PDA

View Full Version : Chain "anchors" in concrete...

dallas
23rd March 2005, 12:26 PM
I'm in the process of doing some renovations to my place, which include extending my garage, which is where the new motorbike will be stored.:)

As i'll be getting a new concrete slab poured, I was wanting to get a metal bar / loop set into the concrete, so I could then pass some chain through the bike frame and lock it to the metal loop... but i'm struggling to find something like this in the shops / hardware...

does anyone have any ideas for a cheap and robust 'anchor' that I can make myself (or get a fab shop to make on the cheap) that I can use for this?

cheers

D

Hootsmon
23rd March 2005, 12:32 PM
Dallas,

try this link for ideas. Don't know about aussie distributers though. Mabye you can get one made up?

http://www.bikeanchor.com
http://www.mickhone.com.au/Acessories/Secruity.htm

Best of luck. What kind of bike are you hoping to keep hold off?

dallas
23rd March 2005, 01:41 PM
thanks hoots... exactly what i'm after, but it's gettign them in Oz is the difficult part, hence seeing what alternatives I can get here in Oz. Might just see a fab shop to see what i can get a piece of steel bent up would cost me...

2001 blue R1 should be gracing my garage shortly....

silentC
23rd March 2005, 01:48 PM
You could weld a chain loop to a bit of steel plate or some square bar. Or get a u bolt, drill a couple of holes in a bit of plate to take the bolt ends and bury that in the slab. Or you could bend a bit of rio into a loop with a couple of legs.

silentC
23rd March 2005, 01:49 PM
In fact, you could probably just bury a short length of chain with one link exposed.

dallas
23rd March 2005, 01:56 PM
I think we have a winner.. the buried chain idea is a top one. I think that's got to be the goods at the moment.... quick, easy and simple. I've gotta get some heavy duty chain anyways, so another 1/2 meter would be too easy....

D

Harry72
23rd March 2005, 08:40 PM
Nah dont do that... it still can be had with some decent bolt cutters, best thing to do is get the metal fabricators to bend up some solid bar of at least 30mm so bolt cutters cant get around it.
Oh and dont leave a usable oxy set in your shed... and dont use any hardened steel as it can be snapped with a sledgey at where it comes out of the concrete.
Blokes at my work grab 5Ton eyebolts to cement in for their HD's!(35mm solid mild steel)

Barry_White
23rd March 2005, 10:21 PM
If you ring Ezyframe Building Systems and ask for John Walker on 02 6746 1266 and ask him to sell you a shed hold down bolt. There are 2 sizes. One is 350mm long and the other is 450mm long and is U shaped with threaded ends on them. They are 16mm dia. If you get 4 nuts with it (They Supply them).

Put a plate across the two bolts and lock it with the nuts and imbed it upside side down in the concrete. They are zinc plated.

Wildman
24th March 2005, 03:52 AM
I would just bury a cable type motorbike lock with a 1800mm length of 3/4 re-bar through it (make sure the re-bar is under the steel mesh though), it will then be a nice plastic coated flexible loop and also too tough for bolt cutters and you wont stub your toe on it (tripping doesnt count). If you use the same strength/type of lock for your bike, it wont be easy to get through either one over the other. In fact if you could find a long enough one, you wouldnt need two, just keep two free ends with the lock out and lock it direct through the bike.

Cheers
Ben

silentC
24th March 2005, 07:56 AM
... it still can be had with some decent bolt cutters.
Umm, can't they just cut the chain that you chain the bike to it with anyway? Or the padlock?

dallas
24th March 2005, 08:42 AM
thanks for the input guys... i got on the blower y/day arvo, and have organised some 30mm steel bar to be bent for me in the shape of a "U" with some legs on it, and i'm going to set this into the concrete. Should cost me all of F/A, so that's good.

As for the chain holding it down, i'll either go some dedicated bike chain/lock, or a local mob sells some security chain that's designed for this purpose, so it's very difficult to cut with all but an oxy... and the padlock would be one of those expensive ones with the shackle covered up and micro barrell with is difficult to drill out... although I hope I never get to find that out! It's a sad day when you have to go to all this trouble due to some people out there...

D

blt
24th March 2005, 11:47 AM
You can buy pretty heavy dynabolts with an eye-hook type end on them. We used some smaller ones a while ago for securing outdoor furniture and our bbq at our last house.....

jimc
24th March 2005, 12:30 PM
I did the chain trick. That was great while I had the bike. Now I dont have a bike and have this bloody chain sticking out of the slab which limits what I can do with the space.

My mate filled a 44 gal drum with concrete instead = a very heavy mobile anchor system. Think wisely if you really want to embed something into the floor.
Anyway...thats my 5 cents worth

dallas
24th March 2005, 12:56 PM
I did the chain trick. That was great while I had the bike. Now I dont have a bike and have this bloody chain sticking out of the slab which limits what I can do with the space.

My mate filled a 44 gal drum with concrete instead = a very heavy mobile anchor system. Think wisely if you really want to embed something into the floor.
Anyway...thats my 5 cents worth
good point jim!... the bar will be placed about 400-500mm from a wall, and away from the main access, so shouldn't be too bad when not in use, but when the time comes that i don't have the bike no more, then i think i'll be borrownig my mates oxy and getting rid of it... might actually put a 'kick plate' or a small inclined ramp around the 'u', so if someone does walk past, they may not trip over the exposed loop... will give it some more thought, or install it closer to the wall and just use a longer chain from the bike itself...

D

Harry72
25th March 2005, 12:14 AM
The one I saw was something like this(see pic), he had a padlock that had a straight shank that had a sideways slide movement so there's no way boltcutters can get to it.