PDA

View Full Version : Kind of successful weekend at Phillip Island Turnaround.

tea lady
10th September 2012, 07:13 PM
After a late start on Friday for me, owing to the fact I couldn't leave the small child home alone till his dad turned up, I managed to get my old Golding Lathe assembled around 10 pm. Everyone else had started soon after lunch. :C:U Just to get going, I turned a couple of mallets for my sculpture friend. One before I decided I should prolly go to bed and do more on Saturday. So on Saturday I turned the other one.
Then couple of bowls in Blackwood and Sassafras for a friend of my Dad's. Every time I went to my parents place he'd ask me If I'd done them yet. So that should get him off my back.
Then I moved on to those thread chasers. I had managed to chase an inside and outside thread, but not make them fit together yet. So after wasting a bit more mulga, I did manage it. Happy dance all round. :happydance:
Then I farted about with a finial or 2. Used a bit of the Norfolk Island Hibiscus that TTit had sent me. Not sure it really goes with the maple box. Might stain the maple some bizarre colour.

Also turned a lump of Red gum burl. decided it was going to be a little chunky box(Cos of the huge split ) with a long line finial on a sassafras lid. Half done cos then we had to all pack up. :C

The old Golding is now reassembled in the "shed" again. And I need a little lie down. :rolleyes::D.

Seems these weekends have been happening for 16 years. A great weekend. A friend asked me if I went to the beach. "Um! No. Saw the water as I went round the round about though." :U

powderpost
10th September 2012, 09:50 PM
Then I moved on to those thread chasers. I had managed to chase an inside and outside thread, but not make them fit together yet. So after wasting a bit more mulga, I did manage it. Happy dance all round. :happydance:

The box looks good AM. Threads look nice and clean, :2tsup: I make the threads about 2 or 3 threads long, not so much a pain to get the lid off. Easy enough to cut some of the male thread until the grain lines up again.
Jim

tea lady
10th September 2012, 11:01 PM
The box looks good AM. Threads look nice and clean, :2tsup: I make the threads about 2 or 3 threads long, not so much a pain to get the lid off. Easy enough to cut some of the male thread until the grain lines up again.
Jim
Yes people have been saying.:C:U I guess I got a little carried away.Its my first after all. :cool: Now I have to do it again to prove it wasn't a fluke. :D

bench1holio
11th September 2012, 05:30 PM
some nice peices TL :2tsup: sounds like a busy w'end.

what thread chasers did you use on the mulga?

tea lady
11th September 2012, 09:44 PM
some nice peices TL :2tsup: sounds like a busy w'end.

what thread chasers did you use on the mulga?
I used Robert Sorby thread chasers. 20 TPI.

NeilS
12th September 2012, 09:32 AM
Also turned a lump of Red gum burl.

Chunky works....:2tsup:

issatree
12th September 2012, 06:00 PM
Hi All,
As TL said it was a great Weekend. Quite a few Forums People there. Shocking Weather, but that didn't worry us as we were all inside the BIG Gym.
As a matter of Interest to some, there were 114 People? 74 Lathes & 30 of those were the Yellow Woodfast, a few Stubby's.
The Silent Auction was a sight to behold.
There was some Beautiful Work done, & We will be there next Year.