PDA

View Full Version : Rega oil cans

nearnexus
5th October 2012, 08:33 PM
Good old Gum Tree - there it was, a superb Rega oil can for $8. How could I possibly pass that by ?

You can't beat these oil cans for any lathe with ball oilers. If you don't have a Rega oil can, then you are seriously missing out.

Or is it just me ? Maybe I'm just a Rega oil can addict ?

:)

Anyone else a Rega fan ?

The latest $8 one is the big one in the middle.

The red one second from left was my fathers and is still going strong after 40 years full time service for a life long motor mechanic.

Love those Regas. Chinese oil cans are crap.

Cheers

Rob

morrisman
5th October 2012, 08:55 PM
:)

Love those Regas. Chinese oil cans are crap.

Cheers

Rob

Yes, I have a couple of the Chinese red things .. They are good for one thing, it's great exercise for your thumb, making those things do anything usually requires a marathon of pumping , all you get is a dribble . One of mine fell to bits , the plunger thing always comes apart when you least expect it . The flex nozzle comes off too .

I did have an old can from a WW2 Jeep, they had a bracket on the bulkhead for it . That type you use inverted , you press the bottom in, and it makes a "boink " sound , and oil squirts out .

Mike

Steamwhisperer
5th October 2012, 08:58 PM
Hi Rob,
at work we snap up all the Rega cans we can get our hands on. Not the modern ones like you have but even then we wouldn't throw them out. We go for the older style as even back in the day they were the can of choice.
Great pick up for $8. :2tsup:

Phil

Gavin Newman
6th October 2012, 01:14 AM
I'm also a fan of the older Rega cans, I have a couple that were from my grandfather's shed and are still giving me good service. The only decent new cans I've found so far are the German Reilang brand.

TED C
6th October 2012, 09:18 AM
NEARNEXUS,

I could not agree more about rega oil cans, especially regarding ball oilers, but you must get one of the engineers style [lower with a long neck].

nearnexus
6th October 2012, 09:58 AM
The two main points with the pump type Rega oil cans as in the photo are that the brass tip is made to fit and seal against ball oilers, making them indispensible for lathes.

And,

You can use them to pump fluid up from below when bleeding vehicle clutch and brake systems (slave to master cylinders). Try that with any other oil can.

The funny thing about filling through ball oilers i've seen in some (American) posts is some dumbies have even tried using hypodermic needles as they don't know how to fill them using a proper oil can :doh:

Makes you wonder about some people.

Cheers

Rob

Steamwhisperer
6th October 2012, 10:20 AM
The brass tips are also used when oiling reciprocating shafts. If they touch the shaft there is no damage. Having said that, in tight spots if your timing isn't perfect it don't half make a mess of the spout and tip. I have lost count of the amount of new tips I have machined up.

Phil

Abratool
6th October 2012, 10:36 AM
Yes, the Rega oil can is a time tested winner.
regards
Bruce

Anorak Bob
6th October 2012, 03:32 PM
I was a fan but....

Take your beloved Rega outside into the sunlight and have a look inside the can for rust. I had 3 Rega cans, I chucked two out because they had rusted internally. Seems improbable I know, given that they contain oil.

BT

morrisman
6th October 2012, 03:57 PM
hi

Seems that others don't like the modern cans :C

Oil cans (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/oil-cans-183311/)

nearnexus
6th October 2012, 06:12 PM
I was a fan but....

Take your beloved Rega outside into the sunlight and have a look inside the can for rust. I had 3 Rega cans, I chucked two out because they had rusted internally. Seems improbable I know, given that they contain oil.

BT

That could easily happen to any oil can if it got water in it, from being left in the rain etc.

The oil would sit on top of the water, being less dense, and yes it certainly could rust the bottom.

None of mine have any sign of rust - depends how they've been treated in their previous life I recon.

Cheers

Rob

RayG
6th October 2012, 06:29 PM
Hi Rob,

Nice score with the Rega oil cans, I have a Rega and a Wesco, along with the usual leaky chinese toys.

BT posted a picture of a nice German Oil can, but now I can't find it....

Regards
Ray

EDIT: Ok here it is... the Pressol Spezial.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f65/189949d1322905343-better-than-hofbrauhaus-bier-stein-pressol-001-large-.jpg

nearnexus
6th October 2012, 07:42 PM
Hi Ray,

That's a mighty fine oil can - for a new one :D.

Where did you get it ?

Nothing worse than a oil can that won't pump, dumps oil everywhere, leaks on the shelf, and is probably made in China.

Rob

The Pressol Spezial.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f65/189949d1322905343-better-than-hofbrauhaus-bier-stein-pressol-001-large-.jpg[/QUOTE]

nearnexus
6th October 2012, 07:45 PM
NEARNEXUS,

I could not agree more about rega oil cans, especially regarding ball oilers, but you must get one of the engineers style [lower with a long neck].

I often see those, but always thought they only used them on steam trains, and you had to wear blue denim bib and brace overalls to handle them correctly.

aka Casey Jones comming round the bend .......do dah...do dah....lol

It's been a long day.

Cheers

Rob

Steamwhisperer
6th October 2012, 08:42 PM
Ahem, land steam engines used them long before locomotive engines.

Phil

RayG
6th October 2012, 09:23 PM
Hi Ray,

That's a mighty fine oil can - for a new one :D.

Where did you get it ?

Nothing worse than a oil can that won't pump, dumps oil everywhere, leaks on the shelf, and is probably made in China.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Not mine I'm afraid, that's one that BT posted a picture of.

Regards
Ray

Anorak Bob
7th October 2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/better-than-hofbrauhaus-bier-stein-144585/#post1410310

An update. The whizzo Pressol Spezial leaks around the pump mechanism just like the the other Pressols I have. In fact every oil can I have leaks. That includes a couple of Dutton Lainson "Golden Rod" cans and my Rega. But then all my machines leak oil. I use empty sprat tins (from Riga:U) as coasters in an attempt to contain the oil from the leaking cans.

I haven't tried a Swiss Reilang can. Maybe the crafty Swiss worked out a way of stopping the leak. http://www.reilang.com/

BT

Gavin Newman
7th October 2012, 10:52 AM
I have a number of Reilang cans - no leaks at all.

Bryan
7th October 2012, 11:12 AM
My Alemites don't leak and the nozzles fit ball oilers well enough but they can't produce enough pressure to penetrate a tight bearing (like a worn lathe saddle). The plungers have too much clearance.

Anorak Bob
7th October 2012, 11:26 AM
I have a number of Reilang cans - no leaks at all.

Hey Gavin,

A question. The Reilang pictured when you visit their website, has a vertical nozzle much like that on my Spezial. The Spezial works perfectly when held near vertical but when inclined horizontally, it doesn't pump.

How does the Reilang perform?

Bob.

morrisman
7th October 2012, 01:42 PM
Hi

I attended a local car swap show today..... and picked up this 1/2 pint Rega for $10

Thanks to nearnexus for putting the info out on these cans .

Hopefully this can will perform better than the asian junk I already have .

Mike

nearnexus
7th October 2012, 02:01 PM
Hi

I attended a local car swap show today..... and picked up this 1/2 pint Rega for $10

Mike

Nice one Mike.

Looks like it has a screw on spout. Don't see many of them. Some also have those flexible spouts. The rigid spouts are cunningly rolled and soldered from flat metal.

They changed the design around slightly over the years.

I've never paid more than $10 for mine - garage sales, flea markets, swap meets are the place to get them - Ebay too dear.

I like everyone else once made the fatal mistake of buying a shiny red lever pump style Chinese oil can in a moment of madness years ago.

It was undoubtably the worst decision in my life. I knew it was going to be a lemon in the first five minutes - soon after the red paint wiped off with the leaking oil.

I hate it.

I sometimes think about laying into it with the 20 lb sledge hammer, but I just know that for the first time ever, than damn can will actually squirt oil out at a decent rate, straight at me. It's that sort of an oil can.

Did I tell you I hate it ?

The only person I would ever lend it to is my Bro Inlaw, only because he trashes or fails to return anything I ever lend him - I'm just waiting for the moment.

Until then if you have a choice between buying a $10 Chinese oil can and flushing you money down the dunny, take for the second option.

Trust me - you will feel better.

Cheers all

Rob

morrisman
7th October 2012, 04:50 PM
Hi Rob

Yes I understand your frustration with the cheap stuff .

I have the Rega working great now , took a while to clear out some crud inside it . There are two steel balls in the valve , they sit in a plastic cage - one of the balls was rusty and stuck . Took me a while to figure out what was wrong . Also the brass nozzle was partly blocked .

It squirts oil 6 feet across the shed now :2tsup: I think this example is from the 1960's , the plastic lid gives it away .

Mike

nearnexus
7th October 2012, 07:09 PM
Hi Rob

It squirts oil 6 feet across the shed now :2tsup: .

Mike

He He the advert for my latest Rega stated it could squirt oil 30 feet. Sounds a bit much. This must be some sort of defacto oil can effectiveness rating :U

I haven't tried it out, but these cans do put out a good stream.

One of mine has a worn brass tip and I must investigate replacing it as suggested earlier in the thread.

I think four Rega's is probably enough.

Yes, you could be close about the age. The old brass cap Rega's are from the 1950's. The plastic cap ones are probably 70's era or later.

Cheers

Rob

Bryan
7th October 2012, 07:28 PM
Rob your picture in the first post shows four cans with roughly horizontal nozzles. So to mate them to a ball oiler on a flat surface, like a lathe saddle, you would need to have the nozzle vertical and the can horizontal. Do they work well in this position?

nearnexus
7th October 2012, 07:38 PM
Rob your picture in the first post shows four cans with roughly horizontal nozzles. So to mate them to a ball oiler on a flat surface, like a lathe saddle, you would need to have the nozzle vertical and the can horizontal. Do they work well in this position?

Hi Bryan,

Yes they work quite OK in that position.

The tips have a kick down in them, so the stem will never be straight down as such.

The pump cylinder/plunger is slanted away from vertical, so when the can is at near horizontal position, the plunger is still picking up oil OK.

As you cant the can downwards the pickup actually gets closer to dead centre bottom.

No problem.

Cheers

Rob

whitey56
7th October 2012, 07:55 PM
Hi Guys
I have a brass cap Rega that seems to be missing plunger parts, under the plunger is a spring with a perforated cup soldered to the bottom on the spring and that's all, am i missing a ball or balls. The spring is worn from the side of the plunger tube [easy fixed] but the soldered cup looks a bodge what do you guys think.
Thanks in advance.

Gavin Newman
7th October 2012, 08:16 PM
Hey Gavin,

A question. The Reilang pictured when you visit their website, has a vertical nozzle much like that on my Spezial. The Spezial works perfectly when held near vertical but when inclined horizontally, it doesn't pump.

How does the Reilang perform?

Bob.

I have one that looks like that but it has a spray nozzle on the end (I use it for oiling the ways) so I can't say about pumping under pressure. The other Reilangs that I have pump well, I've bent some of the nozzle tubes to enable me to keep the body of the pump more or less upright. The oil pickup in the reservoir is angled towards the front of the reservoir so they will pick up oil at a reasonable angle. I can take some photos if you think it would assist.

Rgds - Gavin

morrisman
7th October 2012, 08:19 PM
this a basic drawing of the can i have

nearnexus
7th October 2012, 09:04 PM
this a basic drawing of the can i have

Wow Morrisman I'm impressed.

You have really examined these oilers close up.

Apart from taking out the plunger and washing out brake/hydraulic fluid when they get used for jobs they weren't intended for I had no idea they had a non return flap in them.

Truly amazing.

An old oil can is like a faithful dog, except it doesn't bark a lot.

Cheers all

Rob

Anorak Bob
7th October 2012, 09:31 PM
The 1/2 pint can looks shabby with it's peeling paint but has not one dent. Even the handle's straight. The little shearer's can has been a 30 year companion. Filled with kero and neatsfoot oil for sharpening my chisels and plane blades.

BT

nearnexus
7th October 2012, 09:45 PM
Real nice Bob.

I sometimes see those old cone shaped cans, but have never gone down that path.

My Bro In law has one just like that for his shearing hand piece, I recon lots of farmers/shearers still use them.

They may even have been part of the original shearing handpiece kit (being all Australian).

Nothing to go wrong with those old cone (boinking) oilers.

Good stuff.

Cheers

Rob

morrisman
7th October 2012, 09:52 PM
At the swap meet today, a few vendors were selling oil company oil cans and the pint bottles - some items were as late as the 1960's , Ampol, BP and so on . The prices asked were rather high , just think of all those cans you threw away years ago :C

One vendor had a lot of new Chinese lathe tooling , I almost choked when I saw the prices on the stuff :oo: it was x 3 times the price of what you can buy from CDCO or CTC . Mike

morrisman
7th October 2012, 09:55 PM
, I recon lots of farmers/shearers still use them.

Rob

The day I see a farmer with a grease gun or a oil can in his hand, I will win tattslotto I reckon. Same odds .

nearnexus
7th October 2012, 09:58 PM
Where was the swap meet Mike ?

You sometimes get the odd tooling bargain at those meets, even from the dealers -rare.

I got my Waldown tool post grinder from a Sunday flea market on a school oval for $100.

Got to get a winner some times.

Rob

nearnexus
7th October 2012, 10:01 PM
The day I see a farmer with a grease gun or a oil can in his hand, I will win tattslotto I reckon. Same odds .

Yep, most of the oil on farms is the stuff drippiing out of the tractor hydraulics.

There's nothing like the oily smell of a tractor cab on a warm summers day :)

Rob

morrisman
7th October 2012, 10:15 PM
Where was the swap meet Mike ?

You sometimes get the odd tooling bargain at those meets, even from the dealers -rare.

I got my Waldown tool post grinder from a Sunday flea market on a school oval for $100.

Got to get a winner some times.

Rob

It was at Lardner Park . The vehicles on display were many and from all eras . Spotted at least three Falcon GTHO 's or replicas of . Many old trucks and a few vintage bondwood caravans too . And the stationary engines running and burping - and a jumping Lanz tractor , it was stationary but jumping up and down like a grasshopper as the engine turned over

Some of the vendors at swap meets have had a shed cleanout and just about give away the stuff . Others ask silly prices for rubbish .

nearnexus
7th October 2012, 10:22 PM
It was at Lardner Park . The vehicles on display were many and from all eras . Spotted at least three Falcon GTHO 's or replicas of . Many old trucks and a few vintage bondwood caravans too . And the stationary engines running and burping - and a jumping Lanz tractor , it was stationary but jumping up and down like a grasshopper as the engine turned over

Some of the vendors at swap meets have had a shed cleanout and just about give away the stuff . Others ask silly prices for rubbish .

Yeah, I love those sort of events.

Great just strolling around checking out the stuff on a sunny day.

Never know what you might see.

Sometimes you see some interesting stuff.

All those country shows have a Lanz jumping around and a few old steam engines. Great stuff.

I pick up large reduced shank drills at sites like that. They go fairly cheap and are expensive to buy.

Worth watching out for.

Cheers

Rob

Anorak Bob
8th October 2012, 12:32 AM
I have one that looks like that but it has a spray nozzle on the end (I use it for oiling the ways) so I can't say about pumping under pressure. The other Reilangs that I have pump well, I've bent some of the nozzle tubes to enable me to keep the body of the pump more or less upright. The oil pickup in the reservoir is angled towards the front of the reservoir so they will pick up oil at a reasonable angle. I can take some photos if you think it would assist.

Rgds - Gavin

I'm interested in some Reilang photos Gavin.

Bob.

jack620
8th October 2012, 07:06 AM
Hey Bob,
I've got an identical cone-shaped oil can. It was full of crud when I got it. Took a fair bit of cleaning. I've never found a use for it. The 68 weight hyd oil I use on my lathe goes everywhere when I invert the can. I might put sharpening oil in it too.

I've also got an old dome shaped 'boinker' with a long spout, but it needs a new o-ring.

Chris

Gavin Newman
8th October 2012, 10:42 AM
I'm interested in some Reilang photos Gavin.

Bob.

Apologies for the photo quality but it should give you an idea.

This is one I left unmodified, they came with a thick plastic reservoir, the cap has a rubber o-ring so nothing leaks out when you upend the bottle

A bit of judicious bending of the spout on one made it more convenient when oiling points on the cross slide and compound etc.

They market this as a "spray" nozzle but with Vactra 2 in it it's more like a squirt, very handy for oiling the ways.

And this is what the internals look like, the pickup is angled so that it draws oil while the unit is angled.

Rgds - Gavin

Anorak Bob
8th October 2012, 11:00 AM
Thank you Gavin,

I had liked the metal bodied version, the older ones I've seen photos of had "Reilang" tastefully embossed on them, but the plastic bodied can won't dent. A great advantage. They are available new for around 50 bucks on German Ebay, not much more than I forked out for the Spezial. Maybe I need :roll:one for my Swiss mill.

BT

whitey56
8th October 2012, 11:56 AM
Morrisman thank you for posting the drawing.
Had no work today so i pulled the bottom out of the can and found a ball rusted in the bottom of the pump tube, cleaned everything and found a new ball, resoldered the bottom[not as good as the factory soldering job] and it's pumping 4 to 5 feet with Tellus68 oil.
And the missus wonders what i do all day when there's no work.

nearnexus
8th October 2012, 12:54 PM
I tried out the $8 Rega this morning and it works a treat.

Whitey I had to re-solder the stem on one of my cans (the small blue one with the dents in the stem) as it was split along the seam and I used a small tip on my LPG torch to remelt the solder. Dead easy and did a neat job as you could tip the can to run the solder any /which way. Bit like re-building a car radiator.

I think this is the best way to repair these cans, rather than using a soldering iron.

How did you do yours?

Cheers

Rob

cba_melbourne
8th October 2012, 04:38 PM
I'm also a fan of the older Rega cans, I have a couple that were from my grandfather's shed and are still giving me good service. The only decent new cans I've found so far are the German Reilang brand.

No, not German at all. The world famous Reilang oil cans are made by Ernst Haussmann & Co. AG in Zurich, Switzerland. Yes, you hand these down to your kids. They have a double pump that lets them work even if hold upside down. And you can buy today spare parts for a Reilang oil can made in 1948. Sorry, but their website is only in German language. Nevertheless, a Swiss will be offended if you call him a German.... Switzerland is not even a member of the European Union.

reilang (http://www.reilang.ch/)

They make two ranges of oil cans: "Reilang Solution", the Original, arguably the best oil can that money can buy. And "Reilang Essential", for those that do not expect spare parts to be available one day when their yet unborn kids may need them....:D

Anorak Bob
8th October 2012, 04:49 PM
No, not German at all. The world famous Reilang oil cans are made by Ernst Haussmann & Co. AG in Zurich, Switzerland. Yes, you hand these down to your kids. They have a double pump that lets them work even if hold upside down. And you can buy today spare parts for a Reilang oil can made in 1948. Sorry, but their website is only in German language. Nevertheless, a Swiss will be offended if you call him a German.... Switzerland is not even a member of the European Union.

reilang (http://www.reilang.ch/)

They make two ranges of oil cans: "Reilang Solution", the Original, arguably the best oil can that money can buy. And "Reilang Essential", for those that do not expect spare parts to be available one day when their yet unborn kids may need them....:D

Upside down hey Chris. The appeal is getting stronger.

whitey56
8th October 2012, 07:21 PM
Hi Rob
I used a Propane torch [the one Bunnys sells] and resincore solder, I should have marked the bottom so it went back in the same spot maybe the gap might have been more consistent, I haven't got the patience to do a good job anymore "rough enough is good enough" if you know what i mean, anyway it's not leaking so all's good.
I just gave it another squirt in the backyard it's good for about 10 feet.

Paul

morrisman
8th October 2012, 07:54 PM
Hi Rob

I just gave it another squirt in the backyard it's good for about 10 feet.

Paul

Maybe we could organize a competition , the longest squirt wins :D

no mods allowed , only standard fittings .

Mike

nearnexus
8th October 2012, 08:39 PM
Maybe we could organize a competition , the longest squirt wins :D

no mods allowed , only standard fittings .

Mike

Ha Ha that's pretty funny.

Oil cans at 20 paces.

Rob

xXvapourXx
8th October 2012, 09:59 PM
The one on the far right is what iv got. It works like a dream!
Good buy :2tsup:

Cooper

morrisman
9th October 2012, 06:57 PM
I have discovered that Rega made a lot of other stuff.

Those galvenised knapsack fire fighting back packs from years ago...and brass fire fighting nozzles and accessories .

Brass sprayers , those fly spray things with deadly poison we all had in the 1960's. Only god knows what that nasty stuff did to us all .

Mike

Bryan
9th October 2012, 08:36 PM
That's why the name is familiar - the ubiquitous red plastic knapsacks found on almost every rural property. :doh:

morrisman
10th October 2012, 08:21 PM
This would be nice to have ..but not at the asking price

VINTAGE, ORIGINAL 1970s 'REGA' SALES BROCHURE (oil cans, tyre pumps, etc) | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-ORIGINAL-1970s-REGA-SALES-BROCHURE-oil-cans-tyre-pumps-etc-/261110716411?pt=AU_ToolsHardwareLocks&hash=item3ccb6957fb)

Hunch
10th October 2012, 09:40 PM
Must have done something wrong in a past life, between Reilangs, Swedish Orions, Swiss Wanners, various older Aussie brands.....no rega though...yet to find this mystical oil dispenser that keeps all the goop on the inside! :p

localele
11th October 2012, 07:18 AM
I got my second Rega with my second Hercus.While buying the lathe I kept wondering what fitted into the holder on the end of the cabinet until I spotted the oilcan on the floor of the shed. I grabbed it and tried it in the holder for a perfect fit.The guy said I could have it as it was meant to be there. The spout has been modified and fits into oil cups nicely. Part of the history of this lathes previous owner.A bit like the ingenious rotating adjustable table above it.Priceless historical reminders of the old bloke who built it.

Stustoys
11th October 2012, 10:42 AM
Hi BT,
Not all the Reilang's have double pumps. The sprayer in Gavin's picture doesnt, it also has a fixed pick up, in others the aluminium(?) part of the pick up can swivel 360 degress around the brass tube, so it will work when titled backwards and low on oil. I found a mob in England that would ship the middle size double pump swivel pick up for about $45 each..... I think. I'll check it was a while ago.
Best oiler I've ever used, though I think I like the plastic bottles more than the spun alum ones(I think they used to be cast), also I think the nozzle is now alum tube with a screw on brass tip, they used to be pne piece brass(though it hasnt been a problem yet)

Stuart

p.s.I havent fully read this thread as I've been to sunny Sydney so sorry guys if this has been covered and I missed it.

p.p.s "The cost of 2 300ml rigid Reilang oil cans delivered to Australia would be £59.50. The 300ml ones are double pump." 12/1/2011

one more ;) You can also get them with a flexible spout(in fact there was one with a flexible spout with a brush on the end of it. No idea if they still make that one or not......might be just the thing for oiling ways. I might go looking. If someone comes across one I'd be interested.

Abratool
11th October 2012, 12:33 PM
I got my second Rega with my second Hercus.While buying the lathe I kept wondering what fitted into the holder on the end of the cabinet until I spotted the oilcan on the floor of the shed. I grabbed it and tried it in the holder for a perfect fit.The guy said I could have it as it was meant to be there. The spout has been modified and fits into oil cups nicely. Part of the history of this lathes previous owner.A bit like the ingenious rotating adjustable table above it.Priceless historical reminders of the old bloke who built it.

Micheal
I recall very vividly, seeing this ingenious piece of work during my visit to your workshop.
By the way, I had the first opportunity to use the "Chuck Stops" in a repetitive job I needed to accomplish on the Hercus Lathe 2 days ago.
They work well. Its good to have these little extras on hand when the job comes up.
regards
Bruce

Gavin Newman
11th October 2012, 01:00 PM
Hi BT,
I think the nozzle is now alum tube with a screw on brass tip, they used to be one piece brass
Stuart

The nozzles on my 4 are all brass.

Rgds - Gavin

Stustoys
11th October 2012, 02:28 PM
Hi Gavin,
You're correct, brass they are, Stuart is full of it. :D

Some pics of the double pump swivel pick up for those they have no idea what I am talking about.

Stuart

morrisman
11th October 2012, 03:24 PM
I bought this on Ebay for $15

Not sure if its a double pump version or not

Mike

Anorak Bob
11th October 2012, 03:42 PM
Hi Gavin,
You're correct, brass they are, Stuart is full of it. :D

Some pics of the double pump swivel pick up for those they have no idea what I am talking about.

Stuart

It's a shame I missed the Reilang at the show and tell Stu. My attention was elsewhere. :U

Ueee
15th October 2012, 06:59 PM
Whilst in my local industrial supplies place today, buying pulleys for the little lathe, i spied some nice looking oil cans. A quick inspection lead to me buying one. It is a Pressol double pump, and it works both right way up and upside down. The last 2" of the oil pick up is on a ball joint, so when you turn it upside down it falls and can still pick up oil so long as the can is half full or so. The tip fits ball oilers nicely, has not leaked (yet) and a quick test out the back door of the shed reached the fence easily...which must be 20 feet away. The best thing was the price, $45.10, i reackon thats pretty good for a quality new can. Like this Products (http://www.pressol.com/portal/page/portal/Pressol/Products?Show=itemDetails&ShowId=1741&cat=45&dspMode=Detail)

morrisman
15th October 2012, 07:12 PM
Whilst in my local industrial supplies place today, buying pulleys for the little lathe, i spied some nice looking oil cans. A quick inspection lead to me buying one. It is a Pressol double pump, and it works both right way up and upside down. The last 2" of the oil pick up is on a ball joint, so when you turn it upside down it falls and can still pick up oil so long as the can is half full or so. The tip fits ball oilers nicely, has not leaked (yet) and a quick test out the back door of the shed reached the fence easily...which must be 20 feet away. The best thing was the price, $45.10, i reackon thats pretty good. Like this Products (http://www.pressol.com/portal/page/portal/Pressol/Products?Show=itemDetails&ShowId=1741&cat=45&dspMode=Detail)

How come we always walk out of those shops with more items than we planned to buy :roll:

You can see the quality in that Pressol . :)

Anorak Bob
15th October 2012, 08:35 PM
It will be interesting to hear your comments about the Pressol's performance Ewan. Maybe the oil weepage, a feature of my cans, has been addressed.

Bob.

localele
15th October 2012, 08:48 PM
A question about "ball oilers"? Is it the pressure these good cans produce that gets the oil past the ball?
There are a number of ball oil points above the roller slides on my Tool and Cutter Grinder but they don't seem to like to accept oil even while holding the ball down with a pointed tool.

Stustoys
15th October 2012, 09:07 PM
It's a shame I missed the Reilang at the show and tell Stu. My attention was elsewhere. :U

Hi BT,
Put it on the list for next time.

I'm wondering if its temp changes pumping the oil out? Could the leaking be reduced by not filling the can so full?

Stuart

Ueee
15th October 2012, 09:51 PM
It will be interesting to hear your comments about the Pressol's performance Ewan. Maybe the oil weepage, a feature of my cans, has been addressed.

Bob.

I sure hope so Bob.....The guys at the shop were saying that they are the only ones they stock as they are the only ones they have tried that they haven't had complaints about leaking. I know the guys their pretty well and i know they only stock what their customers want and what works well.

nearnexus
15th October 2012, 09:52 PM
A question about "ball oilers"? Is it the pressure these good cans produce that gets the oil past the ball?
There are a number of ball oil points above the roller slides on my Tool and Cutter Grinder but they don't seem to like to accept oil even while holding the ball down with a pointed tool.

It's two things that make the good cans work on ball oilers.

1) the spout tip fully depresses the ball and seals against the oil port,
2) the can provides sufficient oil pressure to force the oil through the tight tolerance gaps in the moving parts/coupling.

It's no good having pressure and no seal, or a good seal and no pressure.

That's where Regas have always been good - they do both extremely well (provided they are not badly worn).

Rob

Uncle Al
15th October 2012, 10:19 PM
Hi Rob / Nearnexus
At $8.00 on Gumtree, you certainly got a bargain.
I saw a Rega oil can for sale in a Glenbrook (Blue Mountains) antique store late last week for $35.00.

I'm pretty sure I have a brand new one buried in my workshop, and probably a used one.
I'll probably find them when I'm looking for something else!.

Stay lubricated,

Al.....

morrisman
15th October 2012, 10:40 PM
Being a cheapskate , I bought this thing ..more junk , maybe not .

It actually does do something , a good squirt it does , for how long it will work I dont know .

For those on a budget , its a reasonable buy at around $9 . Mike

edit: its actually 6.95 $

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250985466466?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649)

Anorak Bob
15th October 2012, 10:51 PM
And if your budget can cope, Masters sell a German 500ml Pressol can for 12 bucks.

Anorak Bob
16th October 2012, 01:23 AM
Hi BT,
Put it on the list for next time.

I'm wondering if its temp changes pumping the oil out? Could the leaking be reduced by not filling the can so full?

Stuart

I will Stu.

I just had a look at some of my Deutsches Museum photos. The Spezials they had seem oil tight compared to mine. The oil level might have something to do with the hemorrhaging. I'll experiment. Temperature variation may come into play. It does get warm over here.

BT

nearnexus
16th October 2012, 09:10 AM
I see quite a few people selling this style oil gun on Ebay.

3.3" Nozzle High Pressure Feed Oil Spray Gun Bottle Can | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-3-Nozzle-High-Pressure-Feed-Oil-Spray-Gun-Bottle-Can-/280987531479?pt=AU_Air_Tools&hash=item416c2978d7)

Long Nozzle High Pressure Feed Oil Spray Gun Bottle Can Yellow Gray | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Long-Nozzle-High-Pressure-Feed-Oil-Spray-Gun-Bottle-Can-Yellow-Gray-/380477029771?pt=AU_Air_Tools&hash=item589632bd8b)

I wonder how good they are - they have a piston pump.

Rob

Ueee
16th October 2012, 09:27 AM
Rob, they are the same as the ones super cheap auto sell, they produce plenty of pressure, so much that they leak all over the place.

nearnexus
16th October 2012, 09:47 AM
HI Ewan,

OK I guess they are rubbish like the rest of the cheapies.

Interesting subject oil cans.

There's been some real nice looking cans produced over the years. I like the look of the Eagle brass oil cans from the USA.

Particularly this collectable design:

Vintage Brass Pump Oil Can > Antique Metal Iron Oiler Tractor Auto Truck 6923 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Brass-Pump-Oil-Can-Antique-Metal-Iron-Oiler-Tractor-Auto-Truck-6923-/200734770468?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item2ebcb98524)

Vintage Oil Can Eagle Brass | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Oil-Can-Eagle-Brass-/230845164846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bf71ad2e)

They look great all polished up.

Whether they are actually any good as an oil can is another matter :)

Anyone here got one?

Rob

nearnexus
20th October 2012, 04:02 PM
Well I finally got around to looking closely at, and cleaning my $8 Rega oil can and I discovered that the plastic filler bung was quite sloppy in the can.

So much so, that on full tilt it could disgrace itself.

So here's a tip on how to make it tight again.

I pushed a largish tapered metal punch into the end to spread it slightly, held it vertically with multi-grips with the bung on the top, and then heated the punch with my LPG gun very carefully.

Every 5 seconds or so I felt the top of the bung with my hand and when it felt warm I dropped the lot in a container of water - see photo.

Worked like a charm, and it's now a perfect, tight fit - just like new.

Cheers

Rob

Bryan
21st October 2012, 11:24 AM
NEARNEXUS,

You mean like this?

Ueee
21st October 2012, 11:31 AM

Bob.

I hate to say it Bob, but i do have some weep. Not from around the top like yours though, it seems to be from the seal on the thread where the top screws into the can. The o ring is intact and its tight, but the o ring is very "skinny", i might try a larger one. Still a lot nicer to use and MUCH less leakage than the el cheapo's though.

Anorak Bob
21st October 2012, 12:14 PM
I hate to say it Bob, but i do have some weep. Not from around the top like yours though, it seems to be from the seal on the thread where the top screws into the can. The o ring is intact and its tight, but the o ring is very "skinny", i might try a larger one. Still a lot nicer to use and MUCH less leakage than the el cheapo's though.

Yeah, we shouldn't beat ourselves up about a few minor oil leaks. My machines leak oil. I squirt oil into the 13's nipples and it leaks down out of the ways and all over the body of the thing. The Hercus has a pond under the headstock. I told GQ to be careful when he starts using his Swiss Essa pump oiler. I had been thinking I needed to pump vigorously with the Wanner, as I did with the Alemite oiler. I found out yesterday that the Swiss make effective oilers. I turned the mill on and everything was showered in Mobil DTE. Like a flaming garden sprinkler.:doh:

BT

Bryan
21st October 2012, 01:28 PM

Anyone pulled one of these apart? It doesn't work, and it looks like desoldering is the only way in.

nearnexus
21st October 2012, 01:39 PM
Have you washed it all out with/pumped through - some kero ?

Looks kinda rusty and a good soak over night with kero in it may loosen everything up.

Rob

morrisman
21st October 2012, 01:53 PM
I think the really old oilers ... like from pre 1950's , maybe used a leather seal inside the pump cylinder , something like the old fashioned tyre pumps did . The leather seal may have dried out or shrunk and lost the sealing effect .

Those old tyre pumps, if you reverse the seal , so the thing is sucking on the upward stroke, they do make ideal syphoners - but you have to pour a litte oil down the cylinder first , to get the leather seal sealed . Mike

Bryan
21st October 2012, 02:34 PM
It's not pumping at all, as though there's simply no seal. If you hold it vertical and keep the plunger down oil will run out of the nozzle. You might be right about the leather Mike. It has to come apart.

Steamwhisperer
21st October 2012, 05:37 PM
It's not pumping at all, as though there's simply no seal. If you hold it vertical and keep the plunger down oil will run out of the nozzle. You might be right about the leather Mike. It has to come apart.

HI Bryan,
make sure yours is actually a pumper and not one with the 'valve' that opens when you push the plunger. We have both types at work.

Phil

Bryan
21st October 2012, 06:22 PM
How do I tell Phil?

Steamwhisperer
21st October 2012, 07:00 PM
Open the lid and have a look. You should see a bent rod leading all the way to the opening of the spout. No plunger or anything. Just a bent rod.

Phil

Bryan
21st October 2012, 09:10 PM
Something like this?

:doh:

Steamwhisperer
21st October 2012, 09:27 PM
Yep, exactly that Bryan.

Phil

Bryan
21st October 2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks Phil. Time for some soldering practice.

morrisman
25th October 2012, 04:33 PM
The old Pressol arrived today.

It has been given a clean and it works great !

I'd say that its a close second to the Rega in the squirting distance test , but not by much :cool:

Makes you think why the Asians cannot make a decent can . These old cans outperform the modern junk by a long way .

Mike

Ueee
25th October 2012, 09:30 PM
Nice one Mike, it will be interesting to see if it suffers from the weeping problem that BT's have.
I saw an ad in the last MEW for Reeves in the U.K, they sell Reilang cans and will ship to Aus (this may be the place that was mentioned earlier in the thread?) Reilang oil cans (http://shop.ajreeves.com/reilang-oil-cans-351-c.asp)

morrisman
25th October 2012, 09:48 PM
Nice one Mike, it will be interesting to see if it suffers from the weeping problem that BT's have.
I saw an ad in the last MEW for Reeves in the U.K, they sell Reilang cans and will ship to Aus (this may be the place that was mentioned earlier in the thread?) Reilang oil cans (http://shop.ajreeves.com/reilang-oil-cans-351-c.asp)

Hi Ewan

They do turn up on ebay sometimes . I spend half my life perusing ebay ..there are bargains out there , I must be addicted or something .

I think those Pressol cans were part of the tool kit for Mercedes Benz cars years ago .

A few oil leaks doesn't bother me, I have an old series 1 Land Rover :U if you park it facing downhill, the gearbox oil dribbles onto the clutch , causing it to slip :?

morrisman
28th October 2012, 03:17 PM
Another swap meet find

This one a cherry red . The lathe tool holder was a couple of bucks . Now , I need the large lantern post for it !

Bryan
28th October 2012, 03:21 PM
The lathe tool holder was a couple of bucks . Now , I need the large lantern post for it !

Or a shaper....

morrisman
28th October 2012, 03:49 PM
Or a shaper....

Hi

Whatever it is , it is Aust. made .

BTW at the swap , a guy had a nice old Waldown bench drill press , he wanted $75 but he would have taken $50 . No motor , just the drill unit itself . I went back 1/2 hour later and it had sold :doh: Mike

bts
28th October 2012, 09:15 PM
I only have the one Rega. Old with a few dints but it still works fine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/bts54/Shed%20and%20tools/DSC08645.jpg

My others, with colour coding.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/bts54/Shed%20and%20tools/DSC08646.jpg

nearnexus
30th October 2012, 06:13 PM
I had a spare moment the other day so I replaced a badly worn (stuffed) brass tip on my most beaten up Rega,

Hit the tip with LPG gun and it dropped out.

A quick measure, spun up a brass plug, drilled it out to 1/16", tinned it, hit the Rega with the LPG again, and all done.

Works like new again.

Awesome oil cans :)

Cheers

Rob