them to owners at a very good price as needed.

Most of the mill is the same as Bo Derek, with a few exceptions/upgrades...

The new style rail brake is certainly a very good brake compared to the 2 other style brakes I have used (not to say the others where bad, just Lucas seem to have improved on them) It will take a little to get used to using a different method to apply the brake but after a day or so I'm sure that will be ironed out. My only hesitation with it for the time being is having 'specific' points along the tracks where the brake operates, I'm sure this will become second nature soon enough as well - or I can put a cpl extra holes in the rails if I find there is a drawback using the existing holes. Although I am pleased the brake is much more thorough in it's application - its either on or its not.

The anti bounce strut has also been fitted with a plate to aid in deflecting any sawdust thrown toward the operator side whilst doing vertical cuts. I didn't get much time using this on Friday, so on first impressions it seems to make sense - will provide more detail on it after I've used it some more.

Also I found with Bo Derek, the winders where getting a bit tough on the shoulder to wind the mill up with how busy I've been this year (3-4 weeks at a time without more than 1 day in 5 off the mill) I essentially mill on my own, log rolling has been largely reduced by the use of Bob the Cat, but tailing the timber and actual milling has pretty much been all me, plus I know it sounds bad but at 37 I'm not as young as I remember Anyway, Lucas have made some changes to their winders which make the winding process much easier by comparison - very easy to tell the new winders from the older ones, the new ones are red handled and the older style are yellow handled.

Apparently using the EFI engine will use 25% less fuel as compared to the previous carby model and marginally quicker cutting. I've dropped a full tank of fuel into Sparky to see how long a tank will last as compared to Bo and will keep you updated on how he goes - and of course update how things are as I use him more

lastly, have I mentioned I love my Lucas

What the hell, I did all this write up and I STILL cant post pics?!?!?!? well stuff it y'all get no pics :p

Scott
9th September 2012, 01:03 PM
Your mill is useless unless there is no pictures :D

Sigidi
9th September 2012, 01:22 PM
Your mill is useless unless there is no pictures :D

Inform the admins - this is the 4th time it has happened to me over last few days, I've sent off a thing about it too, but I reckon its the upgrades they are doin atm

dai sensei
9th September 2012, 02:30 PM
How are you trying to link them? Upgrade is not till later today, so not that.

Just load them up to the forum as attachments, then link them to the thread, rather than linking to an outside site is the better way of doing it. Make sure they are 800 max size and less than 200 in size

Willy Nelson
9th September 2012, 02:49 PM
Clearly, if you are unable to upload photos of your mill, then logically you are technically unable to operate your new mill and it must be sent to me in WA where I will post piccys for you!!!

Do I need to add a TIC here? Just to be safe and not offend anyone?

Willy
Jarrahland

Sigidi
9th September 2012, 03:59 PM
How are you trying to link them? Upgrade is not till later today, so not that.

Just load them up to the forum as attachments, then link them to the thread, rather than linking to an outside site is the better way of doing it. Make sure they are 800 max size and less than 200 in size

Neil I keep getting a note saying there is a 'security token missing' I've been trying to upload them as per normal rather than from an outside site

dai sensei
9th September 2012, 06:00 PM
I'll check with the experts

dai sensei
9th September 2012, 06:15 PM
Admin advises try loggong out, shut down and then restart your computer, then log in again

Let me know how you go Alan

Acco
9th September 2012, 06:15 PM
Neil I keep getting a note saying there is a 'security token missing' I've been trying to upload them as per normal rather than from an outside site

Resize your images or upload one or two at a time, that usually comes up when you're trying to upload big file size images or too many in one hit.

Bushmiller
10th September 2012, 10:47 AM
Knowing that Al is a prolific contributor and experienced in posting numerous pix, I suspect there is a glitch with the pic uploading system. No doubt this will all be sorted soon and Al will be able to resume milling (where have those B****y smiley faces gone, I can't find them).

In the meantime Al this new mill sounds good and I will look forward to seeing some pix. What's this thing about getting old at 37? I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll swap you (smiley face, smiley face).

Regards
Paul

gumred
10th September 2012, 06:43 PM
In the meantime Al this new mill sounds good and I will look forward to seeing some pix. What's this thing about getting old at 37? I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll swap you (smiley face, smiley face).

Regards
Paul[/QUOTE]
Yes they are a bloody GOOD mill.. Easy to start and nice to use!!
cheer's

comgreserv
11th September 2012, 02:04 AM
I love my Lucas, I love my Lucas, I love my old 8 inch upgraded Lucas, I love my Lucas.
Ps I think they know my address.
Lol

Bushmiller
11th September 2012, 06:38 PM
Does this also mean we will shortly be seeing a companion thread regarding Carl's new mill? :wink:

Regards
Paul

Sigidi
12th September 2012, 08:47 AM
Depends if Carl gets off his new mill to make a post:U smiley was easy to find Paul:q

Sigidi
12th September 2012, 09:05 AM
lets try these pics.....

Well yeah the pics turn up now, but you cant see them in the post - have to click on them to see them......hmmmmm....maybe need to do something different to 'see' them in the post or I hope they havent done away with seeing pics in the posts with this new upgrade - it will make for very confusing threads when tyring to explain stuff in pics.

Cliff Rogers
12th September 2012, 09:20 AM
Don't forget to check the belt & clean the screen.

DougM
12th September 2012, 12:30 PM
Hi, that sounds like a show called the "IT Crowd" worth a laugh.
:roflmao:

Stopper
15th September 2012, 09:00 PM
Nice, I was beginning to think you made it up. Keep cutting!!
cheers
steve

Bushmiller
15th September 2012, 09:17 PM
And there the pictures were: Deeply hidden like those damn smileys :q:D.

The new mill looks good Al. It's all about the handling of the timber, as the cutting is relatively easy (sometimes:rolleyes:), so anything that streamlines the process is going to be a plus. Now you are approaching middle age :p (just showing off my new found simley competency) you are on the right track in trying to make life easier :).

Regards
Paul

Sigidi
15th September 2012, 09:46 PM
Well I got through my first full tank of fuel with Sparky, and got 3.5 hours from the fill as compared to 3hours with Bo Derek, over the year it will mean I can run Sparky 4 days a week and the 5th day will be free:2tsup:

BobL
17th September 2012, 10:37 AM
Well I got through my first full tank of fuel with Sparky, and got 3.5 hours from the fill as compared to 3hours with Bo Derek, over the year it will mean I can run Sparky 4 days a week and the 5th day will be free

Not quite rather 1 day out of every 7 will be free.

Anyway - nice upgrade Al :2tsup:

Sigidi
17th September 2012, 12:47 PM
Well, in an ideal world you're right Bob, but I have short days Friday, so usually with a delivery and or late start, plus eko, Fridays fuel requirement is very small :D :2tsup:

BobL
17th September 2012, 02:30 PM
Well, in an ideal world you're right Bob, but I have short days Friday, so usually with a delivery and or late start, plus eko, Fridays fuel requirement is very small :D :2tsup:

Of course - Friday - pub day - right?

Bushmiller
17th September 2012, 10:14 PM
It is a well known fact that Friday is "poet's day." Poets....poets :??

P**s off Early, Tomorrow's Saturday :p:D.

Regards
Paul

Sigidi
18th September 2012, 06:57 PM
Nah, Al doesn't go to the pub, I don't have after school care for my little on on Fridays lol

dropstix
20th September 2012, 11:38 AM
Hi there,

Congratulations on the new mill.

There are possibly too many variables involved, but what sort of average production would you get from your 10-30 in say, an 8hr day working by yourself loading logs with a tractor? Just after some sort of ball-park non-heroic, realistic figures the average joe could knock out. I understand logs and cut dimensions play a big part, as do many other factors, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, is there a diesel option and if so, would it be better? Here in New Zealand, he are stung pretty bad for petrol (about $2.18/ltr) with diesel being around $1.57/ltr) It would add up over the life of the engine. Is it more a weight issue, with the equivalent diesel being too heavy?

And dare I ask what such a mill sells for please? Might as well scare the idea out of me early than let it linger under false hope.

And how many hours are the engines supposed to last, on average?

Thank you.

gumred
20th September 2012, 07:54 PM
Wow!! That is a lot of money petrol...
We pay around $1.45 litre here!!!

Pagie
20th September 2012, 08:13 PM
$1.31 today

dropstix
21st September 2012, 07:06 AM
Wow!! That is a lot of money petrol...
We pay around $1.45 litre here!!!
I should have noted in that post it was NZ$, so petrol at NZ$2.18 is about AU$1.73. Still considerably higher than across the ditch, unfortunately.

Oh, and that includes 15% grab snatch and take so about AU$1.50 exc. GST. The differential between petrol and diesel would still add up over the life of the engine, I would imagine, all things being equal.

As a % of the cut timber value the fuel input mightn't look so bad but there's nothing like $ draining from my wallet or bank account to bring a sharp focus on costs.

If a diesel engine isn't going to significantly increase the effort required to mill and thus lower production, or doesn't have any otherwise hidden costs of ownership, and the extra purchase price is certainly more than covered by fuel input savings, then maybe it's worth considering as an option?

Sigidi
21st September 2012, 03:16 PM
Drop stix, you could expect to do 3 cube of logs day in and day out
but this wouldn't take 10l of fuel per day in the mill - most time is handling logs and timber as compared to cutting

dropstix
21st September 2012, 04:21 PM
Drop stix, you could expect to do 3 cube of logs day in and day out
but this wouldn't take 10l of fuel per day in the mill - most time is handling logs and timber as compared to cutting

Thanks for that. I really did think the production would be higher so am grateful for the reality check.

Bernt
22nd September 2012, 02:51 PM
Hi,

I also find 3 cube of logs pretty close to average production for one man operated mill in a day dealing with the sawn timber included. I do find however that two man operation pretty much doubles production. You can pay an off sider pretty well and still have a bit of an extra profit that way. On top of that you are not as broken at the end of a long day.

Also have the 10-30 (older model) Fuel does work out at about 10L per day for me.

dropstix
22nd September 2012, 03:11 PM
Hi,

I also find 3 cube of logs pretty close to average production for one man operated mill in a day dealing with the sawn timber included. I do find however that two man operation pretty much doubles production. You can pay an off sider pretty well and still have a bit of an extra profit that way. On top of that you are not as broken at the end of a long day.

Also have the 10-30 (older model) Fuel does work out at about 10L per day for me.
Thanks for that.

Bushmiller
22nd September 2012, 04:19 PM
As you lift production another issue comes into play. Sawdust. Lots of it, particularly with a circular saw. On one particular job I used to wait until we were about knee deep in it and then we had to clear it away. We used to clear a trench alongside the mill with alarge aluminium shovel. finally we would have to deal with the mound. Luckily we had a FEL otherwise we would have been at it with a shovel for half an hour.

In the picture below the mill is set up on a slope. On the downhill side the sawdust is nearly at the level of the bed and on the uphill side the tailing roller, which was about 700mm high, is getting close to being buried.

Regards
Paul

gumred
22nd September 2012, 05:36 PM
As you lift production another issue comes into play. Sawdust. Lots of it, particularly with a circular saw. On one particular job I used to wait until we were about knee deep in it and then we had to clear it away. We used to clear a trench alongside the mill with alarge aluminium shovel. finally we would have to deal with the mound. Luckily we had a FEL otherwise we would have been at it with a shovel for half an hour.

In the picture below the mill is set up on a slope. On the downhill side the sawdust is nearly at the level of the bed and on the uphill side the tailing roller, which was about 700mm high, is getting close to being buried.

Regards
Paul

Love your roof!!!!

Bushmiller
22nd September 2012, 09:04 PM
Love your roof!!!!

Thanks Gumred. It became an essential. That year was a particularly wet one and we lost many days to bogged conditions. When it wasn't wet it was red hot and I found myself unable to cope with twelve hours under a 35 deg sun!

I devised the shade cloth roof as a way of minimising the heat as we could not afford the luxury of stopping just 'cos it was a bit hot. It is not easy to see from the pic but one side of the shade roof telescopes into the other for transportation. It is untidy looking because the water bottle on top of the shuttle gets in the way and the downside is that a little extra weight is added to the shuttle which was already heavy enough. For example, it is considerably heavier than the Lucas Mill shutttle.

You will also note the Lucas mill in the background which worked alongside me for the whole time I was there. I thought I had better add that for the benefit of some people, whose names I won't mention, but as he started this thread.......

Regards
Paul

gumred
22nd September 2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks Gumred. It became an essential. That year was a particularly wet one and we lost many days to bogged conditions. When it wasn't wet it was red hot and I found myself unable to cope with twelve hours under a 35 deg sun!

I devised the shade cloth roof as a way of minimising the heat as we could not afford the luxury of stopping just 'cos it was a bit hot. It is not easy to see from the pic but one side of the shade roof telescopes into the other for transportation. It is untidy looking because the water bottle on top of the shuttle gets in the way and the downside is that a little extra weight is added to the shuttle which was already heavy enough. For example, it is considerably heavier than the Lucas Mill shutttle.

You will also note the Lucas mill in the background which worked alongside me for the whole time I was there. I thought I had better add that for the benefit of some people, whose names I won't mention, but as he started this thread.......

Regards
Paul

This roof works a treat!!

Bushmiller
23rd September 2012, 12:52 AM
Oh yes. Love the width :) . I cant see what material it is because of the lightplaying on the surface, but it looks like canvas or another tarpaulin material ?

Regards
Paul

Bernt
23rd September 2012, 11:47 AM

Regards
Paul

As I do most of my milling off site, sawdust is not too much of an issue. I have had multiple customers who seem much more excited about all the sawdust they get for the garden then the beautiful stack of timber they end up with. (Don't tell them about wood-chippers)

With the Lucasmill I find as long as you don't have to open the mill up for extra long logs, you can let the sawdust build up for days before it gets a problem. Just towards the end you start needing to watch your head around the top of the frames. Each log just rises the ground level a bit.

logboy73
4th October 2012, 01:04 PM
So how is the new mill running? I need an update. :D

gumred
5th October 2012, 07:01 PM
So how is the new mill running? I need an update. :D

The new EFI run (SWEET) LOADS of EXTRA'S
If your thinking of buying one!! You should!!! YOU wont regret IT!!!

Sigidi
14th October 2012, 11:49 AM
The new EFI run (SWEET) LOADS of EXTRA'S
If your thinking of buying one!! You should!!! YOU wont regret IT!!!

Yeah, I am loving Sparky, great on fuel and a big difference on cutting so far, those new winch winders are very good too, still have issues with shoulders but not as much

I like the new brake cos if its on, it's on! but I dont like that the hole is not where you need it..... guess some drilling in Als future :D

gumred
14th October 2012, 04:12 PM
Yap.
Your right. Winches are great . A few more hole's is needed.. apart from that!! ..ITS A REALLY NICE MACHINE

pcqypcqy
9th January 2013, 02:42 PM
Sorry to hijack an old thread - Sigidi, I notice you talking about the lucas mill trolley brakes and drilling new holes - did you end up doing this? It was the first thing I noticed to using my new mill, the holes tended to be in inconvenient locations for the logs I had set up.

I'm sure I'll get better at this as time goes on (i.e. remember to set the log up in a better position relative to the rails), but drilling a few new holes occurred to me as well.

I'm a structural engineer, so I'm pretty confident that a few new holes along the rail won't adversely affect the capacity, especially near the ends. Just wondering if you did this and whether it was worthwhile?

Sigidi
9th January 2013, 09:49 PM
No worries mate, no problem with a hi-jack.

I have gotten pretty used to the existing holes a bit better, but still need a few more - I'm thinking of putting a hole in between the existing holes, so I think 3 more holes from memory. Only just got back to work this monday