PDA

View Full Version : Do it yourself lino laying?

kiwigeo
29th March 2005, 04:22 PM
Okay, after much humming and haaring and tooing and froing...Ive decided to stick a lino floor down in the workshop.

A question for the gurus in here...is laying a lino floor within the capabilties of a do it yourselfer or should I leave it to a tradesperson?

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers Martin

Wongo
29th March 2005, 05:05 PM
Just do it my friend. It is not very hard. :)

Iain
29th March 2005, 05:10 PM
One little word of warning, beware of cheap vinyl tiles, the glue is attrcious and the damned things creep in the summer leaving a sticky residue in the gaps that all the dirt adheres to beautifully.
We went down this track when we sold our house and in a matter of about three weeks there were gaps up to 3/8" wide in high traffic areas.
Apart from that, like Wongo says, it really is not that hard having done the bathroom in a single piece.
We used taped up pieces of newspaper as a floor template and it worked well, any final trimming can be done with a stanley knife.

arms
29th March 2005, 06:50 PM
are you MAD ,don,t you realise you are working in a room with tiny little particles of wood (dust) around you and that constitutes a VERY DANGEROUS mix of components with a shiny floor ,how about leaving the concrete as it is and being involved in this forum for a while longer than hope that the hospital bed you find yourself in has internet access !

kiwigeo
29th March 2005, 06:59 PM
are you MAD ,don,t you realise you are working in a room with tiny little particles of wood (dust) around you and that constitutes a VERY DANGEROUS mix of components with a shiny floor ,how about leaving the concrete as it is and being involved in this forum for a while longer than hope that the hospital bed you find yourself in has internet access !

Dont quite follow your argument there Arms...youre saying that the proces of sweeping a lino floor raises more dust than sweeping a concrete surface?.

bitingmidge
29th March 2005, 07:07 PM
No, Arms is saying that fine wood dust on a smooth surface will make it slippery.

I have a stippled glossy epoxy finish, and it is a pretty slick (as in slippery) surface, and yes sawdust does make it a little less sticky :rolleyes: , however the benefits of ease of cleaning and staying that way far outweigh the (slight) additional risk.

This is not a commercial environment we are talking about, and you will quickly become aware of how cautious you need to be!!

It's a fair point, but not one to be overly concerned about in my view, and the vinyl will give the place an amazing lift!

I find that wearing bare feet, rubber thongs, or joggers depending on the weather does improve grip over the leather soled dancing shoes!

Cheers,

P

arms
29th March 2005, 07:09 PM
Dont quite follow your argument there Arms...youre saying that the proces of sweeping a lino floor raises more dust than sweeping a concrete surface?.no i am saying that the floor WILL be very slippery ,i have rented a workshop in one of my former lives with a vinyl floor and ended up spraying contact over the floor to get a firm footing,the point i am trying to make to you is ,a clean floor means nothing when you have had an accident on a slippery floor
please consider

kiwigeo
29th March 2005, 08:37 PM
no i am saying that the floor WILL be very slippery ,i have rented a workshop in one of my former lives with a vinyl floor and ended up spraying contact over the floor to get a firm footing,the point i am trying to make to you is ,a clean floor means nothing when you have had an accident on a slippery floor
please consider

Point taken Tom...thanks for your input.

kiwigeo
29th March 2005, 08:39 PM
Okay, after due consideration to the risks involved Ive now decided to go for a velcro floor with matching velcro soled shoes. Might do the walls as well.....will make reaching those top shelves a breeze.

bitingmidge
29th March 2005, 09:17 PM
Okay, after due consideration to the risks involved Ive now decided to go for a velcro floor with matching velcro soled shoes. Might do the walls as well.....will make reaching those top shelves a breeze.

But what if you dropped a chisel or something really heavy? You wouldn't be able to move your foot out of the way quickly enough to avoid a nasty accident.

I suppose you could do the ceiling in velcro as well, and hang off it?

P
:D

echnidna
29th March 2005, 10:34 PM
And you could also hang yer table saw and router table on the ceiling and have more space on the floor. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D