PDA

View Full Version : Project anyone?

RETIRED
6th October 2012, 06:28 PM
Might have to make one of these. Doubt that I could spin it though.

Spin Tops - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FujYoqBVf74&feature=autoplay&list=PLB81587594EDB5693&playnext=2)

dai sensei
6th October 2012, 08:04 PM
Cool :cool:

Some good designs and options to consider. Those throw tops also bring back memories :rolleyes:

Paul39
7th October 2012, 03:40 AM
Neat video. Any top might make would probably go through the side of the building or break your leg if you got in the way.:U:U

dr4g0nfly
7th October 2012, 06:42 AM
There are some memories there for me. Those whipping tops and spinning drawing pins (and then colouring them with felt pens).

Thanks for posting that one - I feel like a kid gain!

issatree
7th October 2012, 06:16 PM
Hi All,
Well I make a lot of Tops, either Finger or String Pull.
I noticed, the One Top I like to make is The Tippee Top, only the One in the Video was a plastic One.
These Tops are real Challenge to Most Turners. They have to be Square on the End on the Stalk, & they do a 180 Deg. & turn over.
The Mathematics are Horrendous, so the Book Says.
It is better to be a bit of Stable Wood, Red Gum, Jarrah, Merbau, Apple, Cotoneaster, Photinia, & the List goes on. The part of these Woods is that they have a bit of weight to them.
Yes, they can be made in Pine, & the Other Softer Woods.
Don't forget to use a Non Toxic Oil or just Beeswax, for a Finish, as most times the Children will pop these in there Mouths, & that is a fact.
I think if you Google Tippee Tops, it may come up. Sorry have never needed too.
These Tops appeared in The Australian Woodworker back in 1988.
I have been making them ever Since.