PDA

View Full Version : Machinery Suppliers In Melbourne

ozwinner
26th March 2005, 06:12 PM
Hi boys and Girls.
Now that CT Melbourne is no longer with us.

Put up some names or links of who supplies machinery, this way we get to help everyone out. :)

We dont need to rant on about CT Melbourne, its been done to death in another thread.

Heres my pick.
http://www.woodworking.com.au/

Al :D

Chesand
27th March 2005, 08:30 AM
Nice guy to deal with - small family business
Lets support him as there is nothing much else on the northern side of Melb The more support he gets the bigger his range will become.

Groggy
27th March 2005, 09:11 AM
Put up some names or links of who supplies machinery, this way we get to help everyone out. :)
My choice would be Get Woodworking. They don't have a website but they are dealers for Leda http://www.ledamachinery.com.au/ and can get nearly anything ordered in.

I've given a more comprehensive description at http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=13921

A sample range is kept in the store.

Cohuna
28th March 2005, 02:52 AM
:confused: I thought Carbatec is still trading in Eastern suburbs but I haven't been there for sometime now. I would be saddened at the loss of an this business as for me the staff there have always be supportive and friendly. I'm sure many others have got good bargains and advice from them in the past but humans being what we are, tend to advertise the not so good incidents/dealings with any business.
:) As Far as WMS is concerned, I have only purchased small items from them and they also are very supportive and keen to assist woodies and alike who visit there store.
I believe there is another business in preston area close to WMS called Northern Machinery or some thing like that. I think they mainly sold second hand machines. Maybe someone may known more.

:o I just read the earlier posting and it would seem Carbatec is no longer trading which I still believe is sad for us woodies.

Cohuna

Forest Gump
28th March 2005, 06:49 AM
I have been looking at buying a swb 4300 bandsaw for a little while now. I had one on ordered through Carbatec Melbourne but there prices seemed quite high because of demand and lack of stock.

Now given that I live on the unsupported side of Melbourne, Timbecon seem to be a good option at the moment. They have just put up there new web site and the prices are very good even with frieght included.

The only problem that I can see with Timbecon is warranty claims etc.

Daniel

Chesand
28th March 2005, 07:47 AM
Daniel
There can be a problem with warranty claims.
See my previous post 'Timbecon - not happy Jan' under Tools and Machinery.
Northern Machinery is still in Plenty Rd Preston but as you said is mainly secondhand stuff. WMS in now a few hundred metres to the north in Planty Rd

Groggy
28th March 2005, 09:08 AM
Daniel, I have the 4300 and ordered it through Leda, try their dealer at Get Woodworking.

Note - I seem to be pushing Get WW a lot recently, I have no affiliation other than as a customer.

vsquizz
28th March 2005, 10:19 AM
We dont need to rant on about CT Melbourne, its been done to death in another thread.

Al :D
NnnoooOO.... has it really:D :D :D

Cheers

Sir Stinkalot
28th March 2005, 06:34 PM
Here is a link to Woodworking Warehouse (http://www.woodwarehouse.com.au/) ..... the showroom looks good from the photo. Its unfortunate that there isn't further details on the site because I am sure that we would all like to view items online. Another concern is when you click the showcase link and check the last time it was updated :eek: I think the Homesglen Triton group paid a visit a few months ago so maybe one of them can report on the store.

Other Melbourne store include:
Carrolls (http://au.store.yahoo.com/cws-store/index.html) because there is also the need for smaller woodworking related items also.

In Geelong there is Oslinik machinery (?) corner of Noble and Pakington St Newtown who sell some odds and sods ... they are a stockist for Teknatool.

In Essendon(ish) there is a strange tool shop that sells a hand tools, a few new machines and some second hand stuff. If you head along Keilor (?) Rd you will find it down the end past M10. It can be seen from the Fwy just before the Bulla Rd/Tulla Fwy merge.

Robert WA
28th March 2005, 06:44 PM
Not being a Victorian, I don't know, but this site has some links.

http://www.vwa.org.au/

ubeaut
29th March 2005, 12:43 PM
Personally I am really sorry to see Carba-Tec Melb go, they offered something that most others don't and that was almost 1 stop shopping for tools and equipment etc. However their demise isn't the end of the world.

The same few hundred machinery and tool places that were there long before Carba-Tec are still there now. They are everywhere all you need to do is open your eyes when you drive around. If you have trouble spotting them from the car try the Yellow pages and let the fingers do the walking for you.

Apart from the obvious ones like Woodworking Warehouse - Braeside and WMS - Preston there is also Northern Machinery - Preston, Hare and Forbes - Clayton. Total tools - all over the place, United Tools - also all over the place. Then there's the really obvious ones like Bunnies and Mitre 10.

Over the years I have purchased a lot of machinery and none has come from Carba-Tec. One where I purchased a lot of stuff from (can't remember their name) was on Springvale Rd somewhere near the big Safeway or Coles wharehouse. They had ten times more machinery on the floor than Carba-Tec ever had on theirs. Their machinery included everthing from top of the line to the Taiwanese stuff I guess they're still there.

If worst comes to worst wait a while..... I'm sure there'll be another Carba-Tec opening soon.

zymurgy
29th March 2005, 12:52 PM
One where I purchased a lot of stuff from (can't remember their name) was on Springvale Rd somewhere near the big Safeway or Coles wharehouse.

Ubeaut,

Please try and remember, close to me :)

Gordon.

Sir Stinkalot
7th April 2005, 10:29 PM
I have just received a catalogue from "Woodworking Warehouse" and I must say that I am very impressed. Last time (a few years ago) that I ordered a catalogue it was a few colour pages of Jet equipment. This new catalogue, which appears to be the same as is distributed throughout the US, is A4,full colour and about the same thickness as CT's. Unfortunately there are no prices but I am sure that they are justa phone call away. Well worth an order of copy if you are looking for new machinery.