PDA

View Full Version : G'day from VIC!

CupcakeCaper
15th October 2012, 02:45 AM
Hey guys! I'm Samantha, a 22 year old swimming teacher.

I'm very keen to be the sort of person that knows and can do a little bit of everything. A Jack-of-all-trades, I suppose. Among many other skills I'd love to learn, woodwork is definitely right up there on the list. I can't think of much better than knowing a skill that is both fun AND practical. Next year my fiance and I should hopefully be moving in to a place with more space than what we have now, so I'm excited about the prospect of finally being able to start some projects!

That said, with the exception of some pretty terrible woodworking classes in highschool, I have no knowledge or experience (unless hacking up a fallen tree in the backyard counts for anything). Any advice or tips on woodworking for a beginner would be fantastic, but even if not, I'm sure I'll pick up a lot from the forum.

Look forward to meeting you all!
-Sam

Woodwould
15th October 2012, 06:39 AM
Welcome Sam! :thyel: The best woodworking tip I can offer is keep making cup cakes!

crowie
15th October 2012, 08:05 AM
G'Day & Welcome Sam,
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo especially WIP photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
cheers, crowie

CupcakeCaper
15th October 2012, 02:33 PM
Woodwould: I think as soon as I get stuck into some projects I'll be making the fiance bake all the cupcakes ;P Or possibly there'll be no cupcakes at all since he'll probably want to join me in my woodworking adventures!

Crowie: Thanks, I'm absolutely itching to learn some good techniques and start putting them into practice :)

JJF
15th October 2012, 08:47 PM
Welcome Sam,

Jonzjob
17th October 2012, 12:05 AM
Welcome from me too Sam.

Is there any particular thing/s that you are interested in starting to do and make? Furniture, toys, etc.?

I made a couple of dozen rocker boards for a swimming teacher a while back. She said that she used them to teach her competition swimmers to reach more and therefor swim faster.

This is the sort of thing I mean

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Rockerboard1.jpg

By the time I'd finished I made almost 700 of the dammed things. Mainly for a chiropractor :C:C

issatree
17th October 2012, 01:20 AM
Hi Sam,
Don't forget the Working with Wood Show is on at the Melb Showgrounds this coming weekend
19th.- 20th.-21st. Oct. 2012.
So what part of Melb. are you, as there are many Clubs around.

CupcakeCaper
21st October 2012, 01:14 AM
Jonzob: Sounds like a pretty creative swimming coach! Thankfully I don't need to worry about too many advanced tactics like that for my kids since I teach the little ones (at least for now). I used to be a competetive swimmer though, so I may end up in coaching eventually! I think I like the idea of making furniture the most but it depends on how much space and money I'll have to play with. I also love the idea of learning some electronics, so I would like to combine the two and make some lamps at some stage.

Issatree: Thanks for the reminder! I actually really wanted to go to it this weekend but unfortunately this weekend has turned into a terrible time for my family so I'll need to hang around incase I'm needed... :(
I live in the western suburbs so I'd imagine Werribee would be the suburb nearby that's most likely to have a club? Werribee seems to have an awful lot of a variety clubs based there.

Jonzjob
21st October 2012, 02:01 AM
This may help find a club Vivian??

VWA Home - The website of the Victorian Woodworkers Association (http://www.vwa.org.au/)

Christos
22nd October 2012, 06:59 PM
Welcome to the forum.

munruben
22nd October 2012, 08:21 PM
Welcome aboard.:2tsup:

tdrumnut
22nd October 2012, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the forum Sam, and there ain't nothin wrong with being a "Jack-of-all-trades but master-of-none" thats been me most of me life