PDA

View Full Version : Double ended No. 1 Morse Taper

Alby123
12th September 2012, 11:52 PM
Good evening everyone, I am enquiring if anyone knows where I would be able to purchase a double ended No. 1 morse taper in Adelaide or is there someone in Adelaide that would be able to turn one up for me.
Okay so some of you are wondering what would you need a double ended No.1 morse taper for. This item firstly needs to be machined very accurately, secondly it is used to re-align the headstock of a woodturning lathe that has a swivelling headstock.
Currently anyone can get a double ended No.2 morse taper although trying to get a No.1 morse taper version doesn't seem possible at the moment.
So there you have it, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Alby

Sturdee
13th September 2012, 12:59 AM
Currently anyone can get a double ended No.2 morse taper
Cheers Alby

Alby, the No 2 MT double ender is not easily available, so for the same purpose, I had one made by a friendly metal turner. May be a metal turner on this board can help.

Peter.

pipeclay
13th September 2012, 08:38 AM
Do these wood lathes have a capability to have a drill chuck placed in the tailstock.
You may find it easier to find something that has a male morse with straight shank,rather than a double male morse.
Another allternative to what your after could be 2 used morse drill or reamer tapers inserted into a bush,or 2 morse taper ER collet chucks(the smaller size) and a piece of centreless ground bar to join the 2 together.

Big Shed
13th September 2012, 08:56 AM
Nova-Teknatool makes a double ended MT2 taper (https://www.teknatool.com/old/spare_ordering_page.htm), but I doubt that an MT1 is available off the shelf.

Alby123
13th September 2012, 02:23 PM
Thank you for the help folks, it looks like I'll have to get one turned.
Cheers Alby

pipeclay
13th September 2012, 03:29 PM
Hope you can get 1 for less than $45.00 other wise some of the other allternatives will be cheaper.

Clubman7
14th September 2012, 06:16 PM
You cant run a dial indicator in the spindle?
could clock up the tail stock spindle.
i guess the double ended morse taper would be used for its speed.

Combustor
15th September 2012, 12:19 AM
Perhaps I misunderstand the problem. Is it possible to put a #1 centre in the headstock and one in the tailstock and bring the two together with a thin metal blade between them? Blade angle indicates alignment. Combustor.

mcostello
15th September 2012, 01:10 AM
Could you use one in the headstock, then clamp on a drill chuck inserted in the tailstock, that is holding a ground pin?