PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips For a Good Bench Grinder

MrFez
4th October 2012, 10:14 PM
Hi All
After about 5 years my little Black and Decker bench grinder has died ~ the on/off rocker switch has failed. Given the machine only cost about $50 new I doubt its worth fixing, even if it can be (which I doubt).

Any clues on what would be a good bench grinder for sharpening turning tools?

Cheers

David

DJ’s Timber
4th October 2012, 10:52 PM
That is a very easy fix, if it's just the rocker switch. Should be able to pick up a suitable replacement switch quite cheaply.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you? If you're going to chuck it, I'll take it off your hands.

One of these Abbott & Ashby 150mm(6") Bench Grinder. #ATBG280/6 (http://www.justtools.com.au/prod3186.htm) should suit you, a very good quality grinder at a reasonable price, or if you're after an eight inch one of these Abbott & Ashby 200mm(8") Bench Grinder. #ATBG600/8 (http://www.justtools.com.au/prod3372.htm)

Rod Gilbert
5th October 2012, 11:29 AM
I have just purchased a 8" bench grinder from Trade Tool's Direct hear in Qld and I am very happy with it so far. I have previously hade an abbott and ashby 8" grinder and they are a great unit. This one from TTD cost $68.00 on a special normally $88.00 so I was iffy about it but for that money I thought I would take a chance and so far it seems to be a very good unit run's very smooth no vibration through the machine. As always the only change is the standard tool rest same with the abbott and ashby is not much good for sharpening chisel's but a simple thing to overcome.
Regards Rod.

Old farmer
5th October 2012, 12:34 PM
Many thanks to all you coves for a very informative thread.

RETIRED
5th October 2012, 12:38 PM
Rod. Now save your biccies and put a CBN wheel on it and really see how good it works.:D

Rod Gilbert
5th October 2012, 05:23 PM
Hi ,
Can you or anyone else tell me of a supplier for these wheels in Qld.
Regards Rod.

RETIRED
5th October 2012, 07:52 PM
Jim Carroll, he mail orders. Very promptly too I might add. No affiliation, he just employs me sometimes.:D

Chesand
5th October 2012, 08:07 PM
Jim Carroll, he mail orders. Very promptly too I might add. No affiliation, he just employs me sometimes.:D

And he is a sponsor on this Forum

Paul39
6th October 2012, 10:22 AM
Rod. Now save your biccies and put a CBN wheel on it and really see how good it works.:D

If you do bowls, then get the Tormek bar and SVD-185 bowl gouge grinding jig, and you will have the hot set up. Do not buy the Tormek grinder, just the bar sold separately, and the jig.

Alby123
6th October 2012, 11:43 AM
Hi with buying a new bench grinder have you considered buying a wet stone grinder. Of course I'm not suggesting the Tormek but a Detroit Wet Stone grinder sold by Total Tools. I bought one a few months ago and I'm in the process of writing a review for it due to the fact that it does the same as the Tormek; but without the high purchase price.
The Detroit Wet Stone Grinder only cost me $149.00 and when you consider that it does exactly the same as the Tormek with the main difference being the cosmetic finish ; which isn't up to the same standard as the Tormek. At the time of purchase I also bought the jigs which there are 4 and they all do the same function as the Tormek's jigs but without the price tag of Tormek's.
At the end of the day the Detroit Wet Stone grinder does the same job as the Tormek but with the difference in price being $149.00 for the Detroit and $579.00 for the Tormek T-3. The set of 4 jigs for the Detroit was $125.00 as opposed to $200.00 for the Tormek equivalent.
There you have it some food for thought.

Paul39
6th October 2012, 12:27 PM
There was a raging discussion in Woodturning - General about Tormek, wet grinding, dry grinding, etc. Do a search.

In a weak moment I bought a barely used Tormek and jigs. The money would have been better spent on two diamond or CBN wheels for my existing 8 inch grinder and some Tormek jigs.

I have the Vari-grind set up which works fine, the Tormek jig is wonderful.

If one sharpens hand plane irons, knives, scissors, jointer blades, etc. The Tormek and other wet grinders are wonderful.

The Tormek puts an exquisite edge on turning tools, which in 30 seconds of turning is as sharp as one gets by giving the tool a quick swipe on the white wheel on a dry grinder.

In the time you are putting the exquisite edge on the bowl gouge you could have hollowed a bowl.

Retreating to my blast proof room and closing the steel fire proof door.

NeilS
6th October 2012, 02:06 PM
I'm also in the market for a second bench grinder. I'll use the new one as my primary turning tool grinder with my current diamond & CBN wheels and make my old GMF HD200 into a general purpose grinder.

Any experience/comments with the following three options that I'm considering (not necessarily from these suppliers)?

JET 1HP 8" bench Grinder (http://www.macwood.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_264&products_id=915)
Trademaster 1Hp 8" Bench Grinder with NVR switch (http://www.industrialtool.com.au/Product%20Pages/Trademaster/HD%20Bench%20Grinders.html)
Creusen Powerline 600w 8" High Speed Bench Grinder (http://www.carbatec.com.au/creusen-powerlinetrade-8-high-speed-double-grinder_c21617)

or any other options in this range?

Thanks

Alby123
6th October 2012, 02:38 PM
NeilS, what is a nvr switch as I haven't heard of one before.

DJ’s Timber
6th October 2012, 04:32 PM

No Volt Release Switch

RETIRED
6th October 2012, 05:12 PM
I'm also in the market for a second bench grinder. I'll use the new one as my primary turning tool grinder with my current diamond & CBN wheels and make my old GMF HD200 into a general purpose grinder.

Any experience/comments with the following three options that I'm considering (not necessarily from these suppliers)?

JET 1HP 8" bench Grinder (http://www.macwood.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_264&products_id=915)
Trademaster 1Hp 8" Bench Grinder with NVR switch (http://www.industrialtool.com.au/Product%20Pages/Trademaster/HD%20Bench%20Grinders.html)
Creusen Powerline 600w 8" High Speed Bench Grinder (http://www.carbatec.com.au/creusen-powerlinetrade-8-high-speed-double-grinder_c21617)

or any other options in this range?

ThanksAll good grinders but I would also have a look at the Abbot & Ashby 8" grinder as well Neil. I bought one about 18 months ago but I have had a 6" one for 31 years that has never missed abeat.

NeilS
6th October 2012, 06:49 PM
All good grinders but I would also have a look at the Abbot & Ashby 8" grinder as well Neil. I bought one about 18 months ago but I have had a 6" one for 31 years that has never missed a beat.

Thanks .

Yes, of course, I did start by looking for local A&A suppliers, but was getting nowhere and then got sidetracked with those other makes.

Had another search and did find one local supplier and the A&A 3/4 HP 8" Industrial model is now definitely on and near the top of my list.

NVR - No Volt Release. Most large machines come with them now. A safety feature and a good feature to have if you have frequent blackouts, as we do up here in the Adelaide Hills.

RETIRED
6th October 2012, 07:04 PM
A safety feature and a good feature to have if you have frequent blackouts, as we do up here in the Adelaide Hills.Ah man you should lay off that grape juice from down on the flats.:wink:

NeilS
6th October 2012, 08:38 PM
Ah man you should lay off that grape juice from down on the flats.:wink:

Well, I don't have it all to myself, Tim (the TT) makes sure he gets his fair share too... :p

RETIRED
6th October 2012, 09:46 PM
Yes, I have heard that Tim is the Total Tippler.:D

Tim the Timber Turner
7th October 2012, 04:04 PM
Yes, I have heard that Tim is the Total Tippler.:D

What's this?

PICK on Tim DAY?

Not guilty

Leave me alone.

I was having a snooze.

I'm innocent.

I never stirred anybody.

Well not much anyway.

Go away.

Leave me in peace.

NeilS
7th October 2012, 09:41 PM
What's this?

PICK on Tim DAY?

Not guilty

Leave me alone.

I was having a snooze.

I'm innocent.

I never stirred anybody.

Well not much anyway.

Go away.

Leave me in peace.

Would a bottle of red help?

MrFez
20th November 2012, 10:50 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks to you all for the good advice, however, in a moment of frenzy I bought the Creusen slow speed grinder from Jim Caroll at the Melbourne WWW Show. Very happy with it too. :)

Coupled with my Sorby jig, I've never had tools as sharp.

Mobyturns
20th November 2012, 10:57 PM
All good grinders but I would also have a look at the Abbot & Ashby 8" grinder as well Neil. I bought one about 18 months ago but I have had a 6" one for 31 years that has never missed abeat.

+1 on the Abbot & Ashby 8" grinder

robo hippy
21st November 2012, 03:20 AM
I have, from Woodcraft, a 'no name' 3/4 hp slow speed grinder. It worked fine. I stepped up to a Baldor (top of the line industrial strength) slow speed 3/4 hp grinder, and the difference is huge. That thing weighs about 90 pounds, which I think is 40 kg or so. After 30 plus years of doing concrete construction, I prefer my tools to be more heavy duty. I like to find ones that I can't wear out, and this is one. Either works fine. With the CBN wheels, they work better.

robo hippy

Sawdust Maker
25th November 2012, 01:47 PM
All good grinders but I would also have a look at the Abbot & Ashby 8" grinder as well Neil. I bought one about 18 months ago but I have had a 6" one for 31 years that has never missed abeat.

Did much the same meself - kept the 6" for sentimental reasons (wedding present, :D) and for other odd grinding jobs

Only problem with the new one is the infernal plastic covering over the switch, grumble

RETIRED
25th November 2012, 03:31 PM
Did much the same meself - kept the 6" for sentimental reasons (wedding present, :D) and for other odd grinding jobs

Only problem with the new one is the infernal plastic covering over the switch, grumbleMine disappeared to where pencils go.:wink:

rsser
28th November 2012, 07:41 PM
+1 to A&A 8". Though mine's old and who knows what the quality of recent stuff is.

But if I was buying again, and that's becoming pressing due to the wunnerful grind wheels now available, I'd take a chance on them. Can get an 8" locally for a reasonable price.

Just need to find a place to put it :rolleyes:

rsser
6th December 2012, 11:57 AM
Darnit, this thread has sparked some tool lust. An #80 Norton 3X wheel is in the mail. Also got a Sabre platform from Jim that on first inspection looks like a better option than the old Chinese platform with mitre gauge. At low grind angles the legs on the latter are prone to flexing.

Just researching the A&A 8", some perhaps less-than-reliable advice from the local industrial supplies place is that there is a grey body model for consumer use and a green body model for industrial use. There's not a lot of price diff. between them; I've been using a grey job.

robo hippy
6th December 2012, 01:19 PM
I haven't heard of the Sabre platform. Any pictures? I just came out with one for platform grinding, but it wouldn't be affordable to send them all the way down there. You can go to You Tube and type in robo hippy, and it is down a few. Agreed that most platforms, especially the ones that come with the grinder are little more than scrap metal.

robo hippy

rsser
6th December 2012, 01:55 PM
Reed, here's a pic.

Over your side of the big pond, google PSI Woodworking.

Jim, you need to update the pics on your website.

Two arms supporting the platform should make a difference.

The castings are not the cleanest and there's some play in the guide tracks but by eyeball none of that should be any prob.

My first turning teacher used one of these exclusively and he was no slouch.

robo hippy
6th December 2012, 04:57 PM
Rsser,
I do remember seeing that one. I used to use one from Lee Valley that was shorter in length, and it worked. Never liked the angle adjustments. I made some wedges that would fit in the slot on the platform to change angles. The platform always seemed to move. Here is a clip of me free hand sharpening.

Platform Sharpening with The Robo Rest by Reed Gray aka robo hippy - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7w6yFhw4c&feature=g-upl)

I try to make my toys so that I can play with them and not break them. Too many years of doing concrete work.

robo hippy

rsser
14th December 2012, 02:22 PM
Reed, I had 4 months on a concrete gang, first wielding a vibrator and then working with chippies to erect and tear down formwork. That was interesting work in a way but enough for one lifetime.

Back to the OP: have just got an industrial model (green body) A&A 8". Impressive bit of kit. 900w input, 600w output; draws 3.8 amps. The washers on the wheel inboards are very hefty (cp the utility model). The maker hasn't stinted on the cast iron case and stand and I expect not on the copper either. The tool rests are bolted on so no hacking is needed for an after-market platform. There are only two holes in the base for mounting and they're under the spindle. Will be a bit tricky top-fixing it to the old kitchen bench in the workshop. It stands quite high and some platforms may need some MDF packing.

Now it's a matter of reorganising the bench. It's grown 'organically' over the years and there's been the space for that, but no longer.

Thanks to DJ for the link to Just Tools. It cost $185 plus $8 to courier it half-way across town. Good service.

Oh, and it's made in China and no it doesn't come with a no-volt switch.