PDA

View Full Version : Which Chuck

adrian
28th March 2005, 10:57 AM
I'm going to replace my Bonham clone because I just don't trust it any more.
Is anyone using a Vicmarc 120 with the MC900? The reason I ask is that it is considerably heavier than the clone.
Timbecon has the Supanova 2 for $208 at the moment . Is the Supanova closer to the Vicmarc 100 in size and features?

smidsy
28th March 2005, 02:55 PM
Hei Adrian,
I went through this back in November and the general consensus here is that the VM120 is too big for the MC900.
I ended up going with the VM100 - mainly because the range of accessories seemed better than the Nova, and the general appearance and finish seemed better than the Nova.
I'm not sure what system the Nova uses but the VM100 is a T-bar and I think it's way better than the twin tommy bar set up - so much easier to mount work.

So far I have no regrets about the Vicmarc, it's easy to use, the quality and workmanship is excellent and the follow up from the factory has been brilliant - I managed through my own error to bugger the screw and Vicmarc sent me one for free, they didn't even ask me for postage.
I also got the bowl jaws for the Vicmar and you won't spend $100 in a better way.

Don't write off the Cloneham completely, get yourself a set of 25mm jaws for it (the Boneham ones fit) and keep it for small work which it is more than adequate for.

Cheers
Paul

adrian
28th March 2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks Paul. I saw one for the first time yesterday and I had a feeling that it may be a little too big for the MC900.
I don't think that the diametre is the problem, just the weight. At 4.5 kgs it's a fair lump of metal for the MC900.

smidsy
28th March 2005, 06:45 PM
Hei Adrian,
Not sure where you got 4.5kg for the 140 from, it's actually 3.9kg but still a fair lump of steel.

Out of curioisty I put the Cloneham on the scales and it comes out at 1730 grams with the 25mm jaws on it.

The VM100 comes in at 2.1kg, I have run it with the bowl jaws which I guess would add another kilo or so to the weight and the MC900 didn't flinch. The bowl jaws are rated to 1000 rpm max, I've run right on that limit for polishing and the MC900 was perfect - the absolute lack of vibration even with the bowl jaws speaks for the quality of the chuck and jaws.

So far the biggest job I've done on the Vicmarc was a 220mm diameter 150mm long lump of marri which was still wet and it went perfectly.

You could get a tommy bar style Vicmarc chuck which weighs the same as the Cloneham but for a lousy 400grams you're better off with the convenience of t-bar operation.

Check out the Vicmarc site if you haven't done so already:
http://www.vicmarc.com

Cheers
Paul

adrian
29th March 2005, 12:32 AM
It was actually the VM120 I was refering to in my post but you're right about the weight. I had the Carbatec site open when I entered the post and they had it at 4.5kg.
The Vicmarc site specifies "NET" weight and carbatec specify "including insert".
The VM120 is a big mother so maybe the insert accounts for the extra .6kg.

I looked in the MC900 manual but it doesn't have any info on maximum safe weights for the headstock. I suppose you just need to err on the side of caution when dealing with low end lathes.
I don't want to break the MC900 just yet because I have the feeling that it's going to cost me $3000 or more to replace it.
Still..........it would be a good excuse to upgrade.

gatiep
29th March 2005, 12:47 AM
Adrian

I have owned a genuine Bonham, still own a nova (black), a Vicmarc VM100 and a Vm120. I have used and evaluated the chinese clone and have used the other Nova.
My choice would be a Vicmarc everytime. They are properly 'sealed', the keys fit perfect for adjusting them, have indexing, good assortment of jaws, good quality and compared to a few years ago, they are now cheap in price ( not in quality ). I am not going to get roped into a brand X versus brand Y, as I have made my choice from experience using them all. Some turners prefer the lever chucks because they can use them ( the levers ) with physically large dimensioned blanks. I wont have a problem extending my Vicmarc key should that ever be necessary.
Back to your question. On the MC900 the VM120 is definately overkill and I would suggest a VM100.
Happy turning!
:)

smidsy
29th March 2005, 12:53 AM
I would assume that the weight on the Vicmarc site includes the insert because they're talking about an operating weight.
When I weighed the cloneham earlier it was complete with insert but you would expect the clone chuck to weigh more than a Vicmarc because of the lower quality metal.

I would suspect that the weight on the Carbatec is listed for freight purposes and includes the screw, spanner and a fairly substantial box.
Cheers
Paul

adrian
29th March 2005, 11:20 AM
It's starting to look like VM100 is the way to go. Maybe I can put the price difference between it and the VM120 toward a set of bowl jaws.
Damn this is starting to get expensive. I'm going to have to move to a bigger house.

journeyman Mick
29th March 2005, 11:38 AM
It's starting to look like VM100 is the way to go. Maybe I can put the price difference between it and the VM120 toward a set of bowl jaws.
Damn this is starting to get expensive. I'm going to have to move to a bigger house.

Or sell the house and move to a bigger shed. :D

Mick

gatiep
29th March 2005, 01:40 PM
Adrian

Just a tip: Get the Nova bowl jaws as they fit on the clone. Bowl jaws do not exert a lot of pressure and have to be run relatively slow, so the clone is ample. Frees up the VM100 and means you don't have to change jaws all the time.

adrian
29th March 2005, 05:29 PM
Adrian

Just a tip: Get the Nova bowl jaws as they fit on the clone. Bowl jaws do not exert a lot of pressure and have to be run relatively slow, so the clone is ample. Frees up the VM100 and means you don't have to change jaws all the time.

Good advice, Thanks.

rsser
3rd April 2005, 04:37 PM
This might be a bit late Adrian ...

The Supernova2 now has a sealed back, and the key advantage going with Teknatool chucks is that their jaws fit across the range.

I use and endorse the VM100, and have a heap of the jaws for it - and yes, the range is wider - but they don't bleddy well fit on the VM120.

Turning larger chunks of wood now on my Vicmarc 175 lathe, I need a larger chuck but I'm not going to buy the 120. It will be the Teknatool Nova Titan.

See http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html for reviews.

If I were in your position, I wouldn't think twice about the Supernova. It's cheaper than the VM100 and any jaws you buy will be compatible with the larger Nova chuck if or when you get it.

Cliff Rogers
3rd April 2005, 10:37 PM
G'day.

This subject was covered in some dept sometime in the last 6 months.

I have 2 x VM140, a Boneham 130, a mini chinese junk, & now have 2 of the SuperNovas, the last one I got was the Super Nova II.

The Super Nova II has a sealed back & the Teknatools don't rust like all the rest do.
I use them on my Jet Mini but I did drill & tap a hole in the insert so I can lock it on with a grub screw so it doesn't 'unwind' while stopping.

smidsy
3rd April 2005, 11:09 PM
Hei Cliff,
Drilling and tapping the insert sounds like a great idea, especially when working with larger peices.
I found that the VM100 when using the bowl jaws would unwind if not careful.

Cheers
Paul

gatiep
4th April 2005, 12:50 AM
Paul,

The genuine Vicmarc inserts come with a grubscrew in the wall of the insert which when screwed in locks it onto the chuck. The inserts also have a groove for when using on the Vicmarc lathes for positioning the locking collar into. Stops it unscrewing and makes it possible to run in reverse as well as use the r/hand threaded gear on the outboard.

chunter
7th April 2005, 11:31 PM
Adrian

I've got a VM100 on a Hare & Forbes version of the MC900 - its great, especially with the shark jaws on it. I've also got a H&F clone tommy-bar style chuck, which is OK, but not a patch on the Vicmark, and as you would know, not as easy to use. The Vicmark has indexing points around the circumference and on the back plate - I built a jig with a pointed bolt that picks up the outside points - a bit clumsy, but it works OK.

I've used a standard Nova briefly, and prefer the Vicmark's Allen key to the chuck-style key on the Nova.

cheers

Colin

adrian
9th April 2005, 05:48 PM
Just put the order in to Carbatec for a VM120 and bowl jaws.
Now I have to settle in for what could be a long wait. They've had them on back order for a month.

smidsy
9th April 2005, 05:57 PM
Hei Adrian,
Did you end up going for the 120 instead of the 100?
Which ever one you get you will want to do as Cliff said and drill & tap the chuck adapter to lock it against the shaft.
I have the VM100 and the bowl jaws and there is enough momentum and weight to spin it off the shaft when you switch off the lathe.
Cheers
Paul

rsser
9th April 2005, 06:52 PM
Hey, I'm a VM fan, but I received my order for a Nova Titan with powergrip jaws by post in two days.

gatiep
9th April 2005, 09:13 PM
Adrian, the VM120 will be worth the wait mate!

adrian
11th April 2005, 10:11 AM
After all the recommendations and good advice the choice came down to Vicmarc being an Aussie company.
As for picking the VM120 over the 100, I agree that it's probably overkill on the MC900 but it's like buying a big heavy caravan and finding that your goggomobile can't tow it. Then you have to put the order in for the new Landcruiser.
If the MC900 won't drive it then I'll have a good reason to upgrade my lathe and even build a room under the house for it to live in.
I will certainly look into the locking screw situation.