PDA

View Full Version : Mallee vessel

hughie
21st September 2012, 11:08 AM
This was given to me to see what could be done or made of it. It was some what of a flatish or pie shaped piece of Mallee [ I think]. Bit of pain to photo as I couldnt work out which angle might be best :? One of the pics [001] has no finish as I struggled witht the gloss and the carmera.

Its roughly 9x4 and the finish is WOP, in hindsight I will be buffing the it reduce the glare of the gloss. The outside is satin so as to draw your attention to the inside and the grain.

bench1holio
21st September 2012, 11:39 AM
youve definately weaved your magic with that peice hughie :2tsup:

Scott
21st September 2012, 12:17 PM
Great piece Hughie, you've done justice to it. I've always found Mallee hard to finish, you always need something between gloss and satin.

turnerted
21st September 2012, 05:43 PM
Great jog Hughie. Turning that much air is a challange.
Ted

dr4g0nfly
21st September 2012, 06:01 PM
Hughie, I'm sure many people would have looked at that original piece of wood and seen firewood.

Not only have you rescued it, you've made it wonderful to behold.

brendan stemp
21st September 2012, 07:13 PM
I really like what you have done. Good job.

smiife
21st September 2012, 08:38 PM
very nice hughie,i have always found danish oil to be a good finish on burls
cheers smiife

TTIT
21st September 2012, 10:04 PM
Nice chunk of wood Hughie :2tsup: - nearly as nice as all the Coolibah burl we scored last weekend at Aramac :p:U

Willy Nelson
22nd September 2012, 12:49 AM
That's not a mallee vessel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is the other half??
Great looking piece of wood (I thought it was York Gum), gutsy effort sanding that bad boy, well done, as per usual
Willy
Jarrahland

artme
22nd September 2012, 11:05 AM
Super!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have you done knuckle count?:q

hughie
22nd September 2012, 02:45 PM
[That's not a mallee vessel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willy you maybe right I was given it as Mallee and did wonder as it was turned. I have afew burls like this :? but they look good :U

Thanks for all the positive comments and yes I have been busy,theres a couple more to come.

Willy Nelson
23rd September 2012, 10:46 AM
Hughie,
You have misunderstood me. When you said you had turned a Mallee vessel, I was challenging the fact that you had only turned half a vessel, (trying to be funny) maybe I should have put a TIC in there as well. I hope I haven't offended you or others.

As for the timber species, I only know my WA burls, so am not qualified to comment on those foul and foreign Easterner timbers (TIC here, see I am learning)

Cheers

Willy

Willy you maybe right I was given it as Mallee and did wonder as it was turned. I have afew burls like this :? but they look good :U

Thanks for all the positive comments and yes I have been busy,theres a couple more to come.

powderpost
23rd September 2012, 12:09 PM
Nice job Hughie.. :2tsup:.
Jim

torchwood
23rd September 2012, 07:12 PM
Love this kinda stuff :2tsup:

hughie
23rd September 2012, 07:56 PM
You have misunderstood me. When you said you had turned a Mallee vessel, I was challenging the fact that you had only turned half a vessel, (trying to be funny)

:U All good Willy, no offense even recognised. :U Still dunno what it is:?

Wood Nut
23rd September 2012, 10:03 PM
Great stuff as usual Hughie. Your high standards inspire others to achieve. Well done!
Cheers,
Paul

wheelinround
24th September 2012, 09:23 AM
A top 1/2 bowl Hughie as Willy said :U and for the wall thickness had to have some scary moments.