13th September 2012, 09:07 PM
that is a very nice piece!
I am yet to complete a bowl as mine like to explode on me lol

bassmansimon
13th September 2012, 10:10 PM
looks fantastic. Great shape on that bowl

wheelinround
13th September 2012, 10:22 PM
smiifie thats a beaut shape and colour. :2tsup: ( nice to see photos without the hassle)

Yes I got hooked on Rosewood smells divine and usually a treat to turn. If you know any ladies who dye wool up in Armidale they will thank you for the sawdust.

BangleGuy
14th September 2012, 01:42 AM
Wow, that is really fantastic! Nice job.

dr4g0nfly
14th September 2012, 06:33 AM
Yep, I agree with all the other posts, It looks fantastic and I like the simple ring decoration.

You don't say how big its though!

bassmansimon
14th September 2012, 07:57 AM
A bit off topic but does anyone know if PNG Rosewood is as nice smelling and as nice to turn? I have access to some bowl blanks but would not wish to purchase if they were as much of a pig to turn as the figured jarrah I did a while ago etc.

Ad de Crom
14th September 2012, 09:20 PM
Oh yes, this rosewood bowl is beautiful and very elegant.
Ad

Christos
14th September 2012, 09:32 PM
That looks great. How big is the bowl?

TTIT
14th September 2012, 10:34 PM
Nice job Smiife :2tsup:

A bit off topic but does anyone know if PNG Rosewood is as nice smelling and as nice to turn? I have access to some bowl blanks but would not wish to purchase if they were as much of a pig to turn as the figured jarrah I did a while ago etc.I'll poke me nose in here! PNG Rosewood smells nice enough but nowhere near as nice as NSW Rosewood (Rose Mahogany) and the PNG is more open grained so you'll get more tearout too. :cool:
Believe it or not, there are articles written by a supposedly knowledgeable bloke who claims the 'Dysoxylum' part of the botanical name - Dysoxylum fraserianum - translates to 'foul smelling' and has thousands of people around the world reading and believing it stinks. I don't know latin at all but I fail to see how anyone could think that beautiful timber smells bad :~

smiife
17th September 2012, 08:25 PM
hi guys,
thanks for all the comments and info
sorry forgot the size,300mm x 100mm,
when i first finished this bowl i started to sand with 80 grit and put scratches
all over it ooops:C:C,so had to go back with the skew chisel and started sanding
240grit and then it was ok :B:B,sanded to 400 grit and then applied danish oil
and again with 600grit and oil and again with 800 grit and oil
the finish turned out to great:2tsup::2tsup:
thanks again for your comments
cheers smiife:2tsup: