PDA

View Full Version : website link of interest - plans, etc

TK1
23rd March 2005, 12:23 PM
Hi,

I thought this might be of interest, if those of you here don't know it already:

www.boat-links.com

The "biggie" is the The Mother of All Maritime Links, with some great sites and resources. Have a look at the 'amature boatbuilding' link (topics are alphabetical) - some good sites of people building boats (including one who turned a mast between twl lathes!).

Other topics in the links show plans (free and for sale), designs, models, magazines, etc.

Worth a look for boat-related stuff!

Regards,

Darren

Daddles
23rd March 2005, 03:48 PM
Oh yes, scary site this one. By the time you've worked your way through all the links relevant to you, the ones at the start have been updated. Good mention mate.

Cheers
Richard

TK1
23rd March 2005, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I had another look and found the link of the guy turning the mast...now I know why I have two lathes! (read the intro if you want, otherwise scroll through to the pics pages).

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/blkswan6.html

Enjoy!

Darren

broomeboy
10th November 2005, 11:35 PM
http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/freedes.htm

Bucket loads of information concern wooden boats, including freebie

bitingmidge
11th November 2005, 12:18 PM
I had another look and found the link of the guy turning the mast...now I know why I have two lathes! (read the intro if you want, otherwise scroll through to the pics pages).

I can't figure why one would need to turn spars, although it would make final sanding a lot easier. It is easy enough to eight-side then plane to a true surface by hand.

On the other hand, a recent Woodenboat article did provide plans for a spar lathe, which as I said, would be a handy device for final finishing!

Cheers,

P

Daddles
20th November 2005, 10:53 AM
Have to agree with Midge on the dill turning his spars. It's a nice exercise and I'm sure it gave him a lot of satisfaction, but by cripes there was a lot of mucking around and it didn't look all that safe to me. Hand shaping spars and oars is great fun.

Richard