PDA

View Full Version : knurled look

Tiger
20th October 2012, 08:40 AM
I'd like to get the knurled look on some woodturned pieces. Has anyone tried the knurling rollers that are used for metalwork, if so, how successful are they?

Don't really want to go down the Sorby track as expensive for one-off jobs and although they boast a number of textures, I'm only after the knurled effect.

nrb
20th October 2012, 09:31 AM
Watched a guy at the wood show yesterday use one knurling tool,he said you can get them from Vermarc(think that the spelling)
Good looking results.:2tsup:

NeilS
20th October 2012, 10:13 AM
Here we are, Wagner Texturing Tools (http://www.vermec.com/id61.html) at Vermec.

Terry Scott also uses a knurling tool called The Timberly Textura, obtainable here (http://www.timberlywoodturning.co.nz/categories/The--Timberly-Textura-/) when it's available. No price (or other details) given there until available again.

Edit: Found this reference with more detail on the The Timberly Textura (see mid page (http://kirschen.sieper.com.au/cms/uploads/news/april12_ad.pdf)). Was six wheels for NZ$80 back in April this year.

Tiger
20th October 2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys, I think the Timberley Textura is the way to go but they're out of stock. It's much better value. The Vermec looks good but you have to keep buying new handles.

RETIRED
20th October 2012, 09:22 PM
The Wagner is the better tool.

TTIT
20th October 2012, 10:32 PM
The Wagner is the better tool.Hijack! (sorry) I just noticed 's added 'Neanderthal' to his avatar - has somebody just had another birthday then??? :U :;

NeilS
21st October 2012, 11:10 AM
The Wagner is the better tool.

In what way(s), ?

BamBam53
21st October 2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys, I think the Timberley Textura is the way to go but they're out of stock. It's much better value. The Vermec looks good but you have to keep buying new handles.

Try contacting Terry Scott by email. I bought a Timberly Textura off him back in May, at the time they were shown as out of stock on the website.

Michael

brendan stemp
22nd October 2012, 06:53 PM
I have used them both and I wouldn't say one is better than the other for the following reasons.

Wagner is a more solid tool and looks better made. It is longer and has a handle or rubber grip. It has one knurl and you can buy a 12 tpi or a 16 tpi 'cross-hatched' (my term) knurl only. The knurl is wider than the Textura (I don't consider this to be a pro or con). Cost $59 AU.

The Textura has the advantages of being double ended and is supplied with 6 different knurls. 3 different cross hatch and 3 straight pattern. Cost $79 paesos (sorry NZ dollars). I know Terry is trying to make a better quality one so it will be interesting to see the new batch.

They both create patterns that add an extra dimension to a bowl etc. Terry calls it his $10 tool because he can easily get $10 more for a bowl with this knurled pattern on it.

NeilS
22nd October 2012, 07:36 PM
Terry calls it his $10 tool because he can easily get $10 more for a bowl with this knurled pattern on it.

...:U

And, thanks for the review, Brendan.

Tiger
23rd October 2012, 09:30 AM
Anyone know how the Henry Taylor Decorating Elf compares with these tools? It's also suppose to do knurls and other patterns.

Mulgabill
23rd October 2012, 03:57 PM
Anyone know how the Henry Taylor Decorating Elf compares with these tools? It's also suppose to do knurls and other patterns.

Decorating Elf - Decorating and Texturing Tool from Henry Taylor Tools (http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/decorating_elf.html) Looks interesting, but I think you would have to get the complete set to get the versatility and that would be exxy.

RETIRED
23rd October 2012, 04:16 PM
In what way(s), ?After trying both for a while at a secret location earlier this year, the wagner came out on top for a cleaner, sharper cut.

The Timberly Texrura just didn't cut it. It left hardly a mark and any that were there were scratches rather than clear concise prints.

I believe that Terry has been told and may be modifying them as Brendan has suggested.

RETIRED
23rd October 2012, 04:19 PM
Hijack! (sorry) I just noticed 's added 'Neanderthal' to his avatar - has somebody just had another birthday then??? :U :;Neils (ubeaut)warped sense of humour.:wink::D

Pat
23rd October 2012, 05:05 PM
Neils (ubeaut)warped sense of humour.:wink::D

Who needs enemies when you have mates:2tsup:

NeilS
23rd October 2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks, .

issatree
23rd October 2012, 10:51 PM
Hi Tiger,
Why not have a go at making one.
A bit of 5/8in sq. 12in long? hole through it cut a "U" out, find a mate that can do a Knurled Wheel, & I think a couple of bits of Heat Shrink, Bingo.
I'm about to have a go at one, as the last time I saw them they were $59.

NeilS
24th October 2012, 11:31 AM
Why not have a go at making one. .... snip .... I'm about to have a go at one, as the last time I saw them they were $59.

I'm not sure it would be worth doing in standard carbon steel. It would soon lose its cutting edges and you would have no ready way of re-sharpening it. So would be a throw away wheel once it became blunt, which I expect would happen quite quickly.

If anyone has the necessary heat treatment furnaces, pyrometers and know-how on tempering HSS (http://www.westyorkssteel.com/m2.html) it might be worth considering.

Come to think of it I do have a high temperature pyrometer and enough refractory bricks left over from my pottery days to build a few test furnaces, but I reckon by the time I got the annealing, hardening and tempering just right the gas bill will have bought quite a few Wagners and Timberly Texturas.

For me buying would be cheaper and far less aggravation....:rolleyes:

brendan stemp
25th October 2012, 08:45 AM
After trying both for a while at a secret location earlier this year, the wagner came out on top for a cleaner, sharper cut.

The Timberly Texrura just didn't cut it. It left hardly a mark and any that were there were scratches rather than clear concise prints.

I believe that Terry has been told and may be modifying them as Brendan has suggested.

THis hasn't been my experience.

I'm not sure how much cutting is being done with these tools; I would've thought they were simply leaving an impression in the wood rather than cutting. And, when used correctly, they shouldn't scratch the timber.

I have used the Textura several times to texture red gum and it has done it cleanly. As with the Wagner I needed to press firmly on the tool to get the marks and also needed to make sure the knurl was presented perpendicularly to the wood so it didn't zip off to one side (this is when you get scratches).

Tiger
25th October 2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Issa I would love to be able to make such a tool so interested to see how yours works out.

issatree
25th October 2012, 10:38 AM
Hi Tiger,
Yes, well, I might " Getaroundtoitoneday ". I'm one of them, & I'm sure there are a few others.
There are a lot of thing around the House to be done, before that happens.
I have done a bit of Heat Tempering, & really not a Hot Shot at it, but it has worked on My File Tools.

RETIRED
25th October 2012, 10:40 AM
THis hasn't been my experience.

I'm not sure how much cutting is being done with these tools; I would've thought they were simply leaving an impression in the wood rather than cutting. And, when used correctly, they shouldn't scratch the timber.

I have used the Textura several times to texture red gum and it has done it cleanly. As with the Wagner I needed to press firmly on the tool to get the marks and also needed to make sure the knurl was presented perpendicularly to the wood so it didn't zip off to one side (this is when you get scratches).Three of us tried it on various timbers and it was not as good as the Wagner.

The knurling was not deep or sharp enough to leave a pattern.

As I said previously, Terry was told about this and he has probably fixed it but I can only go on the tool that we tested.

NeilS
25th October 2012, 10:52 AM
The contributions from Brendan and to this thread is an example of one of the many reasons that I value my membership of this woodturning forum.

Where else can you get such relevant and expert input, so willingly given, by such pleasant people?

And, if need be, we politely agree to disagree....:U