PDA

View Full Version : amazing and creative tecnique

mkypenturner
4th October 2012, 05:26 PM
hi guys
just got a email from one of the us suppliers with their specials
but they got a utube video showing how to create a lightning effect on timber it show bangles but also pen blanks
but the only thing its using very high current and has a warning with it as bloody dangerous / deadly Thunderwood by Mike Anderson - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksd3klpI2Jc)
its amazing to watch

turnerted
4th October 2012, 05:50 PM
Something different for sure.
Ted

Avery
4th October 2012, 06:13 PM
LOve the double negative about what will happen if "IMpreoper safety precautions are NOT followed".

Scott
4th October 2012, 09:14 PM
:o SHOCKING!

TTIT
4th October 2012, 11:11 PM
Looks cool :2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
5th October 2012, 06:15 AM
Fantastic effect, lots of thoughts though.

How deep is the burn, is it durable and polishable.

That it the liquid, some sort of metal salts solution?

I wonder what sort of current he's using, 12,000V is easy enough to attain using a voltage doubler network (or laser power supply) but at very low current.

hughie
5th October 2012, 09:26 AM
interesting, but a bit long winded for me.

Paul39
5th October 2012, 01:04 PM
Hummm.

Transformer: NEW 12000 volt 30 milliamp NEON SIGN TESLA COIL Jacob's Ladder TRANSFORMER #12 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-12000-volt-30-milliamp-NEON-SIGN-TESLA-COIL-Jacobs-Ladder-TRANSFORMER-12-/110960176011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d5bdeb8b)

My thought would be to make and finish your turning or whatever with a water resistant finish. Tung oil, danish oil, etc.

Set the electrodes and paint with a solution of baking soda, strength to be determined by experiment.

There were steamers and bottle warmers that had two electrodes in the bottom of an insulated container connected to the 120 volt mains. one added water and it would boil almost immediately. If the water was not conductive enough, add a pinch of baking soda and it would boil, add too much and it would spit boiling water all over.

Once the object is burned, rinse off the soda solution, dry and finish.

The transformer would isolate the high voltage from ground, so the danger would be putting one hand on each of the two electrodes which would give you 12,000 volts across the heart.

One more thing that I may or may not get around to doing.