PDA

View Full Version : Table Router Combo

bobcarter
28th September 2012, 10:16 AM
I'm committed to building a mobile router table for my home shop. I've looked over, under and around this forum trying to get the ducks guts on what is the ideal combo of router, router lift and fence systems. What frustrates me (and no doubt many others) is that all the good equipment in the US is geared towards a 110V Porter Cable motor. Damn!

So, in anticipation of final questions & research at the Melbourne Wood Show in a few weeks, the combo that I am thinking of is a ...

Hitachi M12V router
Incra Mast R Lift II
Incra Wonder Fence.

Welcome any thoughts or comments from those router buffs in the know. They key to all of this is having a router and lift combo that is a compatible match, (together with above the table bit changing) before going out and purchasing the components.

Thanks. Bob

Chief Tiff
28th September 2012, 02:20 PM
They key to all of this is having a router and lift combo that is a compatible match, (together with above the table bit changing) before going out and purchasing the components.

In the Australian Wood Review number 52 Richard Vaughan describes how he made his own table using a Unilift and a Triton router. Although he doesn't specifically state that the two were compatible, he didn't say that any further drilling to the lift or the trouter was required. Maybe ask him yourself, [email protected], or look up the specs for the lift.

To the best of my knowledge the Triton is still the only router that allows through-plungeing for bit changes above the table. Any other router you buy will require a router extension to achieve the same aim; personally I wouldn't be happy spinning a big panel raising bit or a long moulding bit in an extension. Also the Triton has excellent dust extraction. With no need to access the collet above the baseplate they simply fitted full sized shrouds that completely cover the cutting area. Plus the extraction port is threaded so you can screw a bare vaccuum hose straight in with no adaptors or anything to fall out.

Now stand by for the deluge of Triton haters who will spend the next 20 posts bagging this machine. I've nothing against the Dewalt 625, the Hitachi M12 and the Makita 36 having used all of them in the past, but when I want a simple to use table mounted router the Triton wins hands down. I've had my big Triton for over 9 years now. I've had to replace the bearings recently but that was a relatively simple and cheap job. I like this machine so much I've just ordered it's baby brother for hand work; I'm expecting to be able to offload two, maybe three of my other routers as they will be unneccesary.

NCArcher
28th September 2012, 02:40 PM
Hi Bob, there is a difference between the M12V and the M12VC.
I don't think the Masta-Lift II will accept a M12V and I don't think the VC is available in Aus.
I think the best option for Australia is one of these (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/category199_1.htm).
They won't be available till Jan next year but that's not too far away now.

nrb
28th September 2012, 02:53 PM
The Triton IMO is the way to go,I have the big one (bought not long after it came on the market) mounted in the Carbatec router table(started with the Triton table) I had to put new bearings on also after about 4 years.
This table from Carbatec is the cheapest they sell and a great improvement from the Triton .There are some things that needed tuning with this table,one being the fence it was not straight,I took it off and sanded the casting true on my 6 inch belt sander this only took a few minutes to do,as it is cast iron it sanded very well with the belt which was on there.
The other issue that I thought needed change was the position of the hold down fingers,I thought they were in the wrong position with the one on the exit side being too far away fron the cutting point,fixed that by drilling new holes to move then closer.
I don't know about the the new Triton units but mine has a problem doing up the 1/4 inch collet that came with it, it just never did up properly,I bought a Girfin (I think that is the name)following a suggestion posted on the Forum.
So
1. a solid table
2. an above the table bit change
3.hight adjustment via Triton
4.very good dust removal,withTriton and dust ports on table
5.repeatable acurate cuts,not possible with Triton
Hope this adds to your considerations

bobcarter
1st October 2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone but I’m not too sure that I’ve clarified which Australian-available router is compatible with the Incra Mast R Lift II. What I’m hearing is that there is no router that is compatible and the only option is the UniLift which has in all reality been discontinued! Surely not?

Bob

PS I've never owned a Triton router and have to admit to not being a fan, having reasd the various posts about Triton.

bobcarter
3rd October 2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks to the good advice from Mark Mueller at Incra there is an easy solution at hand with 240 volt routers from the UK.

The AEG MF1400-KE is the 240 volt version of the Rigid R29302, the Bosch GMF 1400 is equivalent to the Bosch 1617 EVS and there is a third router which fits the Mast R Lift II being the Draper Expert 1350, a 240 v machine.

I don’t believe that any of these are available in Australia, but stand corrected if someone knows a source. So problem solved for my router lift application… and for those looking for a fixed base/plunge 240 v router combo there is a solution at hand. Thanks Mark & Incra.

Bob

Thanks for the replies everyone but I’m not too sure that I’ve clarified which Australian-available router is compatible with the Incra Mast R Lift II. What I’m hearing is that there is no router that is compatible and the only option is the UniLift which has in all reality been discontinued! Surely not?

Bob

PS I've never owned a Triton router and have to admit to not being a fan, having reasd the various posts about Triton.

Chris Parks
4th October 2012, 12:04 AM
I'm committed to building a mobile router table for my home shop. I've looked over, under and around this forum trying to get the ducks guts on what is the ideal combo of router, router lift and fence systems. What frustrates me (and no doubt many others) is that all the good equipment in the US is geared towards a 110V Porter Cable motor. Damn!

I have been thinking about that lately and have an idea. There are a lot more routers in 110v as you rightly point out and if it is going into a table incorporate a 110v power supply in the table and Roberts yer uncle as for all intents and purposes it is now 240V. BTW I think I would go for the latest Bosch kit if it were me. The other easy option is to source one from the UK.

bobcarter
5th October 2012, 01:20 AM
After much web searching for designs of router tables I stumbled across what I consider to be the perfect table for my needs.... router lift, Incra positioner and Wonder fence in a very tidy package. Here's the link Router Table - Reader's Gallery - Fine Woodworking (http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/42837/router-table) I'm hoping that the builder, John Rogers in the US, can help me with his basic dimensions, otherwise I'll do my best to scale off the known sizes. Bingo!

Bob

bobcarter
24th October 2012, 08:37 AM
I've done more research on the router itself and settled upon the AEG MF1400 KE as the ideal and best available match for the MastRLift.

Does anyone know of & recommend a good on-line supplier in the UK who ships to Australia?

Thanks. Bob