PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Drill

TOMARTOM
6th June 2001, 11:10 PM
I have been holding out for a cordless drill for quite some time. I am having some trouble with holding a typical electric hammer/drill as the weight and size makes WW difficult.

I would like a good quality unit, suitable for the novice woodworker whilst getting a compact,quality drill.

Preferably 9.6 or 12 volt, keyless with a one hour charge and under $200.

you assistance is appreciated

Tony V

Iain
7th June 2001, 08:30 AM
Can we have some more info Tom, what do you intend doing with it? I have a little 5v rechargable which is OK for drilling a few little holes, it is light and easy to hold but anything over a 1/8" bit it finds it a challenge. At the other end of the scale I have an 18v which I have used for driving #6 x 4" roofing screws into old seasoned 'Hard' wood. This thing has so mich grunt it can near on break your wrist.
High voltage drills require more power so up goes the weight with the size/volume of the battery pack, to deliver this much grunt the batteries are paralled to provide an acceptable usable time.
A compromise that a friend of mine uses is a Makita 9.6v, he has two of them and does the rounds of the craft markets with prefabricated spud boxes, shoe racks etc. He makes these out of that wonderful exotic, pinus radiata during the week and when he gets to the market he assembles them with the two Makitas, one for drilling using the Stanley drill/pilot/CS bit and the other as a screw driver. The punters love it and he has a spare battery for each which I do not think he has used.
$200.00 you may just get away with the MAKITA but have a look at GMC which is getting some good reviews on this board and carries a 2 year warranty. Couyld be worth looking at and availbale from Bunnings, Hardwarehouse etc.
You mention power and hammer drills at th4e start and I am assuming that do not want this on a rechargable, if you do, $200.00 is not even going to give you a deposite. Hope this is of some help. Iain
http://www.gmcompany.com/default.htm

[This message has been edited by Iain (edited 07 June 2001).]

TOMARTOM
7th June 2001, 08:38 PM
Your advice is appreciated, the drill would be required to drill up to 10mm in wood(particulary hardwoods up to 2 inches thick. A liitle fixing of screws may also be needed from time to time.

The key factor for me is 'lightweight', probably would like to stick to something like Makita.

Cheers

Tony V

Rod Smith
7th June 2001, 10:05 PM
G'day
I was recently talking to a local tool dealer re cordless drills. He recommended the big dewalt for what I was asking about, but their about $400. The next best thing in his opinion (which I value) was the hitachi 12v, I saw one on special for $216 recently.
Cheers
Rod
Ps I bought a couple of 7.2v bosch (green) for around $150 each. They've been good to me, been using them for a coupla years. Now I see same model 12v for $99.

ubeaut
8th June 2001, 01:21 AM
If weight and size is a special consideration, don't just confine yourself to looking at cordless drills. A 12 volt cordless is pretty heavy and reasonably bulky. There are much lighter electric drills around. Anything under 9.6 volt isn't all that much chop unless you are wanting to spend a lot of money.

I have a 5 volt Ryobi which is all but useless for anything but the lightest of work. I have a 12 volt Ryobi that is a real work-horse. The 12 volt weighs almost twice the weight of the 9 volt and more than a common old garden variety electric drill.

I also have a 14.5 volt Jutco (a real cheapie) not worth a pinch of rocking horse poop. It also is heavier than a standard drill.

It may pay to have a good look at all the alternatives including some of the smaller light weight electric drills before purchasing, especially if price is also an issue,and by the looks of it at around $200 it is.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif