PDA

View Full Version : Dressing White wheel

Gingermick
31st March 2005, 08:02 PM
Apart from a dresser, what can I use to clean and flatten my 60 grit AO wheel?
Cheers
Mick
(Had to relinquish my hold on the CC today)

rsser
31st March 2005, 08:12 PM
grey carborundum stick, mounted at right angle if you have one of those cheap tables with a mitre slide, fan blowing crossways so you don't breathe the dust or good face mask

Gingermick
1st April 2005, 06:13 PM
I hit it with the carborundum wheel that I'd taken off. Made a nice flat spot on the old wheeel and flattened and cleaned the AO wheel.
Not quite a stick but it seemed to work a treat.
Thanks for the idea Ern
Mick

ptc
1st April 2005, 06:27 PM
Thats the way to go.

Baz
1st April 2005, 08:26 PM
Hi guys, do yourself a favour and get the Carba-tec Wheel Doctor, you won't be sorry. Page 99 in the dogolog.
Cheers
Barry

rsser
3rd April 2005, 02:35 PM
Is that a diamond dresser Baz?

Baz
3rd April 2005, 08:55 PM
Yes, a flat face encrusted with diamonds. They work really well, I did have a grey stick before, not in the same league.
Cheers
Barry

Cliff Rogers
3rd April 2005, 10:17 PM
I hit it with the carborundum wheel that I'd taken off......
Not quite a stick but it seemed to work a treat......
That's what I do, works a treat for me too. ;)

rsser
4th April 2005, 10:01 AM
I use the grey stick to unclog; and the diamond dresser to true.

Saves a few grains of the wheel.

My diamond dresser leaves the wheel too smooth for my liking too.

Alastair
4th April 2005, 12:10 PM
While I am still using grey wheels, (hey , they do the job, and I'm not in a hurry!) I find that the carborundum stick is a poor compromise. It doesn't do a good job of truing the wheel, and leaves it very blunt.

You can't do better than a diamond dresser, (I use the single point type) for truing a wheel. one ot two light passes, and it's running sweet. I do find that it still leaves the wheel a bit blunt, but nowhere as bad as the carborundum.

The best for "sharpening" the wheel, I find is a light touch from a star wheel dresser. This doesn't abrade the wheel, but rather whips round, and knocks the blunt grits out, revealing fresh sharp stuff. That said, it is agressive, and does not do as good a job of truing up, as the diamond dresser.

One of these days, I'll bite the bullet and get a "real" wheel, and then I will be able to confirm if the same holds there.

Regards