PDA

View Full Version : any ideas ??????

smiife
10th October 2012, 08:22 PM
hi guys,
firstly apologies for not replying to posts recently ,have been having some technical difficulties lately :C:C:C

now i need to pick your brains ,has anyone any ideas on storing those little velcro sanding discs 75mm/3''
ones, i have 8 plastic bags of them,and they are driving me mad,there must be a better way
i would like to know what other people are using?????
any ideas, photos would be great too!
cheers smiife:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
10th October 2012, 08:33 PM
For storage long term or whilst in use?

TTIT has a nifty idea for in use, ttit - The Gadgets (http://www.ttit.id.au/gadgets/gadgets.htm#tree)

dr4g0nfly
11th October 2012, 05:43 AM
I've got a plastic box. I put a hardboard (Masonite) divider down it and keep my arbours one side, then more dividers (crosswise) as little compartments for the disks on the other.

Having said that I can get about 20 of each disk size in it's compartment, so I still have the little bags in my abrasive draw to keep the extra's in to top it up when I've used several.

jchappo
11th October 2012, 07:54 AM
I bought plastic screw-top food storage containers from The Reject Shop. They were about $1.20 each.
One for each grit, they stack nicely under the lathe.

Jim Carroll
11th October 2012, 09:19 AM
Supercheap used to have a colum of screw together plastic containers which are the right size for the 75mm discs. been a while since I was last there so not sure if still available.

If they are all you do is write on the outside which each grit is so you can get to easily.

I bought a couple so could cover all grits as well as my 50mm ones as well.

elderly
11th October 2012, 11:13 AM
The little plastic bags were annoying me to so I decided to spend a bit of time making a box to keep everything together and easy to get at.
Cheers Elderly.236432

Tim the Timber Turner
11th October 2012, 12:06 PM

About $12?? in Bunnings

Holds 50 & 75mm sizes.

Polystyrene for the dividers.

Much quicker to access than unscrewing 6 plastic containers.

Cheers

Tim:)

Mulgabill
11th October 2012, 03:09 PM
Supercheap used to have a colum of screw together plastic containers which are the right size for the 75mm discs. been a while since I was last there so not sure if still available.

If they are all you do is write on the outside which each grit is so you can get to easily.

I also have the Supercheap Auto containers and have used them for a couple of years. Will fit up to 75mm discs.

tea lady
11th October 2012, 04:53 PM
I've got a plastic box. I put a hardboard (Masonite) divider down it and keep my arbours one side, then more dividers (crosswise) as little compartments for the disks on the other.

Having said that I can get about 20 of each disk size in it's compartment, so I still have the little bags in my abrasive draw to keep the extra's in to top it up when I've used several.We made something similar at work to stop the plastic bag annoyance.

Spotlight might have somethign similar.:think:

greyhound
11th October 2012, 07:40 PM
The little plastic bags were annoying me to so I decided to spend a bit of time making a box to keep everything together and easy to get at.
Cheers Elderly.236432

Great set up very neat:2tsup:

smiife
14th October 2012, 08:03 PM
hi guys and gals,
thanks for all of your ideas, certainly some great ones there
i like the tree idea ,but wouldn't it kinder gets in the way,bolted on the lathe???
looks like i might have to go shopping to have a look, ugh.:no::no::~:~i hate shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!
i also like the idea of making a box with dividers in it ,kinder like a custom box :U
any more inventions ???????????

leonw
15th October 2012, 08:46 PM
hi guys,
firstly apologies for not replying to posts recently ,have been having some technical difficulties lately :C:C:C

now i need to pick your brains ,has anyone any ideas on storing those little velcro sanding discs 75mm/3''
ones, i have 8 plastic bags of them,and they are driving me mad,there must be a better way
i would like to know what other people are using?????
any ideas, photos would be great too!

Hi all
I had the same problem, but solved it by buying some lengths of 50mm Velcro strips (the hook side) from a ladies dress-material shop. I glued these to my tool cupboard doors next to the lathe, using ordinary white wood glue. The Velcro-backed sanding discs are just stuck to this and taken off or replaced as required. Previously I also used partitioned boxes or tins, but find that the strips make everything much easier.

Most at the turners in our Association now use a product called Abranet, made by Mirka. Although more expensive than normal sanding paper, it lasts much longer, and I ended up saving on the costs of abrasives. I buy the strips in long 70mm-wide lengths and cut them into discs as required. They come in various grits and have Velcro loops on the one side.

I also have a scrap piece of chipboard with Velcro strips that I can take along to use at demos.

I hope this is of use.

Leon
The Woodworking Association of Pretoria (http://www.ptawoodworkers.com)

smiife
16th October 2012, 07:19 PM
Hi all
I had the same problem, but solved it by buying some lengths of 50mm Velcro strips (the hook side) from a ladies dress-material shop. I glued these to my tool cupboard doors next to the lathe, using ordinary white wood glue. The Velcro-backed sanding discs are just stuck to this and taken off or replaced as required. Previously I also used partitioned boxes or tins, but find that the strips make everything much easier.

Most at the turners in our Association now use a product called Abranet, made by Mirka. Although more expensive than normal sanding paper, it lasts much longer, and I ended up saving on the costs of abrasives. I buy the strips in long 70mm-wide lengths and cut them into discs as required. They come in various grits and have Velcro loops on the one side.

I also have a scrap piece of chipboard with Velcro strips that I can take along to use at demos.

I hope this is of use.

Leon
The Woodworking Association of Pretoria (http://www.ptawoodworkers.com)

Hi Leon
thanks for taking the time to reply,your input is appreciated
some usefull info there :cool:

BamBam53
17th October 2012, 08:36 PM
This is what the Supercheap screw together containers look like. They come in sets of four.

smiife
18th October 2012, 07:50 PM
This is what the Supercheap screw together containers look like. They come in sets of four.

thanks for that bb will have to get down to supercheap and have a look
didn't realise supercheap where in nz aswell
cheers smiife

BamBam53
18th October 2012, 08:28 PM
Smiife<!-- google_ad_section_end -->, Supercheap auto stores are popping up all over the place in New Zealand. We also have a few Bunnings and Mitre 10 Mega stores.

Regards
Michael<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Christos
25th October 2012, 09:10 PM
Smiife<!-- google_ad_section_end -->, Supercheap auto stores are popping up all over the place in New Zealand. We also have a few Bunnings and Mitre 10 Mega stores.

Makes sense thou we are after all related. :2tsup:

smiife
30th October 2012, 07:28 PM
Makes sense thou we are after all related. :2tsup:

hi christos,
did you mean the stores or aussies and kiwis??????????????????:;:;

think i might have solved the problem,found these in bunnies the other day
they seem to be ok so i fixed to the tool stand [aka old computer desk] :U:U
any other ideas would still be appreciated
oooooopppppssss forgot to add photos:doh::doh: