PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my Lathe

Skewturn
2nd October 2012, 09:35 PM
Hi All
I have a teknatool 1624-44 lathe which I am happy with but I was thinking of fitting it with VFD. I have read what others have done but I am not sure if I can do it to my lathe. Has anyone done one of these lathes if so can they fill me in on how to do it? The other things is I believe the motors need to have brushes does this lathe motor have brushes I have had much luck researching on the net. Also what VFD systems are not to exspensive and work well. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Skewturn

brendan stemp
2nd October 2012, 10:47 PM
What's a VFD?

Scott
2nd October 2012, 10:59 PM
What's a VFD?

Variable Frequency Drive. What I think (pretty sure) Skewturn wants is a way to change the speed of the work without changing belts.

Don't quote me on any of this however I've got a 1624/44 and have been down this route and essentially you'd have to fit a new motor to the lathe. Nova use to sell this motor separately but now they don't. For the cost of the new motor you may as well buy their direct drive lathe and sell the 1624. Someone might come along and provide a solution. Maybe contact Jim Carroll for advice? (http://www.cws.au.com)

I'm waiting to save my pennies then going to get something more decent above a Nova (Vicmarc or Stubbie). I've now seen enough good lathes to know that my 1624 isn't cutting the mustard.

Skewturn
2nd October 2012, 11:08 PM
What's a VFD?

Adjustable frequency drives (also known as variable frequency drives) adjust a motor's speed to closely match output requirements, resulting in a typical energy savings of 10 to 50 percent. I dont even know if this is the right thing. My lathe is a belt drive lathe and I want to be able to adjust the speed from o through to top speed for that setting. I think it may also be called VSD but I dont really know that is why I am attempting to get some help online. If anyone knows what I am talking about :no:could they help out and explain it better please. Some other lathes come standard with this type I think one is a woodfast (Big yellow beast).
Thanks Skewturn

Skewturn
2nd October 2012, 11:10 PM
Variable Frequency Drive. What I think (pretty sure) Skewturn wants is a way to change the speed of the work without changing belts.

Don't quote me on any of this however I've got a 1624/44 and have been down this route and essentially you'd have to fit a new motor to the lathe. Nova use to sell this motor separately but now they don't. For the cost of the new motor you may as well buy their direct drive lathe and sell the 1624. Someone might come along and provide a solution. Maybe contact Jim Carroll for advice? (http://www.cws.au.com)

I'm waiting to save my pennies then going to get something more decent above a Nova (Vicmarc or Stubbie). I've now seen enough good lathes to know that my 1624 isn't cutting the mustard.

Thanks for the advice.:U

brendan stemp
3rd October 2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks, I thought it had something to do with EVS (electronic variable speed) but haven't heard it referred to as VFD.
I know Carroll's does sell a unit and also know Vicmarc sell a retrofit. Their 1.5KW unit cost around the $2000 mark.

Paul39
4th October 2012, 04:04 AM
If one has a older belt drive lathe It is relatively easy and inexpensive to convert to a 3 phase motor and VFD. I bought a 1 HP almost new 1725 RPM motor at a scrap yard for 50 cents a pound, and a Teco VFD for $145.

The 1 hp and a new in crate 3 HP 3 phase motors were about $45. The VFD for the 3 HP will be around $250.

The newer lathes have what is called a C face motor which is bolted through the end directly to a housing, so unless one is able to find that size frame motor to bolt on, it gets complicated and expensive. A motor shop might have a trade in or rebuilt to sell for less than new.

It might be possible to buy a new right size frame motor and VFD off the internet and wire it yourself and not have the mark up of the lathe manufacturer's kit. Wiring is not complicated, even if you put a remote stop on it.

3 phase motors are smaller, cheaper, smoother, and more reliable than the same HP single phase motors.

The VFD takes in single phase and outputs 3 phase and offers variable speed, forward - reverse, slow ramp up and ramp or coast down, braking with an exterior resistor, and other variations.