PDA

View Full Version : Complete old man's workshop 4 sale (Sydney)

Lucas
28th March 2005, 08:52 PM
Thought one of the BB members up in Sydney might be interested in this Auction on Ebay listed as a Complete old man's workshop
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23782&item=4367311857&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

gatiep
28th March 2005, 09:48 PM
Hi Lucas

Thanks for that. The auction is of no use to me except that it made me think very deep and hard.
The heading: "Old Man's Workshop" reminds me that some day we all get to the stage where we will have to give up our hobby. Some people give up before they pass on, like when they move into a retirement center. There was some gear on Ebay from such a person about a fortnight ago. Some people hold on till they no longer around.
The heading could also have been : " Person's Workshop". Suppose that could mean a lot of different things. Maybe just given up for another hobby, wife, girlfriend or whatever. Maybe moving on like the old man but not quite that age.
This weekend I have spent many hours trying to sort out my workshop and one of the thoughts that passed through my mind was: "What on earth will my family do when I die....who will sort this out for sale ( as I only have 2 unmarried daughters ) ....who will be responsible for selling this.......will they know the value........will they get a reasonable price.
Maybe you havn't thought about it, I have, maybe only because I have had a few narrow escapes. But one thing is just as sure as it has taken ages to acquire and hoard it all, one day it will be given up! OK, so what is to be done about it? I really don't know, maybe there will be an advert in the paper: "Old Man's Workshop Sale".
Not a nice thought, but lets face it, it's very real.
Have yourself a good week!

:)

rodm
28th March 2005, 10:45 PM
Hi Joe
I know where you are coming from as in the last couple of years I have had to clean out sheds for people close to me. Funny thing was I felt I was violating the person while doing it. I kept a screwdriver as remembrance and the rest was passed on to the young ones who would benefit the most.

I have a modest collection of tools and machinery but perhaps we value our machinery and tools more than they are worth? One thing I would hate is a sleezy dealer picking it up for a song and my family missing out on the benefit.

We do have a big advantage because as we are presumably of sound mind we can leave instructions on the disposal and value of our treasures. ;)

Better still lets just outlive the remaining trees and then our gear will be worthless. :D

gatiep
29th March 2005, 12:36 AM
Firstly, please don't see my post as morbid or whatever. It was really just a reality check I suppose.

Rod, yeah we may over value our gear, but what worries me is that my next of kin have no idea of the value. Then there are all those guys that sneak in the tools and when SWMBO catches on, the value quoted to her is only a fraction of the real cost.

On the point of sound mind, I actually found myself making up a list with cost and expected value of most of my bigger gear before I went in for the last cancer op in September. It was just sorting the shed out I realised that the big things are actually the lesser part of the value in my shed. There are quite a number of machines but the small stuff definately makes up the bulk of the value.

I just thought, on seeing that post, how much time, energy and money we spend on acquiring and setting up our complete shed, yet possibly we never think about the fact that it will be disposed of one day.

I suppose it shouldn't worry us, as we won't be around to do it! I'll just keep on enjoying it while I can.

Arve a good week

westpest
29th March 2005, 12:40 PM
re: (as I only have 2 unmarried daughters )

Gatiep...

How can you refer to those 2 lovely (and being identical, each is as lovely as the other) as "only"... I am quite sure the young ladies would be up in arms if they read that description.

PS I am open to bribes not to advise them of same....

gatiep
29th March 2005, 01:31 PM
Maybe the 'only' refers to them being the 'only' daughters in the world or maybe that I have no sons and the girls are not really interested in my toys. Maybe I should try a bit harder to encourage them. BTW Dan you'll be pleased to know that they helped me yesterday to load the trailor full of my unwanted treasures and I'll be off to the tip in a little while. Still breaks my heart tho, because some of those treasures have been in my 'one day' department for years.

Sturdee
29th March 2005, 06:07 PM
I just thought, on seeing that post, how much time, energy and money we spend on acquiring and setting up our complete shed, yet possibly we never think about the fact that it will be disposed of one day.

Not very likely in my case Joe. :D

I know that when I'm gone to that perfect workshop in the sky my daughter will keep and maintain this house, including workshop, by following on the tradition I started when I bought it of my parents. :D :D :D

Sort of helps to think of when I spend time ( and money ) improving my set up.

Peter.

gatiep
29th March 2005, 06:10 PM
Pieter, jy is 'n baie gelukkige klong!

I know my girls will hang on to the house, but I'll have to change their preference of computers to woodwork!