PDA

View Full Version : Candle bowl

bassmansimon
13th September 2012, 09:39 PM
Figured Blackwood, sanded to 320 on the lathe then EEE and UBeaut Shellawax Cream.

I have been thinking about this project for a while. It has been so long that I can't remember whether it is an original design or if it has been borrowed from someone else. I didn't really have a plan or design - I just got sick of thinking about it and went and attacked some timber and chucked it on the lathe. I'm fairly happy with the result, although with a bit of practice could be much more symmetrical.

Using a 38mm forstner bit and a hand power drill, I created recesses for the tealight candles, which are around 37.5mm diameter, ensuring a nice free but good looking fit. After drilling the recesses, I drilled a small hole in the centre and inserted the grub screw.

Turned and finished the back, including a small recess, then turned around on the lathe in the chuck and made a cut from the back of the candle holes to the base of the grub screw hole.

I hope you enjoy this, and please I welcome your feedback so that I can learn from mistakes.

michael_m
13th September 2012, 09:58 PM
I like it - a lot. :2tsup: I have no critiques, and really like the way you melded the space for the candles into the overall shape of the bowl.

torchwood
14th September 2012, 05:01 PM
Excellent idea :2tsup:

artme
14th September 2012, 05:55 PM
Have to agree with:aro-u:. Beautiful grain in that BW.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Řistein
15th September 2012, 06:29 AM
i am agree with they 3 before me.

Sawdust Maker
16th September 2012, 11:44 AM
Nice work and speccy piece of wood

On another note
are tea lights and timber safe? possible fire danger?

bassmansimon
16th September 2012, 11:49 AM
I was a little concerned about that too. We never leave candles burning when we are not in the same room, so I am always around in case something happens. The first time I lit the candles I burned them until nothing was left, with no dramas. The wood was warm but nothing nasty. No dark marks on the walls of the recesses or anything.

I was less concerned about having it near timber (very small flames), but was more concerned about the possible flammable qualities of the finish. Just in case, I didn't put any EEE or Shellawax on the inside of the recesses.

Anyone here have more experience with timber and candle holders or potential fire hazard?

HardingPens
18th September 2012, 03:43 AM
Should be no issues with this holder. Lots of wood tea light holders, just search google images for turned tea light holders. You can pick up a tea light when burning - it is hot, but not "set the wood on fire" hot.
The main issue is to keep the flange of the tea light at or above the wood, like you have done.
I love this 3 light design, well done.

ian thorn
18th September 2012, 08:14 PM
That is a wow of an idea wish you had posted before our club chalenge this month it was a candle holder .I have never had a problem with fire in them but it is still not safe without the insert, you have made that so well lovely job :2tsup:

cheers Ian