PDA

View Full Version : Oltre wood lathe mc1100a

red box
1st October 2012, 04:20 PM
Any performance information on this lathe pls?

hughie
1st October 2012, 08:48 PM
If we leave off the Oltre etc and look at the MC1100 you will find its a generic Chinese lathe that many sellers import and put there own name on it.
Many forum users currently have one or started with one, as I myself did.

Comments: Well nothing wrong with the design, the manufacturing process or machining of the components is some what lacking in detail finish. Some fettling will be required when buying new, especially around the edges of the castings. The legs will flex with large-ish chunks and weighting the tray underneath will help.

Having said that its still a good lathe to start with, for the price your paying, and lets face it a fancy lathe will not produce fancy outcomes unless the turner is capable. Basically it lets you get the taste for turning on a cast iron bed lathe at a price very few other suppliers or manufacturers can compete with.

red box
2nd October 2012, 05:33 PM
If we leave off the Oltre etc and look at the MC1100 you will find its a generic Chinese lathe that many sellers import and put there own name on it.
Many forum users currently have one or started with one, as I myself did.

Comments: Well nothing wrong with the design, the manufacturing process or machining of the components is some what lacking in detail finish. Some fettling will be required when buying new, especially around the edges of the castings. The legs will flex with large-ish chunks and weighting the tray underneath will help.

Having said that its still a good lathe to start with, for the price your paying, and lets face it a fancy lathe will not produce fancy outcomes unless the turner is capable. Basically it lets you get the taste for turning on a cast iron bed lathe at a price very few other suppliers or manufacturers can compete with.

Thanks Hughie very useful & helpful information.

ian thorn
2nd October 2012, 07:52 PM
I had the mc900 for some yrs and if the 1100 has the pressed steel stand the same as the 900 I screwed ply to the bottom frame and the back it not only made it good and firm it added another storage shelf ,I never fond it needed to have any wieght added but it may help

red box
2nd October 2012, 09:40 PM
Thank you Ian. From a photo of the stand of the MC1100 there appear to be lugs cast in to the Machine`s legs for a shelf - which bears out your suggestion. Regards Red Box