PDA

View Full Version : Gifkins Dovetail Jig

Jonkacel
10th June 2001, 10:16 AM
Saving up for a Gifkins Dovetail Jig. It appears reasonably simple in its operation and is made in good old OZ. Any current owners prepared to let me know their honest and frank opinions on its pros and cons?

ubeaut
10th June 2001, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the Bulletin Board. Here are a couple of links to past posts re the Gifkin & other dovetail jigs.

http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000026.html

http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000049.html

Hope they help a bit.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

John Saxton
10th June 2001, 09:08 PM
I have seen the Gifkins Jig demo'd at a Wood show recently and was impressed with the ease of set-up and operation compared to the more expensive jigs that are about.

Some of the cheaper generic models coming out of Asia are limited in their use.

May I suggest you enquire about the total cost of the template set-ups with the jig and compare others.

For the output, as I understand, it still comes in cheaper that those other jigs with templates produced overseas and you are probably getting more value per Oz $ than with the more expensive jigs made off shore.

Had these been around a number of years ago I might have considered them, as opposed to the one I have now which with all it's templates which is a hefty lay out of PLASTIC in todays dollar terms.

The only thing going for the jig I have, (LEIGH),is complete versatility though whilst costly,your ability to achieve what you want in your shop is greatly enhanced with ongoing product reviews and support.
Just 2c worth

I hope you get some good feedback in your research.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Jonkacel
11th June 2001, 09:12 AM
Thank you Johnno for the information and advice.
So far no reply from anybody who actually owns one!! Perhaps after the holiday things will return to 'normal'?
I understand you can reply direct to my e-mail if you want to be more diplomatic in your comments. [email protected]

barrysumpter
11th June 2001, 09:56 PM
Hey!

I purchased my Gifkin Dovetail Jig at the last Working With Wood Show here in Melbourne. I purchased the full package. Video, instruction guide, all 4 templates, etc.. Watched his demo at his stand and attemded his presentation at the workshop.
Watched the video and read all the manuals.

I dropped the jig the first day (in my excitement) but I was able to replace the damaged piece with a simple phone call to Roger.

The jig is very easy to use. And I really like pushing the jig over a table mounted router.

Lots of experimenting with woods and grain cuts. Just to get used to the jig.

Actually cutting the dovetails takes about 4 to 10 mins. The rest is preparing and finishing.

In the last 9 months I've only produced a few boxes. All were very easy to make. ( I just have to remember to change the bit at the right time.)

My biggest problem was sorting out the wood pieces to start my project with. They have to be the exact thickness and have matching lengths and heights.

I only aquired my thicknesser recently and got my thicknesses wrong on the first attempts.

Anyway, the jig cuts though dove tails only. And I mean only. If you want to cut blind/half dove tails then pick another jig.

The fixed templates restrict you to a certain size work piece. And is very difficult to realign with a key (like box joints).

I like the jig. Its compact, easy to adjust, easy to use, easy to repair, made in Aus, and has great Aussie tech support. Roger and his lady are very, very nice people.

I paid alot for the Gifkin Jig and templates. And I've been wondering if the Incra or the Leigh would have been better buys because of their versatilites.

I've just seen a recent wood workers mag with a few of the dovetail jigs compared. And no the gifkin dovetail doesn't get mentioned.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Jonkacel
11th June 2001, 10:48 PM
Many thanks for your extensive comments Barry. Could you elaborate on the part where you say the 'fixed templates restricts you to a certain size work piece', I am not too clear as to what that means. Not worried about it only doing through joints as I really like the look of them. It sounds as though you are reasonably happy with the jig, particularly its ease of use and that is one of the major criterias I am looking for. You seem impressed with the after sales service also which is a plus mark for the Gifkins.If I get one I will rub Grippo on my hands the same as lawn bowers do before I get my hands on it!!!

[This message has been edited by Neil (edited 11 June 2001).]

djsedge
1st July 2001, 09:19 AM
Johnno - I bought one of these jigs about 2 years ago and am very happy with it. Box making is my thing and for that I don't think you can go past it. It is simple to use and I find it gives great results nearly every time and when it doesn't it is because I stuffed up the process. I love it.

My only caution would be to consider what type of work you want to do and make sure that the jig is capable of that type work as its range of joints is relatively limited.

Cheers

David

Jonkacel
14th July 2001, 12:17 PM
Sorry about the long delay in saying thanks, my computer has been off the air for a while. Appreciate your comments on the Gifkins Jig. Had a long hard look at it at the Sydney wood Show. Will continue to save my pennies.

Regards --- Jonka

Picaroon
30th August 2004, 04:41 PM
I think that you made the right decision with the Gifkin jig ... I have the Incra jig and it is a lot of hard work with results not as good as Gifkin.

Ivan in Oz
30th August 2004, 05:42 PM
Sorry about the long delay in saying thanks, my computer has been off the air for a while. Appreciate your comments on the Gifkins Jig. Had a long hard look at it at the Sydney wood Show. Will continue to save my pennies.

Regards --- Jonka

G'Day Jonka,
I've gotto use the work 'poota,
mine also has spat the dummy :mad:

I'd consider the longer [bigger] jig,
most of my work is [Will be] largish.

Also!!!!!!!
Consider making a Twin router table.
Saves so much in changing the Router bits over.

There's designs on the gifkin website.
try:-
http://www.midcoast.com.au/~gifkins/
http://www.gifkins.com.au/ doesn't always work for me :confused:

Ivan in Oz.......serious for once and it don't feel Right; must be, being at Work

outback
30th August 2004, 06:08 PM
Talk about reviving an old thread, this sucker musta needed a zap from the heart start machine to git it kickin' again :D

Gumby
30th August 2004, 07:40 PM
I agree. 4 posts from Jonkacel since June 2001.....something tells me he won't be seeing any of this unless he's the world's best lurker !!

Grunt
30th August 2004, 07:40 PM
this sucker musta needed a zap from the heart start machine to git it kickin' again

That about sums up my every day. I use strong coffee instead. I save the electrocutions for the shed.

Caliban
2nd September 2004, 09:54 PM
That about sums up my every day. I use strong coffee instead. I save the electrocutions for the shed.
Grunt
I only get electrocuted in the shed when it rains, do you have a leaking roof too? :D