PDA

View Full Version : Cool Tree

corbs
21st October 2012, 02:24 PM
Hey Guys & Gals :)

I drive past this tree twice a week and each time I hope that it's fallen down but no luck yet :rolleyes:. It's probably only 300mm diameter but I'm sure I'd get some nice bowl blanks out of it just by looking at the outside. Just thought I'd share, there's plenty of burls out there too. Might have to take the chainsaw for a drive one day and see what comes home with me :D

Corbs

237868 237869 237870

torchwood
21st October 2012, 05:10 PM
There’s Really One Ultimate Natural Decision U can Proceed with. But I can't tell ya.:dev:

corbs
21st October 2012, 05:48 PM
There’s Really One Ultimate Natural Decision U can Proceed with. But I can't tell ya.:dev:

I don't have long enough to wait for "nature" :rolleyes:... it's pretty secluded and quiet and it looks very unstable and is right next to the road. I think there's only one smart and safe thing to do. Just had the chain sharpened on my saw too :;

dai sensei
21st October 2012, 05:53 PM
Nice one Corbs :cool:

Really belongs in timber, but as you mentioned bowl blanks, I'll leave it. Do you know the species, looks like maybe a snow gum or ghost gum :?. Obviously near a road, hopefully not in a national park :rolleyes:. Looks a spindly tree, perhaps some good ropes attached to the top should pull it over. I bet after a big windy day, know one would know the difference :U, chainsaw marks do tend to be a bit obvious :-

QUOTE=torchwood;1566388] There’s Really One Ultimate Natural Decision U can Proceed with. But I can't tell ya.:dev:[/QUOTE]

:no: Killing the tree that way can ruin the timber

Jonzjob
21st October 2012, 07:14 PM
I dread to think what you would do with this one?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Dinkletree1.jpg

:o:o:o:o

Rather than cut it, couldn't you put a chain around it and pull it down. Unless you left loads of tyre marks it would look a lot more natural and you would have the roots to play with too?? Just try not to drop it on yer 'ead !

corbs
21st October 2012, 08:57 PM
I have to be honest, as much as I'd love the wood out of this for some blanks. Unless it falls over on its own, I won't be seeing what's inside it :wink:. I've no idea what species it is, but there's no shortage of them between Nerriga and Tarago :2tsup:

orraloon
21st October 2012, 09:51 PM
If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is looking mmmmmmmmmm

Jonzjob
21st October 2012, 11:06 PM
Oh blimey! Don't start me on that one.. I started that thread on an Anglo/French forum just a few daze back. Very difficult :o

Uncle Al
22nd October 2012, 08:14 AM
Hi Corbs
Many moons ago, and fairly new to woodturning, I was bushwalking near Wombeyan Caves near Mittagong, and found a fallen branch of a tree similar to yours. It had the most fantastic swirly and gnarly smooth bark, which to my mind translated into the most incredible grain imaginable.
The branch was about 3 inches diameter and 3 metres or so long, and unfortunately about 3 kilometres from our camp site and car. Anyway, with the help of several mates, I dragged my prized timber with the most incredible grain up hill, through creek crossings and rough tracks back to camp and eventually home.

Having no idea of the species, I took it down to my local woodturners club to gloat and have it identified as 'Snowgum'.

Fabulous find I thought. With a dozen turners looking on as I turned a bud vase out of my unusual and incredibly interesting bark branch, I revealed one of the blandest grained timbers I had ever come across. Talk about disappointing! :~ It turned O.K, and burnt really well.

Happy turning,
Uncle Al...

angryranga
23rd October 2012, 12:12 PM
Corbs just cut that stump off that is at the base of the tree, it should give you some idea of what it will be like.

corbs
23rd October 2012, 03:59 PM
Corbs just cut that stump off that is at the base of the tree, it should give you some idea of what it will be like.

Not a bad idea, will look at it on the way through next time and see if the termites have found it yet. There's plenty of termites out there so it might not be worth doing that.

I'm not going to drop this tree but if I find it down one day then it's fair game and I will return with the chainsaw :2tsup:

Christos
25th October 2012, 09:41 PM
... if I find it down one day then it's fair game and I will return with the chainsaw :2tsup:

Yes officer I found it this way, I am only collecting some wood before it rots. :lb: