PDA

View Full Version : I might have a Macpherson drill press

Grahame Collins
11th October 2012, 10:58 PM
Hi guys

I am chasing information on a replacement electric motor for an old Macpherson 5 speed drill press.
If I am lucky I might have one come into my hands sans motor.

I know zip about electric motors.What are your recommendations for re powering such a beast.
I reckon the basics are there as those old style Dp's were solid and it should refurbish really well.

Your opinions on a cost effective replacement, please!

Thanks
Grahame

Anorak Bob
12th October 2012, 10:12 AM
Hi guys

I am chasing information on a replacement electric motor for an old Macpherson 5 speed drill press.
If I am lucky I might have one come into my hands sans motor.

I know zip about electric motors.What are your recommendations for re powering such a beast.
I reckon the basics are there as those old style Dp's were solid and it should refurbish really well.

Your opinions on a cost effective replacement, please!

Thanks
Grahame

Maybe not deemed a cost effective solution Grahame, but when faced with the need to acquire a single phase motor for my Waldown 3M, I bought another complete Waldown drill. I needed both the intermediate and motor pulley and its 1 HP motor was an old cast iron end plated CMG. Exactly the same in external appearance as the 3M's CMG three phase motor. The donor Waldown resided in the garden shed until late last year. I had found an old 1/2HP GMF Cadet motor on Ebay in Sydney. The motor cost $40 and post to Perth another $50. The garden shed Waldown came out of hiding.

In later years Waldown fitted Taiwanese TECO motors to their drills. New, they aren't real cheap. You might find a second hand motor on Ebay. You could also look for a beater cement mixer. Often they have a half horse 4 pole motor fitted.

Good luck.
Bob.

whitey56
13th October 2012, 08:36 AM
Hi Grahame
I have a Autolux i bought s/h 30 yrs ago it come with a 2pole/2800rpm motor [not original] and has step pulleys on motor and spindle only, this is to fast and i can only use 2 speeds as the higher ratio's are just to scary.
I see your D/P is 5 speed also make sure the new motor is 4pole/1400rpm and i would look for 3/4 to 1hp.
That's my 2 bobs worth

Ueee
13th October 2012, 07:53 PM
Can Rob and i temp you with a DC motor.......just imagine, endlessly adjustable speed at the touch of a dial.:D

Seriously when i find a DP worth while it will be the first thing i do. Otherwise it will be set to one speed and never changed.....all it takes is a donor treadmill and some electrics, easy!

Steamwhisperer
13th October 2012, 10:26 PM
all it takes is a donor treadmill and some electrics, easy!

Yup. It ceased to be easy right after treadmill.
I might have to get a book and start reading.

Phil

bollie7
15th October 2012, 10:14 AM
I'm just using an old 2 speed washing machine motor on my old Richardson drill press. Its been on there since the late 1970's, The only problem is it could be a bit slower in the slow speeds. I have another pulley to make a compound drive for it but haven't gotten around to it yet.
bollie7

Grahame Collins
15th October 2012, 09:04 PM
It seems it was too be .I have been waiting a week and bit for the reply to my email on the Dp.
I assume the people who advertised it no longer have have it. No probs .Keep looking.
I see at the recycle center there are a few old treadmills however.

I am tempted but, also reminded by
SWMBO that theres a lot of stuff to go to the tip or recycler first,before any goodies come back.
I am forced to clean up anyway, as the fridgee is coming Thursday(to instal some splitty Aircon units) and he can't be expected to clamber over my accumulated workshop treasures.
I cleaned a bench and found something I have not seen in years - the bench top!

I'll keep your advice in mind.
Thanks anyway
Grahame