PDA

View Full Version : sherwood TS-250 table saw

EMistral
29th March 2005, 04:36 PM
hi guys,

After searching on this forum, I could not find any interesting thread about this table saw. Lots of things have been told on carbatech, delta and jet bu not much on sherwood
Also I can not find a lot of info on the net since sherwood is a timbecon rebadged brand.

I currently own a triton (I know don't laugh) and I am sick of the inaccuracy and the +/-1mm I need to add to cut the right size
I spent hours aligning the blades based on useful comments for you guys but with an entire kitchen to design and build, I don't think the triton gear will cope (I won't cope :) )

Anyway budget wise I am limited to $1500 (maybe can be streched to $1700). So apart of carbatech, I have found the sherwood TS-250 which seems to offer a solid build, a sliding table,etc...
How would you compare it to carbatech and other table saws within that price range?
Timbecon offers also the TSC-10-HB which might be identical to the carbatech one.

If you guys have any experiences, advices, etc..., they would be more than welcome. Especially if dado blade can be fit in, etc....
I have not technical data and I can't find any except the ones from timbecon.

And don't forget when you compare them: I have a triton so any type of table saw you don't need to add +1mm is already good.
Thanks
Eric

Chisel
29th March 2005, 05:53 PM
Hi EMistral

Tell me about it. I just spent many hours over the weekend setting up my (admittedly old Workcentre Mark 3) triton and makita saw to cut 13 mm deep rebates 125mm long in the ends of 140x26 mm by 1.3 and 2.1 metre lengths of merbau.
I had it all set perfectly - I thought - using my rule of check measure everything to death (that's one of the reasons why it takes me so long to build things).

Anyway, I got it all done and it looked pretty good until I laid it all up and realised that the saw had been steadily dropping and the cuts were getting shallower each piece. By the end of it I have some very strange looking lap joints and I will have to cut them all again down to the planned depth.

No way am I going to go through that laborious and let me say back breaking work again with the triton. Now lamenting th fact that my spending priorities do not include a table saw. I'm going to have to rig up a router jig and try to cut them down to size with a plunge router.

Add to this the perennial difficulty of adjusting the saw in the first place - and the problems getting it to sit straight/square.

I'm not sure whether it was the triton so much as the saw, though. My first reaction was that the triton gear is just not up to it. But then I realised my problems were more with the saw than the table.

So I was first considering getting the new triton saw - it looks beaut, but then have to consider whether going the whole hog and getting a proper table saw would be a better step (if some way off). Or should I try the saw stabiliser that triton put out, first?

I came to the conclusion that it probably depends on whether you ask a triton fanatic or someone else.

Yours,
in a quandry, too

C

Jack E
29th March 2005, 06:23 PM
EMistral,

I recently bought the tsc10Lb from Trade Tools in Brisbane.

http://www.tradetools.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Product=TSC10LB

It cost $930 on special and is now $975.
Included with this is a good router fence which mounts on the right of the saw which will be great until I build a proper router table.
The saw has a 5/8 arbour which will let you attach a dado set.
It has a good quality fence which is adjustable for square.
It also has a sliding mitre table, if you are not cutting panels then this may be all the sliding you need for small to medium projects.
It is also easy to assemble, I lost the instructions but still didn't have to many problems.

If your budget is $1500 have you considered all the other items you will more than likely want to go with your new toy?

I purchased;
TSC10LB $930 (Tradetools Direct Brisbane)
2 X GRR-Rippers with DVD $270 (Northwood Tools)
10" saw blade set (Rip, cross & fine) $110 (Northwood Tools)
8" Avenger Dado set $120 (Northwood Tools)
Microjig splitter $35 (Northwood Tools)
Mobile Base $35 (Carbatec)

Grand Total $1500

I have nearly everything I need for efficient table saw operation and have reached the $1500 budget already.
I am still to purchase a decent mitre guage, either Kreg or Incra which will put me out about another $300.

I am not saying buy what I did, I am just saying there are many other things you will need or want (aren't wants just needs in disguise anyway?) to go with your saw and these could severely blow out your budget.

Good luck with your purchase.

EMistral
30th March 2005, 10:47 AM
I have already some spare 10" blades so I should be safe on this side
The only thing I might need straight away is the dado blades
The rest can wait for the moment

I am still looking for technical data regarding the sherwood but can't find anything

vsquizz
30th March 2005, 04:02 PM
I am still looking for technical data regarding the sherwood but can't find anything
Drop Timbecon an email if you can't get the specs off the website. See the current thread on "Timbecon Website" for their link.

Cheers

EMistral
30th March 2005, 04:06 PM
that's what I did but so far no answer
wait and see

greg.smith
31st March 2005, 06:42 PM
I have a TSC-10HB on order which should be arriving next week. The site of the manufacturer is www.maoshan.com/p1.htm and contains specs for a lot of rebranded machines currently on the market. ;)

Gumby
31st March 2005, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure whether it was the triton so much as the saw, though. My first reaction was that the triton gear is just not up to it. But then I realised my problems were more with the saw than the table.

C

There's your problem right there. If you aren't using a Triton saw, you will have setup and accuracy probs. Try the stabiliser bracket. I have one, even though I have the Triton saw as well. It's not expensive and does keep it all steady. Preferably, get a good saw - it will serve you for years, even if you buy a TS. :D

EMistral
1st April 2005, 11:39 AM
I have a good saw (dewalt) and still have the same probs
Last night I spent almost an hour realigning the saw before starting a new project.
Everything seemed to be ok (btoh scales were reading 0) but then when I cut my first board, I ended up with 63mm on one end and 66mm on the other one.
And the saw is aligned according to triton manual and what I read
so I am giving it up
It will be on sale soon on ebay probably.
But let's stop my thread now since it is not the right place.

NeilR
19th June 2005, 10:20 PM
Eric
Ive also been interested in this saw. My local machinery supplier in Launceston has sold 5 in recent months. Ive had some difficulty trying to get further info to help with my decision. So far, ive only seen them for sale by Timbecon and my local guy however I recently discovered they are on the market in NZ and the UK - and are very new to the market. In the UK they are branded "Fox" and "Record". Here is a link to a mini review conducted by a new UK owner that might be of interest to you.
Cheers

Neil
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1497&highlight=fox+table+sliding

EMistral
20th June 2005, 01:27 PM
I had an answer from timbercon and they suggested that this saw was not as heavy duty as the TSC-10HB.
so I made up my mind and bought the TSC10HB.
that was a month and half ago
I have not used it much so far, spending most of the time renovating a house and also making some jigs (push stcik, blocks, etc...)
But so far from what I have seen, it is much better that the triton WC2000
and it is also so quiet that you could almost use it without any earmuffs - although I don't do it :)