PDA

View Full Version : Titan Lathe

dennisk
1st October 2012, 01:04 AM
Hello from sunny Alberta. I have been looking for a big lathe for a while now and was mainly focusing on the American beauty by Robust and then the Steinert Gamma 300/1100 became my object of desire. Now a Titan Magna 400 has come up and it is only 1100 kms away. Any one on this forum with any info good or bad re these monsters? They come pretty highly recommended and the price would be less than the Steinert(although that is still the one I want) but more than the Robust or a big ONeway.Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks DK

hughie
1st October 2012, 08:36 PM
Well not being an owner I can comment on how it performs. But for looking over the specs etc it looks like it'l do the job no matter what

MAGMA fine woodworking (http://www.magma-tools.de/Director/name/MAGMA+Black+Line/idKey/GRP1222966602719/)

But at the going exchange rate for the Canadian $9,344.92 it seems a bit expensive, that does include the 20% VAT and I suspect the much off set of the VAT will be eaten up by frieght and import duty into Canada.

Magma Black Line Titan 400 , the photos / review : Wood Turning - Lathes - UKworkshop.co.uk (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/magma-black-line-titan-400-the-photos-review-t46777.html)

Heres a good collection of images by one owner in the UK

dennisk
8th October 2012, 02:05 AM
Come on now boys and girls, there has to be someone out there in radio land who has some experience with one of these lathes. It is getting cheaper and just about in the ballpark with the others in this size and power range. It is a bit of a drive to go and have a boo at, so any hands on info would be appreciated. How about I buy a pint if we meet in Alberta or Oz wherever? Or two! thanks Dk

brendan stemp
8th October 2012, 08:22 AM
Sorry for the lack of interest in your thread, Dennis, but us Aussies just don't see much of these lathes. Our choice is mainly from Vicmarc Woodfast Tecnatool and the various Chinese/Taiwanese imports. Not much from the US or Europe tends to make it to our shores.

issatree
8th October 2012, 10:17 AM
Hey Brendan,
You left out the Stubby, but then you have to be able to afford it.
Dennisk, a Stubby is an " Omega Stubby " made in our State of Vic. from where these Forums were started.
If you Google it, you will find various Models.

NeilS
10th October 2012, 08:23 PM
Not much from the US or Europe tends to make it to our shores.

However, some of our lathes do make it to Nth America...:U... see here (http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=8327).

I understand that the Titan is manufactured in Germany, so the UK turning forums may be worth a try.

dennisk
14th October 2012, 03:31 AM
Bought it this morning. Will drive out at Christmas to pick it up and visit the brother for a couple days out on the left coast. Now I have to get the new bearings in the old Wadkin.

NeilS
14th October 2012, 09:23 AM
Bought it this morning. Will drive out at Christmas to pick it up and visit the brother for a couple days out on the left coast. Now I have to get the new bearings in the old Wadkin.

....:2tsup:

And, any photos of work-in-progress on the Wadkin would be well received here on the forum...:)