PDA

View Full Version : Truck brake adjuster disassembly

tongleh
12th October 2012, 04:33 PM
Ok I give up, I can find no C springs, circlips, nuts, grub screws, anything, how do you disassemble these things?

Neil317
12th October 2012, 04:43 PM
I think mine have a pressed steel cover on one side, held on with drive screws.

wheelinround
12th October 2012, 04:54 PM
Ok I give up, I can find no C springs, circlips, nuts, grub screws, anything, how do you disassemble these things?

This would depend on what your actually trying to take apart?

Model of truck Chinese or US.

If its the slack adjuster (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7198138-0-large.jpg) itself or the booster (http://www.zafr.com/trucktcom/brakes_mechanical_links.htm) which of taken apart needs to be done in a total safe situation the springs are killers.:no:

Article: The Brake System – Adjusting the Brakes – Flxible Owners International (http://flxibleowners.org/article-the-brake-system-adjusting-the-brakes/)

tongleh
12th October 2012, 05:14 PM
Not being used on a truck I just want the worm and gear. Here's two pics:

The first type suggests the adjuster nut is threaded but it isn't, the second type has a keyed, spring loaded collar surounding the adjuster nut, neither have C clips, circlips, nuts, bolts, grub screws, etc, and the the large circular gear has plain lands either side of the teeth so it can't be pushed out. Got me stumped.

Chris Parks
12th October 2012, 08:34 PM
Violence can be very effective sometimes. Get a small angle grinder and some cutting discs and cut the mounting. You might find the secret after you get the first one apart.

DJ’s Timber
12th October 2012, 09:23 PM
I've never pulled one apart or handled one, but do know from adjusting the brakes on my truck, that the bit I've circled in red is a spring loaded collar which presses in so that you can fit a spanner to it to take the slack out of the brakes, sometimes you need to give the collar a belt with a hammer to loosen it.

So with a spanner on that bit and one on the nut on the other end, does that undo it?

wheelinround
12th October 2012, 09:57 PM
Atkinson Reciprocater commonly called Slack adjuster

I have also never pulled one apart always been cheaper to replace than repair them.

Look for shear pins and or jam the worm drive gear and wind nut off. Just found this Haldex Slack Adjuster Repair Parts (http://www.docstoc.com/docs/53530175/Haldex-Slack-Adjuster-Repair-Parts)

tongleh
12th October 2012, 11:27 PM
Yes thanks gents, the collar moves quite freely but unfortunately there is no nut or anything else on the other end and no way of jamming the worm without damaging it, I was thinking of destroying one to learn it's secrets, but unfortunately the other isn't the same. I wish it was like the Haldex one, looks simple. Oh well, tomorow is another day, perhaps the good gremlin will explain it's inner workings to me whilst I sleep.

TED C
13th October 2012, 09:41 AM
TONGLEH,
To disassemble a slack adjuster, first remove the covers,these are normally riveted on, grind the rivets off, remove the covers, remove the welch plug from the worm shaft gallery, press out the worm shaft, the worm will stay in the body of the adjuster, now lift out the worm and gear together.
If it is a automatic slack adjuster, it may have a spring just behind the welch plug, this is just a anti reverse spring.
Ted

tongleh
13th October 2012, 12:45 PM
No welch plug in this model, also no gallery. I ended up cutting across the body in four different spot and finally got the gear out. The hex adjuster nut/worm shaft had an ally plug down the centre, so I drilled that out and at the bottom were three balls: Two protruding through the wall of the shaft and pushed into a groove of the adjuster body by a larger ball in the centre of the shaft. I finally got the worm out with minimal damage, just missing the hex head which I had to remove anyway. Now, I have to figure out the second one which works on a different principle. Out with the 9" angle grinder again.
This is a pic I drew of the inner workings, pretty rough, but for anybody else with this type it may prove useful, hope it makes sense.