PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Drill

Iain
3rd June 2001, 08:16 PM
On 5/9/2000 I purchased a brand new GSB20/2RE Heavy Duty blue series hammer drill.
Realising that I bought it almost nine months ago I am less than impressed with the life of the tool.
I have drilled two holes in a kitchen wall and two and a half holes in a slab of concrete with an 11mm drill and now the unit is screaming. Something is seriously wrong and the six months warranty is up. I always buy professional tools such as FESTO or the like and I thought I was safe with Bosch. I am reluctant to spend money on a tool that has such a limited life expectancy. This was my first and last experience with Bosch, so much for professional.
Even Ozito offer a 12 month warranty and GMC 2 years. My Festo gear has a 3 year warranty.
Has anyone had experience with Bosch and their credibility as this drill has probably had about 10 minutes total use. I have emailed Bosch and I await their reply but needless to say if this is the best they can offer I would not recommend the gear to anyone. I always like to have a drill on hand but it does not get a lot of use as my drill presses are used more as are the cordless units.
Any feedback would be appreciated and any experience you have had with Bosch.

This edit is for the innapropriate smilie at the start http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Iain (edited 03 June 2001).]

John Saxton
3rd June 2001, 11:14 PM
Hi Iain,I still have a Bosch drill with hammer action that works perfectly for me.
Also amongst my tools are a Bosch PEX125 orbital sander now relegated to small jobs also with no probs.
And a Bosch GOF1300ACE Router which I would thoroughly recommend as a medium range or entry level router.
Having said all that I have not had noise or bearing,or armature faults to this day(fingers crossed and I hope I'M not putting a hex on myself here)with the only part replacement was a new pad for the orbital sander due to normal wear and tear.
I hope you haven't got landed with one of those shonky Friday or Monday Production line jobs.
I should add that all of these tools would have been in my possession for about 5yrs now.
Consequently I have had no bitch so to speak with Bosch to this date!
Be interesting to hear how you make out with Bosch.
Good Luck Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

ubeaut
4th June 2001, 09:52 AM
I have had 2 Bosch tools a green random orbital sander the big one (no idea of the number). About 6 mths after buying it the bearings went. Replaced them at my expense, 6mth later the motor clagged it, fixed it and 3 mth later the bearings went again, the motor belched smoke and thing stopped working for good. Five minutes later the piece of German crap was consigned to the bin (after being violently beaten to a final death with a hammer).

I was in desperate need of a sander to replace it and all I could come up with on short notice aws another Bosch a green one smaller size. This worked rerally well for about 18mth - 2 years. Then, you guessed it The bearings went. Replaced them and they went again. I still have it somewhere, I keep it as a reminder to never again buy a Bosch tool. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/mad.gif

I realize that these were not the top of the line tools but just the same they weren't the bottom either. I have had rubbish tools that have worked harder and out lasted those 2 by miles.

Shane Watson
4th June 2001, 12:48 PM
Iain, Don't go telling me that. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif I have a brand new one still sitting in it's case, never been used, down in the workshop! Geez might have to get it out and give it a thrashing and see what happens......

Neil, Its good to hear that I am not the only one that finds stress relief in hitting crap power tools with a good quality hammer!! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

You know, some of my longer lasting tools are the cheap pnuematic tools. I never put the daily dose of oil in em either and they never seem to miss a beat. Occasionally the bearings will go in a sander, but they are cheap enough to replace..... I have a drill ( thats why the Bosch is still in its case ) That has been absolutly thrashed for over 5yrs without oil and it still drills as good today as it did when I first got it. And being so light it makes it a pleasure to use for longer periods.

Cheers...

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

Iain
4th June 2001, 12:56 PM
Got a reply from Bosch and they informed me that despite the card with the product stating it is a six month warranty it is in fact twelve months. The drill went in this morning and I have been told to wait about a week.
As I said before, I don't use a power drill much but SWMBO has ordered a carport to be put up and I was drilling holes in 4" concrete to put the self tapping screws (excaliburs if anyone has not heard of masonry self tappers, another subject). Two holes, no problems, number three and it starts screaming. Back to the old (25 years) Skil, God forbid, hammer drill. 650 watts of banging and rattling but it got the job done.
I now live in hope that this is the end of the problem.
Thanks for your confidence inspiring post Neil.

AlexS
5th June 2001, 09:16 AM
Good old Skill Sher! My 35 year old drill is still purring away like new. All I've ever done is grease the gears and replace the power lead grommett.

On the matter of getting satisfaction from a multinational company, I've found that a stern email to their head office in whatever country, pointing out that you've had it with their local people and will they please sort it out, often gets results. Tried this with my stockbroker, had a phone call from New York within 3 hours, then an after hours phone call from their Sydney office, then another call from NY to make sure that someone had contacted me, all to get them to do what I suggested in the first place.

brettdel
5th June 2001, 04:17 PM
Iain - glad you got a good responce from bosch, i was going to buy a sander till I had a close look at it - had made in china stamp on the bottom in very small letters have'nt look at the brand since

just a word on warranty don't be fooled by what any manufacture states as the warranty period because there is also a thing called an implied warranty which basicaly means screw the manufacture if you buy something and it does'nt last a reasonable time they have to by law fix it - if you buy a TV for example you should reasonable expect to get 10 or more years out of it and the warranty is usually 1 maybe 2 years - take it to consumer court and you'll win.

I know tools are a bit of a grey area - but I just went through this with a cordless drill keyless chuck (german brand m.....) 2 years after purchase the chuck stripped, contacted the manufacture their reply was a hostile no way - which really got up my nose as the thing had had little use - sent back a letter raving on about implied warranty and a week later a new chuck arrived in the mail. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

brettdel
5th June 2001, 04:18 PM
Iain - glad you got a good responce from bosch, i was going to buy a sander till I had a close look at it - had made in china stamp on the bottom in very small letters have'nt look at the brand since

just a word on warranty don't be fooled by what any manufacture states as the warranty period because there is also a thing called an implied warranty which basicaly means screw the manufacture if you buy something and it does'nt last a reasonable time they have to by law fix it - if you buy a TV for example you should reasonable expect to get 10 or more years out of it and the warranty is usually 1 maybe 2 years - take it to consumer court and you'll win.

I know tools are a bit of a grey area - but I just went through this with a cordless drill keyless chuck (german brand m.....) 2 years after purchase the chuck stripped, contacted the manufacture their reply was a hostile no way - which really got up my nose as the thing had had little use - sent back a letter raving on about implied warranty and a week later a new chuck arrived in the mail. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Iain
5th June 2001, 05:26 PM
Bad stutter there Brett, thanks for your opinions and advice and I hope all will be well now.
I am at present having trouble with Hewlett Packard who have charged me twice for Tech Support which I neither requested or authorised. They have a agreed to refund my money but not the bank fee incurred. Another massive bun fight with big companies who treat the individual like s***.
No edits neccessary Neil.
The big companies are as warped as the timber that Neil tries to sell us http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Iain
6th June 2001, 05:51 PM
Well, I just got my drill back, dropped it in MOnday PM and it was ready by midday today.
The problem was not bearings but (speaking quietly and slightly embarrassed) the fan was touching the case http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/redface.gif
Having said that I fired a fairly caustic email at Bosch and received a prompt reply and I wonder if this contributed to the prompt service.
I will now give the thing a hiding for the three remaining months of warranty.