PDA

View Full Version : shifters (adjustable spanners to the young folk)

eskimo
21st September 2012, 05:26 PM
Why are they re-inventing the wheel..errr I mean the thumb screw/wheel?

sometime ago I bought a Teng Tool 6 inch and ended up giving it away....cos the thumb screw/wheel rotated in the opposite direction :?...pulling your thumb backwards closes the jaws ...compared to my Bahco's, Rothenberger's and Sidchrome's which opens the jaws.

it was pain in the but as I had become accustomed to going one way to open or close the jaws as required...the teng wanted to do it all the other way...
My lad has lost my two Rothenbegers so i thought I drop in to All tools and pick up a couple of Bahco's or any thing else good that went the RIGHT (even it is wrong) way...by alas the Bacho's they now have went the wrong way????? ..why, why why , just to be sure I went out to the van and check my 12 and 15 inch Bahco's etc...they went the right way...

bugga ...so off to another couple of joints...same thing with the Bahco's.

ended up going to Reece and picked up a couple 10in Rothenbergers...both going the right way!!...

are the manufacturers changing the way the thumb screw must rotate for any engineering reason?

or maybe they only had left handed shifters..... :D

Stustoys
21st September 2012, 05:39 PM
ummmm turn it over?

.RC.
21st September 2012, 06:02 PM
They used to make one type for the northern hemisphere and the opposite type for the southern hemisphere...

As it is the market is too small to make separate shifters for the southern hemisphere the manufacturers have decided to only make the one style so they only make northern hemisphere types now and we have to try to adapt to using them... It is just economic rationalism at work...

nrb
21st September 2012, 06:10 PM
North and South, Great:rolleyes:

SurfinNev
21st September 2012, 06:26 PM
Shifters........ hate them. Do have a couple somewhere, but where I don't know. That's how often I use them.

Nev

eskimo
21st September 2012, 06:33 PM
ummmm turn it over?

but then its upside down

eskimo
21st September 2012, 06:34 PM
They used to make one type for the northern hemisphere and the opposite type for the southern hemisphere...

As it is the market is too small to make separate shifters for the southern hemisphere the manufacturers have decided to only make the one style so they only make northern hemisphere types now and we have to try to adapt to using them... It is just economic rationalism at work...

I dont think thats right....

SurfinNev
21st September 2012, 08:46 PM

It's not. The earth has actually started spinning the opposite way. That's why they changed the design.

Nev

Jekyll and Hyde
21st September 2012, 09:12 PM
LOL! I picked up a small universal rounding tool out of the bosses toolbox just the other day, and it took me about 30 seconds to work out why the hell it was opening instead of closing. At which point I abused him for buying a left handed shifter.

I thought it was just because it was a very cheap shifter with a 'made in India' sticker on it, but apparently not...

rusty steel
21st September 2012, 09:23 PM
My shifters always go the wrong way. If I want to open the jaws,I think "close". If I want to close the jaws,I think "open". It works for me.
Russell:2tsup:

.RC.
21st September 2012, 09:29 PM

The chaps who met me at the scraping class will vouch for my total and unbreakable honesty...

eskimo
21st September 2012, 09:56 PM
so there is no engineering reason..i knew we would all agree

Anorak Bob
21st September 2012, 10:45 PM
I've got 8 Bahcos. 6 have left hand threads. The other 2 with their right hand threads feel arseabout. So RC, are they from the north or south? :U

MuellerNick
22nd September 2012, 06:58 AM
They all come from the same Chinese factory. And it is a known fact, that they can't pronounce a "r", So the "RH thread" became a "LH" thread (transmitted over telephone).

Nick

Ueee
22nd September 2012, 07:53 AM
They all come from the same Chinese factory. And it is a known fact, that they can't pronounce a "r", So the "RH thread" became a "LH" thread (transmitted over telephone).

Nick
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: good one Nick.

eskimo
22nd September 2012, 09:42 AM

Nick

:clap::clap::clap:

Greg Q
22nd September 2012, 10:05 AM
The chaps who met me at the scraping class will vouch for my total and unbreakable honesty...

Oh hell yes. Honest to a fault.

Grahame Collins
22nd September 2012, 10:05 AM
Why are they re-inventing the wheel..errr I mean the thumb screw/wheel?
:D

Plainly,it' s a conspiracy to send western tool users nuts.:rolleyes:

After 100 years of using shifters the right way way:2tsup:, have some little plicks unilaterally decided we need to unlearn a deeply ingrained way of using
the sacred precision instrument of Australian DIY ?? .:oo:

I would like to use one on their NUTS:D:D:D:D:D:D

Steamwhisperer
22nd September 2012, 10:31 PM
Oh hell yes. Honest to a fault.

Yep, San Andreas fault.

Phil

bts
22nd September 2012, 10:53 PM
I had one the same. Works backwords in the right hand and the right way in the left.

Greg Q
23rd September 2012, 10:36 AM
Why are you guys using shifters anyway? Nothing beats a pair of pliers in a strong grip for quick, efficient rounding over fasteners. Shifters are good at that, but I find that it often takes a few goes to really root a hex nut.maybe I'm doing it wrong?

GQ

eskimo
23rd September 2012, 11:40 AM
.maybe I'm doing it wrong?

GQ

you must be....my son who works for me has no problem.....

and I use shifters as its too ruddy hard carrying both metric and AF spanners up onto a roof for pipework

however when I work on mechanical stuff I use the correct size open, ringy or socket

Ueee
23rd September 2012, 12:55 PM
you must be....my son who works for me has no problem.....

and I use shifters as its too ruddy hard carrying both metric and AF spanners up onto a roof for pipework

however when I work on mechanical stuff I use the correct size open, ringy or socket

What? I didn't think plumbers (ok, so your a fridgie) even knew what ya ring or open ended spanner was! I never get it right, I just twiddle until the damn things are tight.

Bryan
23rd September 2012, 05:18 PM
Seen these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XtPcs-4D0I&feature=youtu.be

A Duke
23rd September 2012, 05:47 PM
Hi,
The ones that had me mystified are the double headed ones with 8" size head one end and a 6" the other, what the hell for?
Regards

Jekyll and Hyde
23rd September 2012, 07:01 PM
Hi,
The ones that had me mystified are the double headed ones with 8" size head one end and a 6" the other, what the hell for?
Regards

Aha! Now that's also part of the very cunning plan. You see, they're designed to be impossible to use in any kind of confined space without permanently maiming yourself by squishing your hand. Then 'they' will take your job that you can no longer do due to crippled hands...