PDA

View Full Version : hollow form. yellow wood??

smiife
15th October 2012, 08:07 PM
hi guys,
a small hollow form i made a while ago,not too sure what the wood is called,
but is the same colour as the woodfast!!!!!!very yellow, a bit of bark still on the side
i just liked the grain patterns on the side,have included a piccy of the log
as a before and after ,hope someone can identify the timber:;
cheers smiife:2tsup:
sorry photos are wrong way around:o

Scott
15th October 2012, 09:24 PM
Looks like Cedar to me, maybe Himalayan Cedar? Was it really oily?

ian thorn
15th October 2012, 09:27 PM
I would allso like to know as I have just turn a pen from one of the 2 blanks I had of somthing that looks the same

DJ’s Timber
15th October 2012, 09:37 PM
Looks like Osage Orange

dai sensei
15th October 2012, 10:28 PM
Nice end turning :cool:

Looks like Osage Orange

:whs:

robo hippy
16th October 2012, 04:09 AM
Osage vote from me as well. Hard as nails. great fence post material (black locust fence posts will wear out one post hole, and Osage will wear out two). Excellent for long bows. Starts out very yellow/orange, and goes amber as it ages. Also called Hedge, or hedge apple (fruit looks like a green brain), bodark (US slang from French meaning bow wood). Fruit stored in cabinets is supposed to keep out varmnits like mice. Used for erosion control, and planted as hedges across the mid west states here, 'high enough that horses can't jump it, strong enough that cows can't push through it, tough enough that pigs can't root it out. The wood is also used as a fabric die. The only similar wood is Mulberry, which tends to be more yellow, and not as hard. Great tolerance for cold and heat/dry climates. Polishes to a very high sheen/glow.

robo hippy

hughie
16th October 2012, 10:03 AM
Might be our local mulberry, heres a few pics of a log I have its a bit dark as its been hit with BLO

artme
16th October 2012, 11:11 AM
My first thought was Osage Orange too. Did it have any recognizable odour as you turned it?

Great looking hf.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

smiife
16th October 2012, 07:28 PM
Looks like Cedar to me, maybe Himalayan Cedar? Was it really oily?
hi scott,
no it was very dry and dusty and yellow:U

smiife
16th October 2012, 07:47 PM
hi guys,
so osage orange gets the vote,thanks for the replies and info guys,:2tsup:

artme ,no there was no odour while turning:no:

hughie, it did not look like your log it was a lot lighter in colour:no:

robo hippy, thanks for all your info ,some interesting stuff there mate,it didn't seem that hard too me though!!:cool:

neil and dj, thanks guys:;

ian, hope that helps,we need photos of yours when finished too!:cool:

robo hippy
17th October 2012, 05:53 AM
Compared to some of your 'hard' woods, it might not be all that hard, but very comparable to black locust if you have any of that down there. When fresh, it tends to smell like rubber tires, or kind of bitter. The Mulberry is not as hard, and the two trees are related, though like maple or oak, there are probably many different types of mulberry.

robo hippy