PDA

View Full Version : MC1100 speed selector has dis-connected from pulleys. How to fix ?

dabbler
13th September 2012, 12:59 PM
The speed selector on my 6 year old MC1100 (carbatec) has dropped a grub screw and has disconnected from the pulley system. At least I think that's what happened.

No loud sharp noises just a freely moving handle when disengaged to change speeds. When I removed the headstock cowling I found a 25x8mm grub screw sitting in the housing base. It's hard to tell without mirrors and lights or standing on my head but I can feel a hole in the bottom of a casing on the right hand side of the headstock pulley. Presumably it fits here, locking the speed selector handle mechanism to the pulley/belt system. As far as I can tell using fingertips, everything in the handle system moves correctly when I change speed setting.

Before I start playing with things I can't easily see, some advice would be handy. I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this occur. So - some questions.
1) Is this the right place and is inserting the grubscrew pretty much all I need to do to correctly fix this immediate issue ?
(Assuming I know the correct position for the handle - think I do.)

2) If the handle is engaged in the wrong position - will subsequently setting a higher (highest) or lower (lowest) speed damage the pulleys ? If so can you suggest a safe method to determine the correct position ?

3) Any other advice ? (To fix the speed selector - no MC900/1100 jibes, I've heard them before.)

Thanks in advance and over to you.
dabbler

vk4
13th September 2012, 09:11 PM
If you found the Grub screw , in the change housing, then the odds are that that's your problem. and the hole on the changer will be where it goes.
It may be that you will need to remove the drive pulley's and the motor to gain space to refit the grub screw, if possible I would use locktite on the thread.
I have attached these pages from the Manual for you.

Jeff
vk4

dabbler
13th September 2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the manual pages Jeff. They might be handy. Not sure where mine ended up.

I reckon there's enough space to refit the grubscrew with everything in-situ but I guess I will find out soon enough. Hoping so anyway.
dabbler

dabbler
15th September 2012, 04:40 PM
Replaced the grubscrew. About 12mm in, couldn't turn it with my fingers anymore and that had me worried at first because it's 25mm long. But it was locked in tightly enough to change speeds and move pulleys. With the headstock pulley now moved to the left and out of the way, I could see the grubscrew was twice the length it needed to be and the shaft was locked correctly. One last tweek to nip it up tighter, replaced the cowling once more and all is well.

Didn't loctite this time, but if needed will do it next time now I know which part of the thread to do.

Did a clean out, inspected belt etc at the same time.