PDA

View Full Version : Table saw blade, which one?

Iain
19th May 2001, 09:04 AM
I have just finished reading the latest Woodsmith (Aus Ed) and there are articles on making picture frames and a tray by cutting a cove in solid timber using a table saw.
The priciple is running the board across the blade at an angle thus achieving the same effect as a big router or shaper.
I am aware that someone brought this up several months ago but I do not know who it was.
My question is what blade to use, cross cut, ripping or GP.
Only one edge of the blade is used and I thought that a cross cut would leave grooves, GP i am not sure about but the ripping blade has no offset and may leave the smoothest finish.
Am I correct in these assumptions and what is yout opinion.

------------------

Shane Watson
19th May 2001, 12:31 PM
Hey Iain.

I just use the blade that came with me saw. Don't ask me which type it is, but I assume it is a GP. Its not a rip blade that much I know. Anyway I got a good finish but its been ages since I last did it. A good sanding afterwards is no doubt necessary anyway. Best to use a freshly sharpened blade too, makes the cut that much cleaner and safer.

Cheers!

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

ken yates
19th May 2001, 01:18 PM
the gp blade will work just fine, the key to a smooth finish is a very slow feed rate. I have used this technique several times and it always worked for me.
Hope this helps some and good luck.

Ken http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif