PDA

View Full Version : Lathe -3 , Me -0

spankingpigeon
16th September 2012, 10:07 PM
Well thought i would try my hand at making a bowl for the third time and i think i went a little to thin :- ah well at least i didnt get a catch and make the bowl explode :B

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/spankingpidgion/IMG_2026.jpg
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/spankingpidgion/IMG_2027.jpg

tea lady
17th September 2012, 12:36 AM
:U Just a bit. :doh: The bit of wood doesn't look that thick to start with. :pi: Next timef or sure.:cool:

dr4g0nfly
17th September 2012, 05:38 AM
Hands up any turners who've not done this... Eh, none, that'll be everyone's done it at least once (some several times) then.

Don't worry about it, it happens and gaining experience can sometimes be a steep learning curve.

spankingpigeon
17th September 2012, 08:02 AM
thanks guys and dont worry i wont give up.
when i finally get one to finish you guys and gals will be the second to know lol

petersemple
17th September 2012, 08:31 AM
I have a really nice bowl with a hole in the bottom that stores my superglue bottles. Handy storage and reminder all in one. Anybody else find a use for these eccentric creations?

Old Croc
17th September 2012, 02:20 PM
There is a real simple way to avoid this and not waste a bowl blank. Measure your blanks thickness, deduct 10-15mm and use a small Forstner bit to drill a hole to that depth and then turn till you reach the bottom of that hole, and you wont be kept wondering:2tsup:
Rgds,
Crocy

ian thorn
17th September 2012, 03:25 PM
when I had a woops like that I clean turned the hole glued in a contrasting piece and turned a clock out of it it came out fine

cheers Ian

vk4
17th September 2012, 04:42 PM
Keep the large bit , the small bit is no good for anything:D, and as Ian does , turn an insert and glue in and you will have a second chance to get a complete, turning.

Yes I have done it as well.

Jeff
vk4

spankingpigeon
17th September 2012, 05:21 PM
Yes that's a great idea, maybe some leftover jarrah glued into a pattern of some type
thanks

ian thorn
17th September 2012, 09:58 PM
To make a depth gauge cut a piece of 20mm by 50mm 300 long drill a 6mm hole in the cenre cut of a lenght of 6mm dowel push though the hole and thats it. you can mark the measurments on if you wish.

regards Ian

Sawdust Maker
17th September 2012, 11:25 PM
That's interesting, I've made a couple of bowls to the same design:doh:

Jonzjob
18th September 2012, 04:29 AM
I have tried it a couple of times, but decided against it now. I use a 'very near' sometimes called a vernier? Measure the top to bottom, knock off about 1/4" and use the depth guage probe to judge the depth.

I struggled with a French plywood bowl and got it wrong so I turned a tapered hole, a tapered plug, glued the plug in the hole and turned it carefully down to match. I would not advise anyone to try turning French ply! It has to be about the worst stuff on this planet and more holes than a cullender! This is the result and it's made a nice fruit bowl.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Plybowl2.jpg

I have to admit that it wasn't quite as spectacular as the OPs bowl, in fact if it had been me I may well have had a bowl movement:o

Dalboy
18th September 2012, 06:32 AM
I have also "been there done that":oo: .
I reversed the bowl cleaned up the damage and put a contrasting plug in, finished the turning and job done

Mulgabill
18th September 2012, 10:07 AM
Spankingpigeon, A pair off bowl callipers are very handy and inexpensive. When you make the chuck rebate on the bottom it does not have to be very deep, 5mm or so, and also start turning the inside at the outer rim and gradually work down to the bottom. This will leave some bulk at the bottom so the rim will be easier to finish and to avoid vibrations.

Paul39
19th September 2012, 09:18 AM
To make a depth gauge cut a piece of 20mm by 50mm 300 long drill a 6mm hole in the cenre cut of a lenght of 6mm dowel push though the hole and thats it. you can mark the measurments on if you wish.

regards Ian

Or put your gouge to the bottom of the bowl, sight from rim to rim, put the tip of your thumb on the gouge at that point, bring the gouge to the outside with tip of thumb on rim, bottom of bowl is at tip of gouge.