PDA

View Full Version : Moon ball.

Jonzjob
25th September 2012, 07:01 AM
Earlier this year there was a challenge on another forum I'm on to turn a suspended/supported ball. I don't normally do arty, but decided to have a crack at it. Not sure what to do I just let the wood tell me, I know, a stupid thing, but it works for me because it does tell me. I finished up with what I called a moon ball. The support is off centre turned supporting a cedar ball hung on a 3 link beech chain. I enjoyed the challenge and it's made a lovely ornament.. It didn't get anywhere in the challenge but who cares if SWMBO likes it!!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Moonball3.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Moonball1.jpg

The 3 extra rings were just a bit of practice:?:?

tea lady
25th September 2012, 09:12 AM
Love it. :cool::2tsup:

Is he chain all turned together? Or make the rings separately and split one to join them? :think: I guess you would have to split one of them. :doh:

artme
25th September 2012, 10:13 AM
Like it!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Scott
25th September 2012, 10:49 AM
Yup, works for me!

turnerted
25th September 2012, 05:31 PM
A good design. Would probably work for a club challange I have coming up. What size is it?
Ted

Ad de Crom
25th September 2012, 06:22 PM
John, you have a great imagination.
I like it very much.
Ad :2tsup:

Jonzjob
25th September 2012, 07:58 PM
Thank you for your kind replies :)

The chain was turned as the 3 loose rings and one broken as you thought. I did some extras in case the one didn't break cleanly. No need because it was OK..

I hope that you have better luck than me in your challenge Ted. It didn't even get a mention in the one I put it in :no::no:

The design (?) sort of developed as I went along and I had no idea as to what I was going to finish up with.

dai sensei
25th September 2012, 08:08 PM
:coolio:

minus459
25th September 2012, 08:27 PM
G'day John, if it was a competition between you and me you'd come first and daylight would fill the next 10 places at least. well done.

undies

ian thorn
25th September 2012, 08:45 PM
A work of art John well done and nice finish:2tsup:

Jonzjob
25th September 2012, 08:58 PM
Ian, I have no way of commenting about where we would both come as I haven't seen any of your work, but I doubt that you would be very far behing if indeed you weren't in front :D:D

Edit : - Now this is getting confusing :oo:. I have to assume that there are 2 Ians at least out there? The above comment was meant for the first, but thank you for your comment as well Ian (:?:?) My brain cell 'urts now..

Looking back again, I think??? that the first comment was meant for Minus and that the 2 Ians are just one and I'm getting confused (not difficult) by the 'like system on here. I haven't come across it before???

Oh, nurse!! Where's me medication :C:C

dr4g0nfly
26th September 2012, 08:07 AM
I don't normally do arty, but decided to have a crack at it. Not sure what to do I just let the wood tell me,

Your wood must speak a different language to mine then!

I'm definitely with the majority here, I think it;'s a great piece.

Jonzjob
26th September 2012, 08:48 AM
D-fly, I have never really understood why, but if I am turning something to a definate plan it can be difficult or it can be easy. If I try to do 2 things, a pair of goblets for instance, one can be easy and the other a real pain in the sit-upon. It can either be the first or second. If I put a lump onto the lathe with no idea and just go and follow what seems to be what the wood wants then it's easy. If I try to change that the fun starts.

It sounds bloody stupid to me as I try to explain it, but that's how it feels. I am not a 'tree hugger, vegan, plant worshipiping hippie'. Far from it, as friends will confirm, but I just don't know how else to explain it?

minus459
26th September 2012, 11:46 PM
Ian, I have no way of commenting about where we would both come as I haven't seen any of your work, but I doubt that you would be very far behing if indeed you weren't in front :D:D

Edit : - Now this is getting confusing :oo:. I have to assume that there are 2 Ians at least out there? The above comment was meant for the first, but thank you for your comment as well Ian (:?:?) My brain cell 'urts now..

Looking back again, I think??? that the first comment was meant for Minus and that the 2 Ians are just one and I'm getting confused (not difficult) by the 'like system on here. I haven't come across it before???

Oh, nurse!! Where's me medication :C:C
Here John have some of mine and I'll meet you on Betelgeuse 3...............I'm known as "undies" and there ain't 2 of us on here.....lol :;
Oh and believe me your creation is light years ahead of me. Well bloody done, I'm in awe.:B:B

Jonzjob
27th September 2012, 12:06 AM
in awe? Is that near Geelong?

My sister and family used to live in Bulongarook. I spent a month out there only to have to leave on the Friday of the start of your 200 celebrations! Bruv-in-law forgot to tell me!!

Paul39
27th September 2012, 12:32 PM
D-fly, I have never really understood why, but if I am turning something to a definate plan it can be difficult or it can be easy. If I try to do 2 things, a pair of goblets for instance, one can be easy and the other a real pain in the sit-upon. It can either be the first or second. If I put a lump onto the lathe with no idea and just go and follow what seems to be what the wood wants then it's easy. If I try to change that the fun starts. It sounds bloody stupid to me as I try to explain it, but that's how it feels. I am not a 'tree hugger, vegan, plant worshipiping hippie'. Far from it, as friends will confirm, but I just don't know how else to explain it? I do mostly bowls from wood picked up along the road. I heat with solar and wood so nothing goes to waste. I like stumps, crotches, twisted trunks that have been constrained by vines, spalted, etc. I have a general idea what the final piece will look like, but very often something inside, either nice grain or a bad flaw will change that completely. So the wood does tell me what it will look like in the end. The first photo is of a bowl made from a piece of firewood from a friend. I had gone there for dinner and he said ha had cut down a dead locust and cut it up for firewood. I wanted to see what he had and I got two blocks from him. There was imbedded barbed wire in them which I followed with a junk tool removed and proceeded with my $$$ bowl gouge. The mushrooms are from tree limbs trimmed by a neighbor. The vase was turned from the cedar lump on the lathe, I had no idea what the outcome would be. One of the turning rules is to not have the center of a log in the piece. You see how well I take direction. I love the moon ball. Do not worry about winning competitions. If a piece pleases you and the purchaser or recipient, that is all that counts.