PDA

View Full Version : Woody nut seeks similar screw

DaveInOz
24th March 2005, 02:55 PM
Okay the title is predominantly to amuse myself, what I want to know is can you get tap and die sets for wood? and if so where from?

I'm just thinking that wooden nuts and bolts would be cool, maybe I should do some work and stop thinking up dumb ideas ;)

Termite
24th March 2005, 03:14 PM
I was tempted not to reply because it would be admitting to being attracted to the "come on" title, however the vultures will find another excuse to have a go at me anyway.
Yes these things are available, I've seen them somewhere in a cattledog in about 3 different sizes if my unreliable memory is working. I think it may be the Lee Valley dog but I'm not quite sure. Sorry I can't be more help right at the moment.

Sprog
24th March 2005, 03:16 PM
Try
http://www.bealltool.com/threader.htm

DaveInOz
24th March 2005, 03:25 PM
Termite - I could only find taps no dies - but then I'm not very bright

Sprog - thats the sort of thing! I would prefer not to have to use a router but perhaps i could fashion a handle to do it .... thanks.

bitingmidge
24th March 2005, 03:33 PM
Try also in the Best of the Best Forum index. There are a couple of threads on home made Clamps including a ripper on threading timber (by IanW I think?).

Cheers,

P

PAH1
24th March 2005, 03:34 PM
I am sort of sure that they are in the Carbatec catalogue, although it may be the timbecon one. Does not list on the carbatec website but then again very little does.

Sturdee
24th March 2005, 04:01 PM
Yes these things are available,

I know because I have some hanging on the wall of my shop, both taps and threader. :D :D

Peter.

AlexS
24th March 2005, 04:16 PM
I've heard of (but never tried) threading wood using metal nuts and bolts with a bit cut out of the thread to make it into a cutter. Maybe this is in the 'best of the best' thread.

Iain
24th March 2005, 04:21 PM
Carbatec have three different sizes, Bayswater (?) had some when I was in on Tuesday.

Barry_White
25th March 2005, 10:44 AM
Straight out of the Carbatec 2004 Catalouge.

javali
25th March 2005, 04:36 PM
Timbecon seems to have these on special now:
http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsearch/default.aspx?txtSearchBox=wtb-100

soundman
26th March 2005, 11:10 PM
Good dense wood taps with metal taps fine.
Across the grain is best, I have had good results with whitworth down to 1/4.
cheer

powderpost
26th March 2005, 11:42 PM
I have cut long threads (up to 12 inches) using maple, silky oak, red cedar and white beech for tapestry frames using the thread cutters similar to the tools in the Carbatec catalogue. When using these do not backup to cleat the thread. Keep going forward and back out once only. I have also successfully using a 3/8" whitworth tap in silky oak and maple. Making wooden nuts and bolts is a bit of fun.

Jim

DaveInOz
29th March 2005, 10:17 AM
thanks all